Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭goblin59

got my double take mirrors this morning, and put them onto the F650.

took a picture with the original on the right for comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

blade1 wrote: »
    Two weeks have nearly passed since I ordered fork oil.
    Just as well there was no panic.
    It turned up today.
    They didn't have the one I ordered so sent this instead.
    700ml for each fork.

IMG-20200911-175959.jpg

Forks back on and I may as well service the brakes next.
    A clean, pads and new fluid will be done but not today.

IMG-20200911-181107.jpg
    Would love an Abba Stand but with 4 different bikes I don't know how it'd work. Can you attach wheels to the Abba and move it around with a bike on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fabio wrote: »
    Would love an Abba Stand but with 4 different bikes I don't know how it'd work. Can you attach wheels to the Abba and move it around with a bike on it?

You have several different options.

You buy the adaptors to suit each of your bikes.
    Some adaptors work with different bikes.

A must I think is the swingarm removal adaptors.
    Remove one of the foot hanger bolt on each side and fit the swingarm adaptors.
    There is a set available that contains all the adaptors but it's not cheap.

There is also a dolly available that bolts on.

https://youtu.be/uvGOg1gKfrU

I think this is my first time using galfer pads :cool:

IMG-20200917-161456.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Organic? Fancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Organic? Fancy

Yeah, grown without any dodgy fertiliser. I'm going to get an Endless Brakes bush for the garden myself

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Last time I tried organic pads on a cbr1000f I couldn't stand the feel of them, threw them in the bin after two weeks and went back to ebc sintered. I think it's just what you're used to. Can't remember what brand the organic pads were but they reminded me of drum brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

New stancions bushs and seals + elbow grease.

Turned this
    Fork-before.jpg

into this.
    Fork-after.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Today I was mostly, amongst other things:

Tried to help someone with a puncture (yes, I'm the cute one lying down...). Partially successful - must work on that.

527005.png

Then the SO's front calipers needed deseizing (unseizing ??)

527006.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

galwaytt wrote: »
    Then the SO's front calipers needed deseizing (unseizing??)

I'll bet they did.

Untitled-1.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'll bet they did.

Untitled-1.png

Says your man that had to get me to unseize his rear

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Says your man that had to get me to unseize his rear

Yeow! :pac:

Yeow! :pac:

TMI,TMI !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

Removed the passenger foot pegs, fitted tail tidy and put on the seat cowl. Looking much sleeker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Waillee123 wrote: »
    Removed the passenger foot pegs, fitted tail tidy and put on the seat cowl. Looking much sleeker :)

How you going to pick up the ladies now though..

listermint wrote: »

Oops assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

:D
    listermint wrote: »

:D:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Today I was mostly, amongst other things:

Tried to help someone with a puncture (yes, I'm the cute one lying down...). Partially successful - must work on that.

527005.png

Then the SO's front calipers needed deseizing (unseizing ??)

527006.png
    Handy windback tool. I use a g clamp on an old pad but that's far better. Is it for a car?
    What were ye spraying into the tyre and was the tyre bald?

H_Lime wrote: »
    Handy windback tool. I use a g clamp on an old pad but that's far better. Is it for a car?
    What were ye spraying into the tyre and was the tyre bald?

Yeah, its a lovely bit of kit, beautifully made, but its a bike one. Its part of a genuine BMW toolkit for working on the servo assisted brakes from the early Noughties. The kit included 2 of those, special funnels for connecting to the reservoir under the tank, and special spacers to fit in the calipers in lieu of pads & discs which you used to bleed the brakes against.

As for the tyre, just a foam type stuff from LIDL donated by a passing motorist who went off home in his car to get it and came back and gave it f.o.c. The tyre was due a change really, and it picked up a kind of long cut as distinct from a hole, so it was more in hope than expectation. We used a plug as well which didn't quite fill the hole due to its shape.

Still, it got the bike from Oranmore to Knock, so it wasn't completely fruitless. Good to know if you're stuck.

Ode To The Motorist

Yeah, its a lovely bit of kit, beautifully made, but its a bike one. Its part of a genuine BMW toolkit for working on the servo assisted brakes from the early Noughties. The kit included 2 of those, special funnels for connecting to the reservoir under the tank, and special spacers to fit in the calipers in lieu of pads & discs which you used to bleed the brakes against.

As for the tyre, just a foam type stuff from LIDL donated by a passing motorist who went off home in his car to get it and came back and gave it f.o.c. The tyre was due a change really, and it picked up a kind of long cut as distinct from a hole, so it was more in hope than expectation. We used a plug as well which didn't quite fill the hole due to its shape.

Still, it got the bike from Oranmore to Knock, so it wasn't completely fruitless. Good to know if you're stuck.

Jesus that's some toolkit:eek: Nice to see a manufacturer add sensible quality touches like that. What bike was it from?! The only thing I've ever been impressed with like that was a ktm ring spanner come bottle opener which to the lad who bought my 990 adv dismay was absent:pac:
    Fair play on getting them rolling again. A puncture is the simplest of things which can catch us out.

I try to carry a bottle of slime with me, bailed me out once before. On the subject of punctures on the dr I fitted an odyssey battery (still cranking well 2 yrs on despite neglect) which being half the size of oem allowed me make a false bottom in the battery box for one of those generic aa compressors.
    https://ibb.co/f9Wb1kJ
    https://ibb.co/7V1WhHp
    https://ibb.co/HFt8HMp
    https://ibb.co/V3D3qZq
    Thinking of replacing it with a spare tube and getting one of those fancy telescoping hand pumps which some of the adv rider types use. Not used it but nice to know its there occupying dead space.

• Advertisement

Jesus that's some toolkit:eek: Nice to see a manufacturer add sensible quality touches like that. What bike was it from?! The only thing I've ever been impressed with like that was a ktm ring spanner come bottle opener which to the lad who bought my 990 adv dismay was absent:pac:
    Fair play on getting them rolling again. A puncture is the simplest of things which can catch us out.

I try to carry a bottle of slime with me, bailed me out once before. On the subject of punctures on the dr I fitted an odyssey battery (still cranking well 2 yrs on despite neglect) which being half the size of oem allowed me make a false bottom in the battery box for one of those generic aa compressors.
    https://ibb.co/f9Wb1kJ
    https://ibb.co/7V1WhHp
    https://ibb.co/HFt8HMp
    https://ibb.co/V3D3qZq
    Thinking of replacing it with a spare tube and getting one of those fancy telescoping hand pumps which some of the adv rider types use. Not used it but nice to know its there occupying dead space.

The bike i bought it for was R1150RT, but its shared with others of same vintage. Kit wasn't cheap, but it makes doing the job much easier with the right tools. Its not carried on the bike obviously, its the main dealer workshop kit.

Portable compressor is a good idea: one of the other lads had one in his Pan and it was invaluable.

Big +1 on Odyssey btw - first used them 25 yrs ago now, was always a thing i fitted to nearly every BeeEmm i had. Good battery.

Ode To The Motorist

Nearly four months after ordering it, the genuine Yamaha comfort seat for the MT10 arrived yesterday. Aside from being FAR more comfortable than the stock seat it fits the bike properly. The stock seat has a bit too much free play and moves around a bit, which has rubbed some of the paint off under it on the subframe.

lQ0b88b.jpg?4

wucy8zR.jpg?1

Fired the pair reed valve in the bin. And checked for clearance Clarence.

Would just blocking it off have done or did you want to get rid of the clutter?

blade1 wrote: »
    Would just blocking it off have done or did you want to get rid of the clutter?

Yeah to just clean clean up. Makes the valve cover more accessible and it does nothing for the bike and the mild steel pipes that bolt to the head are prone to rust and look ugly. Have a set of polished plates in the post, could easily make up something myself but ebay is too easy.

Yeah to just clean clean up. Makes the valve cover more accessible and it does nothing for the bike and the mild steel pipes that bolt to the head are prone to rust and look ugly. Have a set of polished plates in the post, could easily make up something myself but ebay is too easy.

This is off the bandit Paddy? Any effect on the running at all?

This is off the bandit Paddy? Any effect on the running at all?

No its just to burn off any fuel that makes it to the exhaust by adding a spurt of air. Only thing you might notice is less popping on the overrun but no difference in power.

No its just to burn off any fuel that makes it to the exhaust by adding a spurt of air. Only thing you might notice is less popping on the overrun but no difference in power.

Thats whats I wondering bout, noticed the same on my busa/gsxr when I did this.
    You still advertising her or is it staying put? Any works/mods planned over winter?
    All of mine are due filters n fluids this winter, tc&s on the etv (rear disc would be nice) and rebuilt mc's would be an idea too.

• Advertisement

Advanced the ignition timing a couple of degrees. The old fashioned way.

Advertisement