Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster not refunding service fees

Options
13»

Comments

Zardoz wrote: »
    No they aren't.
    They have to refund the service charges on tickets they sold before they changed their terms last month .

You're right. So they'll make a loss on refunding some tickets and a profit on refunding others. But anyone who has a mindset of seeing Ticketmaster as a "shady business" just because they don't like that their service fees exists in the first place is going to see them as taking the greedier option whichever of those two options they pick.
    Zardoz wrote: »
    Ticketmaster are technically only the service agent ,they sell the tickets on behalf of the promoter.
    The face value fee collected then goes to the promoter so its effectively the promoter who have the bulk of the money now.

However the dominant promoter in Ireland happens to be MCD which is owned by Livenation who also own Ticketmaster.
    So Ticketmaster are both the promoter ,service agent and in some cases venue owner.
    They have their finger in alot of pies .

Ideally they do not want to refund customers as that means extra work for staff and it also means unsold tickets that will have to be resold in an uncertain climate .
    Those tickets may not be rebought and Livenation will lose out as well as other promoters.

Don't you mean that Livenation are the promoter, service agent and in some cases venue owner?

Anyway, I think the idea that they are not releasing refunds immediately because their parent company sat them down and told them not to is a bit far-fetched. It's much more likely that they believe many people would actually want to attend the gigs on the rescheduled dates and would be annoyed if their tickets were cancelled without notice (myself included, I have great seats for a gig! :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

It's much more likely that they believe many people would actually want to attend the gigs on the rescheduled dates and would be annoyed if their tickets were cancelled without notice (myself included, I have great seats for a gig! :D).

Why not give the people that option.... why not send batch emails out to those who purchased tickets and see who wants money back, who wants to hold on?

To be fair, this gig isn’t sold out and was not sold out prior to pandemic, so the likelihood is very slim that someone would be upset/annoyed if they were refunded and told you can purchase again if/when it’s rescheduled.

Ticketmaster could easily facilitate those who want their money, but are choosing to ignore them, the problem with that tactic is that those disgruntled customers will eventually grow to a point where Ticketmaster will need to address the situation publicly.

Why not give the people that option.... why not send batch emails out to those who purchased tickets and see who wants money back, who wants to hold on?

Again, as I stated twice already, they are a profit-making business and they know that many people who who will ask for refunds would have instead kept their tickets if they had known when the rescheduled date was.
    To be fair, this gig isn’t sold out and was not sold out prior to pandemic, so the likelihood is very slim that someone would be upset/annoyed if they were refunded and told you can purchase again if/when it’s rescheduled.

Try telling that to the people who were refreshing the page like crazy to get front-row seats. :pac:
    Ticketmaster could easily facilitate those who want their money, but are choosing to ignore them, the problem with that tactic is that those disgruntled customers will eventually grow to a point where Ticketmaster will need to address the situation publicly.

It's purely a combination of being short-staffed and having to deal with an unheard of amount of rescheduling/ refunding all at once. They are facilitating everyone just fine, you're going to get your refund and you know you will. It's not like they're just sitting at their desks and twiddling their thumbs in the hopes that you forget you bought your ticket and don't ask for a refund.

And they won't need to address anything publicly, they are taking the same approach as the majority of other ticket selling agencies.

I booked a gig in Manchester and only received a credit refund for the cancelled gig, and that credit can only be used on gigs in the UK as the promoter doesn't do gigs in Ireland. So I now have to hope and pray that I can find a different gig that I'm somewhat interested in before the credit expires in one year and that also has flights nearly as cheap as my flights for my original gig. So, it could be worse. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Be thankful for what we have!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-8370485/Tickets-seller-Eventim-accused-penalising-customers.html

Seemingly the world's 2nd biggest ticket selling site (I've never heard of them!), taking 12-14% of ticket price before refunding the money. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Yep, Ticketmaster left me a few £ short on my refund for a rescheduled gig. Not good enough really.

• Advertisement

Yep, Ticketmaster left me a few £ short on my refund for a rescheduled gig. Not good enough really.

Which gig?
    It's only kicked in since the **** hit the fan and they changed the refund process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Which gig?
    It's only kicked in since the **** hit the fan and they changed the refund process.

The Weeknd in London. I called them up on it and they're refunding the handling fee "as a one time gesture of goodwill". How nice of them.

The Weeknd in London. I called them up on it and they're refunding the handling fee "as a one time gesture of goodwill". How nice of them.

It sure is or maybe it was because it said it in their t&c's before they changed them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads after all my moaning we got our money back today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

I requested a refund for GNR about three weeks ago and it was refunded in full, including booking fee yesterday so no complaints here.

I may well decide to go to the new date but will make that decision next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Ticketmaster are an absolute cartel and are allowed to operate as they see fit. They don't have any real competitors (in the Irish market anyway) which means they can charge whatever they like and get away with things like sneakily changing their T&Cs, not providing clear steps for refunds and poor customer service.

The competition authority should force them to provide clear refund information on their website, their app and when they are informing customers via e-mail of rescheduled events.

After spending ages on their website and their app to try to find out how to request a refund, I rang their Irish customer service number. Waited about 25 mins and when I eventually got through the girl I spoke to said she couldn't issue a refund over the phone that I had to go through the website.

She told me to click on the Covid information link and fill out a contact request form. (Nothing at all anywhere actually saying 'click here to request a refund') She then said you will get 2 generic e-mails back and you need to specifically reply to the second one requesting a refund, which will only then put you in a queue for a refund. Eventually someone will asses your case and confirm back if they will refund you, and a refund can take up to 60 days.

By the end of all that I felt that I nearly had to promise them my first born child! I eventually did get a reply saying 'Good news, we will give you a refund'. (I was thinking to myself; I should bloody expect as much buddy!)

Anyway, a simple solution would be for ticket master to stick a link to a refund form on the e-mails that they send out informing fans of a change of date or venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Agreed. TM are the absolute pits.

When the Who were rescheduled for 5/3/21, there was no offer of a refund, just notice of the - rather optimistic - rescheduling.

A few weeks later, I received an email letting me know that the Grant Lee Philips show I had tickets for in October had been rescheduled for the same night.

Of the two, I'd far rather see GLP (smaller act, more intimate venue). When I asked TM to cancel my Who ticket about six weeks ago, they sent back some number and then nothing.

When I re-issued the request the same time last week, the same thing happened.

EDIT: In fairness to Ticketmaster, they did refund me the cost of the Who ticket but unfortunately do not seem to have emailed me to let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

hkjohn wrote: »
    Agreed. TM are the absolute pits.

When the Who were rescheduled for 5/3/21, there was no offer of a refund, just notice of the - rather optimistic - rescheduling.

A few weeks later, I received an email letting me know that the Grant Lee Philips show I had tickets for in October had been rescheduled for the same night.

Of the two, I'd far rather see GLP (smaller act, more intimate venue). When I asked TM to cancel my Who ticket about six weeks ago, they sent back some number and then nothing.

When I re-issued the request the same time last week, the same thing happened.

Absolute disgrace

The default mail they send in reply to a refund request is just some generic text and it states that the case is now closed. You need to reply to this requesting the refund again to reopen the case. Once you do this the refund will be approved and you will get the cash back in 3 or 4 days.

Just make sure you get the full refund including the service fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Cheers, guys

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

r0chf0rt wrote: »
    The default mail they send in reply to a refund request is just some generic text and it states that the case is now closed. You need to reply to this requesting the refund again to reopen the case. Once you do this the refund will be approved and you will get the cash back in 3 or 4 days.

Yeah they send an automatic reply mail to acknowledge your request, but it assumes that you require no assistance (sly on their part)
    So just reply to that mail to say you still need help.

If you don't reply the ticket is automatically closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bayslarry

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Just make sure you get the full refund including the service fee.
    Well, my friend I having been many time at Ticket Master and I had many time booked ticket for myself and my loved ones and also cancel it but they never provided me service. So, you might be also. If you did like to have full refund follow Ticketmaster Return Policy in order to fulfill their policy for return. For claiming the ticket insurance, call on (800) 334-7525.

Advertisement