Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young boy hospitalised after incident involving scrambler and quad bike

• 18-09-2020 11:42am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0918/1165915-scrambler-quad-dublin-incident/
    A one-year-old boy remains in a serious condition in hospital after being injured in an incident last night in Dublin involving a scrambler and a quad bike.

My first thought on reading the headline was... Oh well.

Sadly, the child wasn't riding the bike or quad, was just being held by someone on one. These things are a scourge, and should be melted down for scrap. No need for a quad or a scambler in an urban environment. It's mostly kids riding these things, and the parents seem to be completely free to buy them for kids.

Rant over I suppose, but it could as easily been a death. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's horrible, but it will keep happening as long as are absolutely f*cking useless Garda allow kids to speed around on these things. I've seen a kid with no helmet flying down Amiens st on a scrambler not too long ago! That's slap bang in the city centre for those who don't know Dublin.
    I hope the kid is ok, but the fault lays at the parents hands for allowing their kids to have these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It's horrible, but it will keep happening as long as are absolutely f*cking useless Garda allow kids to speed around on these things. I've seen a kid with no helmet flying down Amiens st on a scrambler not too long ago! That's slap bang in the city centre for those who don't know Dublin.
    I hope the kid is ok, but the fault lays at the parents hands for allowing their kids to have these things.

How would you stop them speeding down Amiens st on a scrambler ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I see it all the time around Ballyfermot. Young lads in pitch dark no lights or helmets going down the opposite side of the road.

The next generation are currently doing it on normal bikes. Cycling 3 a breast opposite side of the road at night.

Gardai drive passed them. Don't so anything.

Throw out one of those stinger things like the cops do in GTA

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Take the approach the MET in London take to Moped thieves - zero tolerance.

to the OP, the child was being held by a woman sitting on a quad which was hit by a scrambler - this may be unfortunate but what do you think that child would have been doing in 5 years? - Riding a quad or a scrambler uninsured, untaxed without a licence, without proper pse, without training.

While this may sound harsh - it may mean this child will now not go down this route.

The person holding the child should be charged with child endangerment and the teenager riding the scrambler should be given a custodial sentence.

That said, the Gardaí are absolutely useless and couldn't give a rats ass about this kind of (or any kind of) anti social behavior and our judicial system is enabling these scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

colm_mcm wrote: »

Have seen this before - the law needs to be changed but the politicians in all thier wisdom voted not to change it.

There are however by-laws that the Gardaí can enforce that will allow them to confiscate these scramblers (the Gardaí know exactly who these people are and where they live but there is no desire to deal with them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The scrambler involved in the collision had been removed from the scene before gardaí arrived.

Thought the above was quite a telling line at the bottom of the article.
    Baby badly injured, and a youngfella thrown from his scrambler.
    But getting the scrambler offside before the guards take it away for inspection was high on the priority list as well.

Throw out one of those stinger things like the cops do in GTA

Riders will end up injured & the guards will be told to end their harassment of local kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

But getting the scrambler offside before the guards take it away for inspection was high on the priority list as well.

the type of people who get these things for their kids have absolutely no morality or concern for anyone. the kid who got thrown off it will be out terrorising people on it by tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Riders will end up injured & the guards will be told to end their harassment of local kids prosecuted.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Riders will end up injured & the guards will be told to end their harassment of local kids.

A bit of "Tactical Contact" like in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah the scrambler.... The skangers version of a bicycle.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

jim salter wrote: »
    Take the approach the MET in London take to Moped thieves - zero tolerance.

to the OP, the child was being held by a woman sitting on a quad which was hit by a scrambler - this may be unfortunate but what do you think that child would have been doing in 5 years? - Riding a quad or a scrambler uninsured, untaxed without a licence, without proper pse, without training.

While this may sound harsh - it may mean this child will now not go down this route.

The person holding the child should be charged with child endangerment and the teenager riding the scrambler should be given a custodial sentence.

That said, the Gardaí are absolutely useless and couldn't give a rats ass about this kind of (or any kind of) anti social behavior and our judicial system is enabling these scumbags.

Don't let the high horse kick you on the way out. The child was blameless, and I'd prefer them to grow up and determine their own course, without thinking they deserved it for the actions of their parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not the 1st time ive heard that happen. Girl in work went to collect her kid from school in coolock 2 years ago lad flying up and down on a scrambler and taken outof it by car and the bike disappeared well befoe the gardai or ambulance showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

It would require a massive operation where gardai mark home with scramblers in the gardens (they make no attempt to hide them), then go around early morning and seize them en masse, if they can produce valid tax and insurance along with proof of purchase they can have them back, otherwise they are crushed within a week of seizure. The chances of such an operation though is zero, we're stuck with them indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Doesn't anyone just simply not care?
    These whole areas can be written off.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just realised there is was already a thread on this. I'll ask that they be merged.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Do farmers drive uninsured quads or scramblers. I think bohar are raffling one aswell. Seen John Hayes advertising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

What the actual ****?

Yeh, this country is ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

It would require a massive operation where gardai mark home with scramblers in the gardens (they make no attempt to hide them), then go around early morning and seize them en masse, if they can produce valid tax and insurance along with proof of purchase they can have them back, otherwise they are crushed within a week of seizure. The chances of such an operation though is zero, we're stuck with them indefinitely.

While that all sounds fine, if the actual parents don't give a fcuk and let their kids have these bikes then its not really the Gardai's job to be the parents. If they seize all the bikes the kids or their useless parents will just buy more.

I could image its also quite difficult for the Gardai to catch these kids when they are on the bikes, they hardly want to start a high speed chase with some kid.

Limpy wrote: »
    Do farmers drive uninsured quads or scramblers. I think bohar are raffling one aswell. Seen John Hayes advertising it.

Not sure but I'm sure they have farm insurance which may cover driving it on their own land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Baton across the face, that'll learn em to wear a helmet, or one of those stinger yokes that punctures tyres, but across the face,
    All seriousness, until both young offender and parent are held responsible and the fault doesnt only lay with the parents,obviously a lot does, some of these young scrotes wont listen to anyone, so maybe some hard labour alternated with forced education and see which they prefer?
    One thing's for sure, the throw the hands up in the air and ignore it attitude of the authorities, gardai, judiciary and poor me sob stories isnt going to fix anything, and I belive thats been amply proven so far.

The rest of us ordinary mortals can do damn all if the authorities cant or wont do damn all, we tolerate it, I'll add forced sterilisation but I imagine thats not going to be a runner, Ill go with,no or decreasing childrens allowance for little darlings after child 2 for all.

I will say one thing, as terrible as it is for the 1 yo child, AND while I dont wish them any harm, And Id prefer the rider broke their neck for their selfishness, at least it wasnt someone elses child.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

I feel desperately sorry for these kids and all like them. They have no role models in their life except the likes of drug dealers and Conor McGregor. Women are usually left to raise them on their own and if the father sticks around long enough he often is a waster.

I really don't know the answer to these problems but i do know it's a worldwide issue and not confined to Ireland.

Varik wrote: »
    A bit of "Tactical Contact" like in the UK.

Yep, gladdens the heart to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtoKz1FLVh8

The lads here would get a massive pay out so wouldn't work.

The justice system here needs a total overhaul. It's the root of a lot of our societal problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Limpy wrote: »

Scramblers aren't much use to farmers, but yes it's true many quads aren't insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Yep, gladdens the heart to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtoKz1FLVh8

The lads here would get a massive pay out so wouldn't work.

The justice system here needs a total overhaul. It's the root of a lot of our societal problems

Gardai shouldn't be using spit hoods, according to the policing authority, not much chance of them being allowed to knock lads off scramblers

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Don't let the high horse kick you on the way out. The child was blameless, and I'd prefer them to grow up and determine their own course, without thinking they deserved it for the actions of their parents.

High horse? Nope. I got a Honda Civic outside...

Anyways, of course they are going to grow up and become a contributing member of society ..... oh wait, the child was on a quad bike (albeit not through their own choice), in the evening time in a location known for this kind of activity.

do you honestly think with actions like this from a parent or guardian, this child has a high likelihood of not participating in this sort of behavior as soon as they were old enough to ride a scrambler into a lamppost?

Just to clarify for you - I was never blaming the child :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its not the gardai fault, its the parents. They bloody removed the scrambler from the scene of the accident also before gardai got there

Its not the gardai fault, its the parents. They bloody removed the scrambler from the scene of the accident also before gardai got there

The Gardaí know exactly who these scumbags are, they know where they live. There is no desire from them to do anything as the courts are designed to favour these scumbags.

the only way is the power of confiscation and the power to immediately destroy the scramblers.

Also the power to charge the parents for the child's criminal activity - let those responsible take the responsibility

Maybe you're right. The thing is, much like that poor man who's head was crushed by a scrambler in Darndale a couple of years ago, and nothing happened to the youth who did it, this incident will be forgotten about until the next accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

limitedIQ wrote: »
    While that all sounds fine, if the actual parents don't give a fcuk and let their kids have these bikes then its not really the Gardai's job to be the parents. If they seize all the bikes the kids or their useless parents will just buy more.

I could image its also quite difficult for the Gardai to catch these kids when they are on the bikes, they hardly want to start a high speed chase with some kid.

Seize them, seize them and seize them again, it's been done in cities in the UK and has had an effect. And where did I say chase them? did you even read what I wrote?

btw this is the mentality of the people we're dealing with:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

every time a TD asks the minister says the laws are sufficient and they say the gardai haven't asked for news laws but read the council JPC records and the garda say they need new laws, and round and round it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

I disagree, it is the parents fault, correct, but it's the fault of the State for allowing this to continue happening.

And then again, it is also the Gardais fault, I've tried to report crimes, got the brush off, at the very least the Garda should collect the Data, at least they/the State would know accurately what they are up against and how to resource it effectively, without that, we are all just pi$$ing against the wind.

Gather the information, then, deal with the problems that are likely known, but at least not anecdotally, it may even be a surprise, but at least those it suits to deny problems, wont be able to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1874 wrote: »
    I disagree, it is the parents fault, correct, but it's the fault of the State for allowing this to continue happening.

And then again, it is also the Gardais fault, I've tried to report crimes, got the brush off, at the very least the Garda should collect the Data, at least they/the State would know accurately what they are up against and how to resource it effectively, without that, we are all just pi$$ing against the wind.

Gather the information, then, deal with the problems that are likely known, but at least not anecdotally, it may even be a surprise, but at least those it suits to deny problems, wont be able to.

Id somewhat agree , but giving gardai the powers to lock up parents for child endangerment, cutting off dole to those who waste money on these for their kids and putting those kids in a JLO program for even riding one of these would go a long way.

If you allow your kid on a scrambler in a residential area you deserve to be named and shamed and end up on RTE news so everyone knows you've utterly failed as a mother.

Advertisement