Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Presents under the Christmas tree

• 17-12-2006 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

Why are people so obsessed with having presents under the tree ?

I've already got my Christmas presents, money, clothes, etc, but my mother keeps saying to me that "their isn't anything under the christmas tree for you". I just say so what, i already have what i want but she keeps going on about it.

Anybody else encounter anything like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

This seems to be a pointless rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Tradition.

I'd rather the anticipation (i'm 20 by the way) and then getting and giving gifts. The waiting, for me, is as much a part of Christmas as the tree itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Pazaz 21 wrote:
    I've already got my Christmas presents, money, clothes, etc

WHAT? Santa came early to you.......how did you manage that?? :p

Ah no, I'd sooner wait, I'm 23 and like the idea of having to wait until Christmas day, guess its the kid in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

fade2black wrote:
    This seems to be a pointless rant.

Not so, i'm just trying to find out if this is a common thing or if my mother is just a raving lunatic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

that seemed like a pointless reply.

in all my years living alone, i've never had a christmas tree, let alone any presents to put beneath one. some people just like the sentimental aspect of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Seriously...is it just me or is there really no issue here...you seem a bit spoilt to be honest. You've already got your presents, your clothes, your money and you think your mother is a lunatic cause she'd like you to have a present under the tree??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Ya, i guess she is just trying to be traditonal and sentimental.

I feel bad now:(

Thanks for the replies (Well most of them anyway, you know who you are)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I like the whole famliy aspect of it. Its a family occasion which nowadays is becoming rarer and rarer.

The tradition in my ranch is that the whole family opens the presents together after brekkie while stupood xmas jingles are playing and granny is stinkin.

Then again i hate when people know what pressies they are getting in advance or get their pressies before christmas day. If tradition be followed, its not like the 3 wise men said "sod goin to nazareth, lets just give Jo and Mary the kid's pressie now and they can change it if they want"!!

However im off on hols for xmas this year so sod the tradition in 06!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I like having them under the tree and then trying to guess what they are. The leadup to Christmas is just as good IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's tradition....as already said the anticipation is part of the 'buzz'.
    That said though...I hate when I'm asked what I want.
    Getting a 'surprise' was always the best way about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the waiting is probably the best part. Even if you know what you're getting, it's always a good feeling to get a present bright and breezy on Christmas morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

bluto63 wrote:
    I like having them under the tree and then trying to guess what they are. The leadup to Christmas is just as good IMO

Aye, same as here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Im not too much into the whole presents under the tree either i mean if someone asks me what i want ill just say a computer part they give me cash i order if komplett or elara then connect it the day it arrives... or go to the pub tonite with the money
    the whole presents the tree thing is a it to much "old values family fun" for my taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Whenever I celebrate Christmas at home it always nice to see the presents under the tree.

biko wrote:
    Whenever I celebrate Christmas at home it always nice to see the presents under the tree.
    when do you usually celebrate it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I love having presents under the tree. Its always great to look at em and get all excited. Though my current Christmas tree's lower branches are very low so all the pressies are to the side of it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

julep wrote:

in all my years living alone, i've never had a christmas tree, let alone any presents to put beneath one. some people just like the sentimental aspect of it.

No Tree ?? :(

i really don't see the point.
    i have no need to decorate my house for one month a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

julep wrote:

Not find it lifts spirits and just is nice.... suppose dont really have a valid reason for it, just always thought it was nice. Ill be in my own place next year, and defo will still be getting a tree.

I'm not really full of festive cheer. I'm more of a scrooge type person. the scrooge before he turned pussy after seeing the three ghosts..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

julep wrote:

I have no need to decorate my house.....ever.
    Or wear underwear.
    Or wash myself really.

My point is, just because you don't see "a need" doesn't mean it's not a good thing.

I would hate to live with someone who didn't care about christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

julep wrote:

aw that's sad :(

I know you'll say you don't think so, but to me it's a lil depressing. Christmas is the nicest time of the year for me. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

faceman wrote:
    Then again i hate when people know what pressies they are getting in advance or get their pressies before christmas day. If tradition be followed, its not like the 3 wise men said "sod goin to nazareth, lets just give Jo and Mary the kid's pressie now and they can change it if they want"!!
    *Bethlehem......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Sleipnir wrote:
    Or wear underwear.
    Or wash myself really.

My point is, just because you don't see "a need" doesn't mean it's not a good thing.

Jesus, that sounds like an attack on him, lighten up!

I hate overzealous Christmas celebrators. Christmas is the one time in the year where people don't accept it if you don't conform to doing things a certain way.

Sleipnir wrote:
    Or wear underwear.
    Or wash myself really.

the thing is, i do see a need to wash myself and change my underwear. that's a personal hygiene thing and has nothing to do with christmas. unless you're the type of person who only washes themself and changes underwear at christmas. if so, then i would question your sanity.
    christmas and personal hygiene have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Hmmm... my Dad argues every year that if we put the presents under the tree it's tempting burglars to come in and steal them. Hasn't heppened once in about twenty years but he'll still say it. All part of the tradition of Christmas and quite frankly if there wasn't something under the tree for me I'd feel really left out on Christmas morning, that and my Mum would probably be giving me one of hers and telling me to open it. Some traditions just work because they're a simple pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

julep wrote:
    when do you usually celebrate it?
    I am away travelling for the holidays every second year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Always under the tree,good fun.
    Maybe not this year, we may not put up a tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

As a kid it was great to get up early on the 25th and find your presents under the tree.As we grew older, you would either wake up to find a slight weight of a present on the bed, or in the way towards the door for you to trip over. At the moment the only things that really get put under the tree is the selection boxes, certain clothes etc.

I must say I do miss the whole feeling like a child experience at Christmas. It was a great feeling. Now I like to see it in the younger kids on how they get really excited.
    I just really look forward to Christmas now as a good time with the family and a few friends and for a decent rest.

• Advertisement

biko wrote:
    I am away travelling for the holidays every second year.
    I'm not picking on you or anything, but what do you mean by "The Holidays"?

nah. i'm just being a prick. this is an Irish board. we call it christmas and you insult me by not calling it christmas and calling it "the holidays".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's xmas.

It's xmas.
    ahh, piss off you nazi transgender wannabe Galwayman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

julep wrote:
    I moved out of home last year. Spent my first christmas in my own place. Was sharing with my brother. Both of us would work long hours and nearly 7 days a week. We never put up any decorations.
    Christmas eve was like a normal night. Went to my parents house the next morning and had a traditional christmas day. Then back home to get ready for work the next day :(

This christmas I have moved to New Zealand. A month ago I moved in to a new apartment. Sharing with a London girl I never see. Not putting up any decorations. Doubt if she is. Would have got her a card or something if I knew the girl, but I don't.
    Don't know what she is doing for christmas, but she is staying in the country.
    Im flying to Perth in a few days and back after the New Year so I'm not too worried what she does.

julep wrote:
    ahh, piss off you nazi transgender wannabe Galwayman.
    Personal abuse and no christmas spirt, you should get banned :D

Rabies wrote:
    I moved out of home last year. Spent my first christmas in my own place. Was sharing with my brother. Both of us would work long hours and nearly 7 days a week. We never put up any decorations.
    Christmas eve was like a normal night. Went to my parents house the next morning and had a traditional christmas day. Then back home to get ready for work the next day :(

This christmas I have moved to New Zealand. A month ago I moved in to a new apartment. Sharing with a London girl I never see. Not putting up any decorations. Doubt if she is. Would have got her a card or something if I knew the girl, but I don't.
    Don't know what she is doing for christmas, but she is staying in the country.
    Im flying to Perth in a few days and back after the New Year so I'm not too worried what she does.
    in all fairness, I do spend christmas eve with all my friends in my local. they all come bak from various parts of the country and the world at large to spend christmas at home and it is good to see them all.
    on the other hand, bah humbug.

That is one thing I will miss this year. First time I won't get to catch up with with old friends on chistmas eve in our local.
    But I do get to spend christmas in the sun and on the beach with friends, so I can't complain too much :D

• Advertisement

I am terribly offended by Julep's post and await his demodding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

How long have you got to wait? It might be a while. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

julep wrote:
    I'm not really full of festive cheer. I'm more of a scrooge type person. the scrooge before he turned pussy after seeing the three ghosts..
    :p

I am terribly offended by Julep's post and await his demodding.
    i sincerely apologise and promise not to do it again.

today

• Advertisement

i was browsing adverts.ie earlier and saw someone selling a sense of humour. thought you might be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Bad taste julep. Regular posters have been banned for less. julep banned for being a grumpy bastard. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

julep wrote:
    christmas and personal hygiene have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

CHRIST!!!! REALLY!??? I thought they went hand-in-hand. Honestly!
    julep wrote:
    the thing is, i do see a need to wash myself and change my underwear. that's a personal hygiene thing and has nothing to do with christmas. unless you're the type of person who only washes themself and changes underwear at christmas. if so, then i would question your sanity.

While you were taking that literally, the point was skilfully sneaking away....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

julep wrote:

julep wrote:

Bah Humbug!

I actually got great kudos for my portrayal of scrooge once.
    then i decided not to ever act again because i don't like kudos.

Portrayal?
    Was scrooge not based on you? ;)

probably. it wasn't much of a stretch playing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Sleipnir wrote:

I honestly dont have any tree or nothing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I must admit I miss the real excitement of Christmas, even though we still continue the tradition of presents under the tree and not opening them until christmas morning.

Nowadays, my mam will ask me what I actually want for christmas. No such thing as a real surprise anymore. However I must say, I do appreciate the time of year more these days than ever before.

Advertisement