Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What will we spend the Apple money on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You can't just chuck 13 billion quid into a current account...

Would it be OK if it was just resting there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Dionysis wrote: »
    I need someone to explain the following?
    Ireland is in trouble with the EU for not taking tax due from Apple.
    At the same time, other countries are claiming that some of this money is due to them.
    Then, why;
    a) is Ireland in trouble for uncollected taxes that are due to other countries?
    b) why are the other countries not in trouble for not collecting their taxes from Apple.
    c) if the other countries did not know about the monies, then why is it just not an issue between Apple and the other countries, and leave Ireland, out of it.

What should we do with the money?
    Spend all of it on paying back national debt owed. Our debt is far too high since 2009.
    If there was to be an argument to spend, I would spend it only on capital projects that don’t incur additional year on year increases to the national budget, as we won’t have the funds again the following year.
    Rebuild hospitals, schools, or build roads, or to install high speed fiber optic cable across the whole country. This later item, is the biggest deficit in the country to date and the hidden payback to the national coffers would be immense. People could work from home more, or work from home in locations that are rural, (I.e. work for someone in America from rural Galway). Keeps people living in rural locations and reduces people on our roads and the need for motorway infrastructure. Connectivity, high speed, is the biggest payback in the modern society.

The other European countries are not owed that tax (some retail profits aside maybe).

Apple is a manufacturing company. Despite what the British press says it doesn’t transfer money by booking it in Ireland. Like all manufacturing companies it earns wholesale prices when it sells and should pay taxes on those profits where HQ is.

The situation is more complex with the US which claims the profits on the overseas earnings of its own companies. Apple might either pay the bill here and get a refund there or the US might claim the taxes here. The US disputes the European case.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Private sector worker here, yeah no we don't

Yeh you do. Someday you will be tossed on a slag heap and the lack of unions might be the cause.

When unions were strong wages were strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeh you do. Someday you will be tossed on a slag heap and the lack of unions might be the cause.

When unions were strong wages were strong.

My wages are pretty strong, ive great benefits and ive a good relationship with my company that would be destroyed if there was a combative union involved.

If i ever do get let go for whatever reason it will be either my own fault or the company in trouble and ill do what any sane person would do and look for another job instead of trying to find someone to blame for my problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You can't just chuck 13 billion quid into a current account...

What happens if you try?

What if I aquire super mind writing powers and due to everyones new found generosity towards me I start getting loads of transfers from millionaires and billionaires around the world? At what point does the bank call me and tell me I have enough ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What happens if you try?

What if I aquire super mind writing powers and due to everyones new found generosity towards me I start getting loads of transfers from millionaires and billionaires around the world? At what point does the bank call me and tell me I have enough ?

You get to become Crown Prince of Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's clearly obvious what we need to do with this money, we clearly need encourage orange into the country, we could do this by offering them even better tax breaks than apple, the competition would be mighty, everyone wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It will all be pissed away and wasted - no working Irish person will see a penny of that money.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

More plug sockets for everyone. You can never have enough.

Sleepy wrote: »
    No, you ask the various banks which of them will pay you the highest interest on the short-term liquidity you're providing them with.

Shocking carry on.
    Ten years ago that might have been Anglo Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Buy everybody a big mac and a cinema ticket.

Then if there's any money left build a massive rollercoaster over the capital city.

My wages are pretty strong, ive great benefits and ive a good relationship with my company that would be destroyed if there was a combative union involved.

If i ever do get let go for whatever reason it will be either my own fault or the company in trouble and ill do what any sane person would do and look for another job instead of trying to find someone to blame for my problems

You are probably in IT. That ship will sail in the next few years and you will be unemployed and without recourse to benefits that a union will give you - at the very least redundancy. I guarantee that the vast majority of people in IT will be thrown on some slag heap before they are 50 as companies flee Ireland.

You are probably in IT. That ship will sail in the next few years and you will be unemployed and without recourse to benefits that a union will give you - at the very least redundancy. I guarantee that the vast majority of people in IT will be thrown on some slag heap before they are 50 as companies flee Ireland.

Arent you a ray of sunshine and no im not, also how would a union save me if all the companies according to you are leaving anyway?

If you think i don't have a backup plan for ever being let go due to any reason your quite naive. I don't understand why everyone expects others to help them when they are in trouble.

even though i do understand where you re coming from, i think its impossible to know what exactly is gonna happen in the future to some sectors of the job market, we ve no real way of knowing this, but of course we can hypothesis and basically guess what 'might' happen, and some of these guesses will actually be fairly accurate, more so due to luck. theres no question there will be winners and losers from these changes, our job now is to make sure everybody is 'ok' when these changes occur, i.e. people have enough to survive and people have access to things that are absolutely required for that survival etc. unions do play a part in this requirement, but some people chose not to be a part of that, and thats ok to, its just important that the future of both union and non union members are secure.

Arent you a ray of sunshine and no im not, also how would a union save me if all the companies according to you are leaving anyway?

If you think i don't have a backup plan for ever being let go due to any reason your quite naive. I don't understand why everyone expects others to help them when they are in trouble.

unfortunately, life is not black or white, like some believe it to be, or we re somewhat being lead to believe. we are not born into equality and life can indeed can become more unequal for many, due to, sometimes, simply reasons but generally for very complex reasons. when some end up in trouble, they simply do not have the resources to solve their issues, for various different reasons, failing to address these issues can and does lead to even more complex social issues, hence our requirement to deal with these issues collectively. empathy is very important in these situations, which sometimes can be lacking, in ways we re becoming a very cold species, lacking in empathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

The problem isn't just the Apple scenario. They're probably unlikely to move anyway.

However, if the state were to just accept this ruling and rollover on it, we would be admitting to having been running a dodgy tax system where Revenue cut unofficial deals with companies. That's effectively what the Commission is alleging and the state is absolutely denying it and saying that the Commission is retrospectively reinterpreting laws to overstep its role into areas of taxation.

Yeah it's a lot of money, but the big picture is that we could set a precedent where the entire FDI strategy we've run for decades is not only changed from this point forward, but that it would be retrospectively reviewed and companies based here would be handed huge tax bills.

If we lose this case, it could have very serious economic consequences, far beyond any €13 billion of theoretically unpaid tax.

Ireland has changed many of its taxation rules and is currently in a position that's acceptable to the Commission based on current policies.

The payment of the money into the escrow accounts isn't really an issue. The state will also get all of that money back as the amount is invested and will turn a profit that will cover the costs easily.

What the state was trying to avoid was creating a €13 billion liability on the books and a huge risk. For example if the funds it were invested in didn't go as planned, the state could be left owing large amounts of money to Apple if the case is won.

You've also got to remember that Apple could also turn around and say the state assured them that they were tax complaint and then years later presented them with a huge bill. That could end up in court in Ireland and could be found to be unenforceable. Apple could even potentially sue the state attempting to prove negligence or simklar.. I doubt they would have any motivation to do so, but other companies could be far more ruthless if they were faced with similar and didn't have huge cash reserves. I mean it's not inconceivable that the EC might go after a company that was highly profitable years ago and is no longer so. That would be a scenario where I suspect you'd see lawsuits against the Revenue and the state.

This isn't really a situation where Ireland can just accept the ruling. It's one of those awkward legal messes where you're cannot admit liability and have to defend something on the grounds of being technically correct. It's not about political morals of past Irish taxation policies. That's something for political debate about current policies.

Also politically, we would want to be careful not to shoot ourselves in both feet over what is theoretical tax revenue at present. It would be nice, but not if it unravels Ireland's FDI legacy.

So, unfortunately, we don't really have the luxury of second guessing the morality of previous Irish policies as it's the current generation who will be left with the bill if we do.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    unfortunately, life is not black or white, like some believe it to be, or we re somewhat being lead to believe. we are not born into equality and life can indeed can become more unequal for many, due to, sometimes, simply reasons but generally for very complex reasons. when some end up in trouble, they simply do not have the resources to solve their issues, for various different reasons, failing to address these issues can and does lead to even more complex social issues, hence our requirement to deal with these issues collectively. empathy is very important in these situations, which sometimes can be lacking, in ways we re becoming a very cold species, lacking in empathy.

Yes and thats what social welfare is for and im not against that but the impression that poster gives of unions is they will make your company keep you employed regardless of the situation that company is in. It stinks of mad ruth coppingers "just nationliase it" attitude

Many union heads seem to confuse unions for state companies and unions for private companies. A private company can't just go running to the govt asking for more money, if they are out of money then they are out of money and no stamping of feet and sensationalist talking heads is going to change that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think we should invest it all in apple shares.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Most of it is owed to other EU countries and will be distributed by us accordingly (naturally pending the outcome of the court case).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It will be repatriated - Apple have already said that.

It could only be repatriated to the US if Apple won their appeal, which they won't. Ireland gets to keep the money when Apple loses the appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Samsung shares.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

how would a union save me if all the companies according to you are leaving anyway?

Oooh oooh, me me, I know this one.

The Unions would save your job and prevent the company leaving by organising a strike and strategically placing pickets ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Wanderer78 wrote: »

:confused:

Sir Humphrey Appleby, is that you??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

cnocbui wrote: »
    The only thing that money should be spent on is paying off National debt, which currently stands at €207 billion, or €43,431 hanging over the heads of every man woman and child in the country.
    The debt will never be cleared without the amount of waste and mismanagement in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

A nice 'pie in the sky sea' project would be to follow China's example of 'sea reclamation & island building'.

Namely, dump a few spare (useless) aul mountains into the sea, SW off Mizen Head 51° 26′ 52″ N and head towards Ponta Delgada 36°N or thereabouts.

Considering 90% of Irish territory is underwater, use it.
    Having the equivalent of the Florida Keys stretching out hundreds of miles to 'sunny-times' would save folks a packet instead of flying out to Santa Ponsa.

The people of Cork can adopt the flamingo as a new mascot, and the surfing would be just gnarly down there.

Best of all, many could escape the rotten Siberian winds due over here after this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

land link to the uk.

hydro /wind power generation mentioned a few years back. said we could be energy self sufficent with three four years would be good. control energy control your cost of goods production

land link to the uk.

hydro /wind power generation mentioned a few years back. said we could be energy self sufficent with three four years would be good. control energy control your cost of goods production

Actually thats one thing id love to see, us making a proper wind farm our at seas and getting further toward being able to power ourselves independently and potentially start selling to the UK via the inter connector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

land link to the uk.

Or straight to market (Europe) (Brittany) as well as that tropical extension out in the SW. Tidal energy is more consistent than wind, build the floating bridges on top of that.

cFaVB5l.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Or straight to market (Europe) (Brittany) as well as that tropical extension out in the SW. Tidal energy is more consistent than wind, build the floating bridges on top of that.

cFaVB5l.png

the hydro , wind option was to be used therefore tidal would not be needed. I think the bail out terms dictate any such wind monies have to be out towards the national debt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

A nice 'pie in the sky sea' project would be to follow China's example of 'sea reclamation & island building'.

Namely, dump a few spare (useless) aul mountains into the sea, SW off Mizen Head 51° 26′ 52″ N and head towards Ponta Delgada 36°N or thereabouts.

Chuck a few SAMs on them as well, sure why not

Advertisement