Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Conspiracy to commit murder" now a life sentence - by way of Helen Mac

Options
  • 17-09-2020 7:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/1306490599231631362

Seems first major law amendment she's brought in.

LE8GcbR.jpg?1

Would you have expected such a hardline approach from such a sweet face?

Not that I have issue with that only, "conspiracy" could potentially be misconstrued.

I mean by some standards I conspire to murder my neighbour every Fri/Sat night when I wake up at 4 am to the sounds of thumping music and this redneck yahoo'ing through the walls.

Whilst pathological reoffenders walk the streets, not a care in the world and entire criminal subcultures just keep on keeping on.

Are her priorities in the right place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,242 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The wedding photo is definitely relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

She is quiet impressive, has handled herself very well over the last few years...one to watch I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You’re a very strange individual. You might need help tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

She should put some effort into minimum tarrifs for life before they killers can be considered for release

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So what like murder 15 years... could do with reviewing what life imprisonment actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

She will probably be Taoiseach at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm not FG's biggest fan but she seems like a fairly competent individual to me. It was almost a relief to see her minding Varadkar when he was swanning around Brussels like he was the lead singer of a band.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

should make it 8 years hard labour for failure to use indicators on roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

OPs post with her wedding photo has States Evidence in a future stalker case written all over it.

And by the way a gang leader getting some 17 year old to pull the trigger for him so he can avoid life is a loophole that well deserved being closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

OP has weird obsession with female TD’s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

shanec1928 wrote: »
    So what like murder 15 years... could do with reviewing what life imprisonment actually is.

Life sentence not life imprisonment.

Title is incorrect. The maximum sentence is life.

The percentage of people to actually be sentenced to (much less actually serve) life will be minuscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Why the wedding picture of the Minister? Would you do the same if the Minister was a man?

The gangland bosses don’t pull the trigger themselves. What’s the harm with them doing longer prison sentences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Helen 'the hoover' McEntee...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

eviltwin wrote: »
    OP has weird obsession with female TD’s

Have you read his other threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The inclusion of the wedding picture is fcuking cringing.
    If a female politician came out with a statement that they feel objectified or treated unfairly or viewed differently to their male counterparts, these Boards would be full of statements about feminist snowflake SJW's and then we see something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Nothing wrong with the wedding pic. Without those kind of pics it's easy to think politicians are nothing but lizard people being controlled by a hive mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

mohawk wrote: »
    Why the wedding picture of the Minister? Would you do the same if the Minister was a man?

The gangland bosses don’t pull the trigger themselves. What’s the harm with them doing longer prison sentences.

In my mind "conspiracy" is, planning to commit murder.

If the above situation where a cock-a-roach gets a child to commit murder, is that "conspiracy"?
    As in, the murder has been done.

More like, 2nd hand murder.

Is hiring an assassin "conspiracy"?

Nuh - that's murder straight up.

This is not even a discussion - in my mind "conspiracy" could vary and I'm envisioning a police state gone crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“Female politician better attack her over her wedding photos”

Also the title is misleading isn’t it? If she’s a TD introducing a bill to first be debated on and passed by the Oireachtas, it’s not really a case of “now” being the law. It’s a TDs proposed law only.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

In my mind "conspiracy" is, planning to commit murder.

If the above situation where a cock-a-roach gets a child to commit murder, is that "conspiracy"?
    As in, the murder has been done.

More like, 2nd hand murder.

Is hiring an assassin "conspiracy"?

Nuh - that's murder straight up.

This is not even a discussion - in my mind "conspiracy" could vary and I'm envisioning a police state gone crazy.

The very first thing that occurred to me was that this is aimed at a very specific group of people currently living in the Middle East who recently suffered a huge hack by European law enforcement. The nature of the evidence and transnational logistics involved might make this change in sentencing the optimum way to get a 'throw away the key' result (the only just outcome, instead of some 10 years, out in 8 fudge.)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

should make it 8 years hard labour for failure to use indicators on roundabouts.

Sounds like sexism to me, any penalty for bad driving disproportionately impacts women.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sounds like sexism to me, any penalty for bad driving disproportionately impacts women.

Indeed but to be fair do you expect the little dears to be able to operate those tricky indicators and fix their mascara at the same time.
    As the great P Flynn would say " you should try it sometime"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Fair play to her, there’s thugs in this country who need a special level of penalty.
    Who’d have thought it would take a “sweet faced woman” to have the b@lls to get this sorted out? and OP including her wedding photo to back up your sexist viewpoint is pathetic, quite honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not that I have issue with that only, "conspiracy" could potentially be misconstrued.

I mean by some standards I conspire to murder my neighbour every Fri/Sat night when I wake up at 4 am to the sounds of thumping music and this redneck yahoo'ing through the walls.
    Conspiracy to commit a crime needs more than one person.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5922978/judges-impose-sentences-crime-parole-act/

She outlines here the purpose of this amendment being to address organized crime.

The general message here is, "punishment for grievance caused to others".

I personally advocate addressing the cultures and thought patterns that inspire organized crime in the first place.

Hopefully that's what this will target - cause apparently we're really not passed the point of organized crime being glamorized.
    As Minister for Justice, I want to ensure that everyone has the tools to win this battle. To take on the thugs who run the gangs. To work together locally to stop them from luring our young people down a path of crime and ­violence.

Why do young people go that path?

Excitement?

Impress girls?

Trying to be Johnny-bad-ass?

To me that reflects an inherent cultural flaw additionally (@cathmartingreen)

Just sayin'......

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Dick move posting that pic.

Oh BTW, here's a little Catherine Martine TD for ya'll,

file-photo-green-party-deputy-leader-catherine-martin-is-to-run-in-the-dublin-rathdown-constituency-in-the-general-election-390x285.jpg

U mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

If you plan and try to murder someone, should you get less time for failing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement