Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Lotto down everywhere?

Options
  • 04-02-2015 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Just came from Wicklow to Blackrock in Dublin. Tried doing the Lotto in 4 places along the way, It was down in all the places I tried.
    :confused:
    Is it down everywhere?

Its my turn to do the work syndicate :o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

yeah it's down here in the CC, i just got back from a shop near merrion square and it was still down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

They are cleaning the balls

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭curiosity

Was down this morning in Cork (9:15am-ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Nationwide apparently. Englands having similar issues as their Lotto is owned by the same crowd as ours so likely have similar terminals/network solutions that are clearly not up to the task.

Between this the lack of ticket Checkers and the poor reception of their new gameshow its all been a bit of a shambles really .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just as it's a huge jackpot tonight too!!

IT guys gonna get a baitin' :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Forget the lotto, put your syndicate money on black 11 here and you could become the office hero

http://games.paddypower.com/roulette-games/new-rouletteV3

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Nationwide apparently. Englands having similar issues as their Lotto is owned by the same crowd as ours so likely have similar terminals/network solutions that are clearly not up to the task.

Between this the lack of ticket Checkers and the poor reception of their new gameshow its all been a bit of a shambles really .

As far as I know that takeover has not happened yet so it's nothing to do with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Can you play it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Lotto people inconvenienced by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Think of it OP, that's €20 or so saved for the week that'd you have lost anyways!

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    As far as I know that takeover has not happened yet so it's nothing to do with the UK.

It has happened...
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/Mobile/About+An+Post/Media+Centre/Press+Releases/news-article?page=Premier%20Lotteries%20Ireland&year=2014

there's been a few changes since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'll be very suspicious if an IT security expert wins the Lotto tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Apparently there is a communication problem at the head office. The machines in the shop cannot connect to the lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Apparently there is a communication problem at the head office. The machines in the shop cannot connect to the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Maybe they should turn it off and on again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

if they dont get it fixed before, 7.30, there will be murder especially if someone regular numbers come up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Got my ticket in Easons in Dun Laoghaire at lunchtime. Lady said is system was slow. Keep trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Whatever they did with the new takeover, they made a (pardon the pun) balls of it.

Can't even remember the last time I was able to check my ticket on the self scanners yokes.

It's down everywhere I tried between Newlands cross, Naas and Newbridge btw.

Surely they'll have to cancel tonights draw if 'they can't get it up' in time...

*snarf!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Thought it had already gone through long ago? They changed all their terms and conditions and the government received half the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

Done it myself online around lunchtime no problem as I couldn't do it in Arklow anywhere this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Dummesteuer.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Online is fine anyway, sucks for the luddites.

http://www.thejournal.ie/lottery-machines-not-working-1919876-Feb2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

It has and it in all likelihood does. The new crowd that own us and Camalot went with 3g under the auspices of it being faster but really it was probably just to save forking over a fortune in line rental to eircom, I'd imagine they did similar over in the UK

Did you not notice the lotto slips had changed and tickets were on a different colour roll ?

It has and it in all likelihood does. The new crowd that own us and Camalot went with 3g under the auspices of it being faster but really it was probably just to save forking over a fortune in line rental to eircom, I'd imagine they did similar over in the UK

Did you not notice the lotto slips had changed and tickets were on a different colour roll ?

why use broadband which most stores have anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Whatever they did with the new takeover, they made a (pardon the pun) balls of it.

Can't even remember the last time I was able to check my ticket on the self scanners yokes.

It's down everywhere I tried between Newlands cross, Naas and Newbridge btw.

The self scanners aren't broken, the barcode scanners and firmware in them aren't set up to check the new Q-Code type of barcode on the new tickets. They can only check the old yellow slips with the old barcodes. They left those machines in the shops to check the old tickets till the old tickets expire after 90 days. That'll happen end of February. I was under the impression it was going to be all new customer checker machines but apparently its just a firmware update needed to the existing checkers. Why they are waiting the full 90 days to roll out the new firmware I don't know.

The thing is, is that most of the old yellow tickets were checked within the first week or two after the changeover on Nov 30th. You get the odd person checking an old ticket they found in a drawer or behind a cushion on the coach but the old tickets are already pretty much gone now and the few that do still come in can be checked on the old main retailer lotto machines anyway. Leaving the customer checkers on the old firmware for old tickets connected to the old machines is a pain because it seems 90% can't read the fcuking sign on the machine that says, "Doesn't check new tickets only old tickets" and they stand there like fcuking gob****es repeatedly scanning the ticket before moaning that the machine isn't working all the while I am trying to catch their attention to tell them to give me their fcuking ticket to check for them.

In other words, it would have been a lot less of an inconvenience for all concerned if the lotto had switched over the checkers to the new tickets after a week or two from the changeover and for me to have to check the odd rare old yellow ticket for them on the main machine. Instead with the machines still in the shop but only checking old tickets the staff have to literally shout at people to get their attention 100's of times a day to tell them they are wasting their time and to hand over the new ticket to be checked on the new retailer main machine. People obviously can't read.

Solved this in our shop by removing the checker machine and putting it in storage till the Lotto come out and upgrade it for the new tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Surely they'll have to cancel tonights draw if 'they can't get it up' in time...

*snarf!*

And I pressume they'll have the lotto machines working aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

irishgeo wrote: »
    why use broadband which most stores have anyway

Not a speed issue per se, just that Vodafone must have given the PLI new lotto crowd a better deal for 3G than Eircom were giving the old lotto on Line Rental and DSL for the old system.

When I queried our installer about repositioning our Lotto DSL modem/router when he came to setup the new machine, he proudly explained it wasn't needed anymore because they were going wireless with 3G. Straight away I groaned and told him I envisaged huge problems ahead if that were the case. Turns out I was right.

That said, this particular outage unlike the previous outages which were more limited and spotty seems not to be 3G related but a problem with the main servers and/or their network nodes and interconnects to the 3G network.

Calibos wrote: »
    Not a speed issue per se, just that Vodafone must have given the PLI new lotto crowd a better deal for 3G than Eircom were giving the old lotto on Line Rental and DSL for the old system.

When I queried our installer about repositioning our Lotto DSL modem/router when he came to setup the new machine, he proudly explained it wasn't needed anymore because they were going wireless with 3G. Straight away I groaned and told him I envisaged huge problems ahead if that were the case. Turns out I was right.

That said, this particular outage unlike the previous outages which were more limited and spotty seems not to be 3G related but a problem with the main servers and/or their network nodes and interconnects to the 3G network.
    it is a coincidence the jackpot is big tonight?

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    it is a coincidence the jackpot is big tonight?

Surely they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by letting this happen?
    The bigger the jackpot, the more people want to play = more revenue for them.
    If they've already assured the Jackpot total, they need the revenue to pay out if required!

Advertisement