Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get rid of Hawkeye

• 18-09-2016 11:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭

Mayo scored a point today, the umpire rose the flag, a few seconds later the ref called hawkeye and the ball was exactly over the bar, Hawkeye said Nil, and Mayo were deducted a valuable point which could have saw Sam heading west. The Umpires decision should have stood as he was happy to award the point.

Hawkeye should be got rid of it is only implemented in Croke Park and not every stadium around the country and it another money grabbing racket for the Grab All Association, sponsored by Specsavers.

Similarly in the 2014 All-Ireland Hurling Final, Hawkeye ruled a Tipperary point at the dying breath to be Nil when it was exactly over the bar, most umpires would have given it but these umpires chickened out and let Hawkeye decide.

It also cost the Limerick Minor Hurlers an All-Ireland Semi-Final in 2013 by denying them a point which was inside.

It seems the GAA are happy to use technology like this but a video match official if introduced today would have reduced Dublin to 13 men for senseless acts of violence.

I thought the referee did a much better job than David Gough did in the semi-final but so much needs to be addressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

So you dont trust Hawkeye?

Or you think that when the ball goes over the post, it should be a point?

Not really getting your justification for wanting to get rid of it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There's no point TCD , it's not about Hawkeye it's about the semi final ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Get rid of it, it's done more harm than good..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What do the rules say? Was hawkeye right or was the umpire?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What do the rules say? Was hawkeye right or was the umpire?

The officials are allowed to over-rule Hawkeye as far I am aware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Alot of top tennis players don't trust it either. They sometimes challenge calls for the craic. Its actually not all that accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Mayo scored a point today, the umpire rose the flag, a few seconds later the ref called hawkeye and the ball was exactly over the bar, Hawkeye said Nil, and Mayo were deducted a valuable point which could have saw Sam heading west. The Umpires decision should have stood as he was happy to award the point.

I think the problem is that Hawkeye is obviously residing in Dublin (despite being from outside the pale) and has been assimilated into the Dublin back room team. He's incapable of making a neutral decision.

Between referees and Hawkeyes moving to Dublin there just isn't any neutrals left to officiate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

So you dont trust Hawkeye?

Or you think that when the ball goes over the post, it should be a point?

What use is Hawkeye, its only seen as a way for Umpires to avoid taking any responsibility or big decisions, either go 100% Hawkeye and get rid of Umpires or else keep the Umpires and allow benefit of the doubt and get rid of Hawkeye completely. Its used in no regional grounds and it should only be employed in conjunction with a TV Match Referee which would cut out alot of the acts of thuggery we see way too often in our sport.

Hawkeye does not work for Goals, an umpires decision there is final and OK if your unsure call in Hawkeye but why call it in after you have already committed yourself to awarding the point. No way Hawkeye should have been called for, it was a 50:50 call and the Umpires decision should have stood. Dublin can be thankful tonight for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Alot of top tennis players don't trust it either. They sometimes challenge calls for the craic. Its actually not all that accurate

Really? Do they not challenge the umpires by asking for Hawkeye? I've never seen them challenge the challenge/Hawkeye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I was at the match today...hawkeye wasn't used?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Hawkeye should be got rid of it is only implemented in Croke Park and not every stadium around the country and it another money grabbing racket for the Grab All Association, sponsored by Specsavers.

Hawkeye wasn't used once in the senior final today.

Barlett wrote: »
    I was at the match today...hawkeye wasn't used?:confused:

Used once in the minor match today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Dublin can be thankful tonight for that.

Very thankful. Along with the two lucky goals it kept us in it.
    Mayo should win the replay though obviously.
    And your minor team should win the senior all ireland next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Used once in the minor match today

Oh right he must be talking about Galway rather than Mayo then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Hawkeye's wife was sitting in the stand in a galway jersey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The officials are allowed to over-rule Hawkeye as far I am aware.

I am sure they are but is Hawkeye correct in this case where the ball is exactly over the bar?

Ted111 wrote: »
    Hawkeye's wife was sitting in the stand in a galway jersey.

Whatever about Hawkeye, the Wife is ALWAYS right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

PARlance wrote: »
    Really? Do they not challenge the umpires by asking for Hawkeye? I've never seen them challenge the challenge

That's what I mean they sometimes challenge a call by the umpire in the hope Hawkeye will be inaccurate and over rule umpire

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/djokovic-resists-hawk-eye-calls-1990418.html

http://m.rediff.com/sports/2007/mar/02nadal.htm

What use is Hawkeye, its only seen as a way for Umpires to avoid taking any responsibility or big decisions, either go 100% Hawkeye and get rid of Umpires or else keep the Umpires and allow benefit of the doubt and get rid of Hawkeye completely. Its used in no regional grounds and it should only be employed in conjunction with a TV Match Referee which would cut out alot of the acts of thuggery we see way too often in our sport.

Hawkeye does not work for Goals, an umpires decision there is final and OK if your unsure call in Hawkeye but why call it in after you have already committed yourself to awarding the point. No way Hawkeye should have been called for, it was a 50:50 call and the Umpires decision should have stood. Dublin can be thankful tonight for that.

1) No, it is not. Like any technology, it is intended as an aide to help the umpire do this job.

2) Hawkeye is not called in after. Hawkeye contacts the referee to tell him he might want to review that point with the technology. It is still up to the referee to go to hawkeye (which is why he signals it). Would you prefer that an unfair point is awarded to the team instead of going to Hawkeye? Ultimately, the winners of our game is decided by who is the most accurate team and scores the most points. If any system makes that fairer, then I see no reason to discontinue it.

I do agree with you that Hawkeye should be used for goals and am flabbergasted that it is not used....

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am sure they are but is Hawkeye correct in this case where the ball is exactly over the bar?

Hawkeye & the umpire adhere to the same rules.

If the umpire deems the ball to be directly over the post, then he should wave it wide. Hawkeye does the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Hawkeye wasn't used once in the senior final today.

Ok, thank you. I thought I had fallen and hit my head or something....

That's what I mean they sometimes challenge a call by the umpire in the hope Hawkeye will be inaccurate

No they don’t.

Hawkeye & the umpire adhere to the same rules.

If the umpire deems the ball to be directly over the post, then he should wave it wide. Hawkeye does the same.

So Hawkeye was right in this case and the umpire wrong? Seems like a success so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Mayo got a point that was wide. I think you were on fkn Xbox or something!

As for Dublin being reduced to 13, well in fairness the returns from Mayo's diving were poor today.

did you ever think of entering a diving team in the Olympics? couldn't possibly be as sh1t as your football team.

Rather sad to see people celebrating a draw, but I suppose that is as good as it gets, is it not? ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

This is not about Hawkeye or the match today, this is about another sly dig at Dublin and how they have the refs and GAA top brass in there pockets,check out his posts,he/she still hasent got over Kerry being ****e and being beaten time n time again lately by the dubs.

A bitter bitter sore Kerry loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

This is not about Hawkeye or the match today, this is about another sly dig at Dublin and how they have the refs and GAA top brass in there pockets,check out his posts,he/she still hasent got over Kerry being ****e and being beaten time n time again lately by the dubs.

A bitter bitter sore Kerry loser.

You sure know how to make a reasonable point people will take seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

elefant wrote: »

Read his/her posts from yesterday, nothing at all to do with the match,sorry on ph,big fingers, I let his/her own posts speak for the selfs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A ball over the vertical posts is wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mayo got a point that was wide. I think you were on fkn Xbox or something!

As for Dublin being reduced to 13, well in fairness the returns from Mayo's diving were poor today.

did you ever think of entering a diving team in the Olympics? couldn't possibly be as sh1t as your football team.

Rather sad to see people celebrating a draw, but I suppose that is as good as it gets, is it not? ....

That's a very childish post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

How can we have a debate based on something that didn't actually happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Similarly in the 2014 All-Ireland Hurling Final, Hawkeye ruled a Tipperary point at the dying breath to be Nil when it was exactly over the bar, most umpires would have given it but these umpires chickened out and let Hawkeye decide.

I was sitting directly in line with that free. It was at least a foot wide of the post. Hawkeye made the correct call in that case as did whoever asked for it to be used, though I'm not sure if that was an umpire or not. Biggest problem for umpires I think is that they can't get back far enough to see correctly if the ball is in or out.

I was sitting directly in line with that free. It was at least a foot wide of the post. Hawkeye made the correct call in that case as did whoever asked for it to be used, though I'm not sure if that was an umpire or not. Biggest problem for umpires I think is that they can't get back far enough to see correctly if the ball is in or out.

They did not chicken out. They used the tools at their disposal. The umpire wasnt sure as the ball was very high from that free making it difficult to tell. You also had a heap of Tipp fans cheering behind the goal. The umpire went to Hawkeye which was absolutely the correct thing to do in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Cool the jets there, I am totally in agreement with you. Said the same thing in my second paragraph. The first paragraph I copied from somebody else's post. I was trying to reply to that but it didn't work right for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Hawkeye was used twice in the minor match.

In the first half the umpires called for Hawkeye when David Clifford kicked into the Canal goals and it was proved to be well wide (of the near post).

In the second half, I cant recall which Kerry player it was, but it was a shot for a point into the Hill goals. Umpires waved a point, it was marked up on the scoreboard and the Galway keeper kicked the ball out. Next thing is the ref calls to halt the play and goes to Hawkeye (he obviously got the signal from them). Of course it was going to be wide then when the Hawkeye decision came up on the board. Something similar happened in the Waterford-Kilkenny drawn game.

I havnt matched back the game but I cant remember it being used in the senior game. Must have been those watery pints of Carlsberg??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

elefant wrote:

He's right though read the OP again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It also cost the Limerick Minor Hurlers an All-Ireland Semi-Final in 2013 by denying them a point which was inside.

It seems the GAA are happy to use technology like this but a video match official if introduced today would have reduced Dublin to 13 men for senseless acts of violence.

I thought the referee did a much better job than David Gough did in the semi-final but so much needs to be addressed.
    Congratulations, you have generated a three page discussion on something that never happened. In fairness, though, it makes more sense than some of your usual ramblings and conspiracy theories.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement