Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will we spend the Apple money on?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

kenmc wrote: »
    The state has spent 2.5m setting up the escrow account.

What. The. Actual. Fück?

Do we get this back when we don't get the money?

How did we even end up having to pay this?

The money would be wasted here. To corrupted. Every day we see stories of this and nothing done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Chuck a few SAMs on them as well, sure why not

Probably a good idea, and cheaper than a dozen jets (and all the associated costs) to get the great bear to stop buzzing the west coast with their fancy blackjacks.

A few artificial islands would be totally tropical off the SW, would also save on importing pineapples and bananas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Kuva wrote: »
    Do we get this back when we don't get the money?

How did we even end up having to pay this?

The money would be wasted here. To corrupted. Every day we see stories of this and nothing done.

You gotta pay fees if you want someone to manage an escrow account.

It's .015% which is probably a fairly standard rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Graham wrote: »
    Oooh oooh, me me, I know this one.

The Unions would save your job and prevent the company leaving by organising a strike and strategically placing pickets ;)

No but it would get you a better redundancy offer. Or stop some redundancies that might otherwise have happened.

Interesting that some well paid people like actors join unions or guilds and the average joe thinks organising is evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No but it would get you a better redundancy offer. Or stop some redundancies that might otherwise have happened.

Interesting that some well paid people like actors join unions or guilds and the average joe thinks organising is evil.

Bizarre comparison to make.

If a company is bust its then its bust, being part of a union is not going to magic money into existence to get you a better redundancy especially if as you say they will just be leaving in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

VinLieger wrote: »
    Bizarre comparison to make.

If a company is bust its then its bust, being part of a union is not going to magic money into existence to get you a better redundancy especially if as you say they will just be leaving in the next few years.

The company may be thinking of leaving in a few years and start some redundancy talks with unions. Or the unions have agreed better than statutory terms. It’s not only possible - it’s happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

The debt will never be cleared without the amount of waste and mismanagement in this country.

National Debt isn't like a mortgage. Countries never* repay debt, they just roll it over. They pay the interest only, and wait for inflation to reduce the principal.

* maybe not never. But rarely, if you find a load of oil, you might be able to afford to pay of your debt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭Koala Sunshine

Cian_ok wrote: »
    National Debt isn't like a mortgage. Countries never* repay debt, they just roll it over. They pay the interest only, and wait for inflation to reduce the principal.

* maybe not never. But rarely, if you find a load of oil, you might be able to afford to pay of your debt.

Well they do repay it, otherwise people wouldn't by government bonds, but yes they are continually issuing new debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Well they do repay it, otherwise people wouldn't by government bonds, but yes they are continually issuing new debt.

Yes. They repay individual bonds, but they borrow more money to pay the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Cian_ok wrote: »
    Yes. They repay individual bonds, but they borrow more money to pay the old ones.

It is more like a heroin addiction. A massive boon for them at the start when they had no debt and could borrow loads to do lots of things. Now it's just a continuous clamour to sell out and privatise everything so they can keep borrowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

How much was it again, €12 billion or so? Here's how I think the government will spend it, or to be more precise, where they will spend it on.

Dublin: 90%
    Own pockets: 9%
    Rest of country: 1%

Or am I 'slightly' too pessismistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

jaxxx wrote: »
    How much was it again, €12 billion or so? Here's how I think the government will spend it, or to be more precise, where they will spend it on.

Dublin is the driver of the irish economy. It is where the Greater population of ireland live so why not spend the majority of it on Dublin ? Own pockets I presume the people you voted in you are refering to ? Dont vote such people in the future. Why not ru n for government yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

jaxxx wrote: »

Dublin is the driver of the irish economy. It is where the Greater population of ireland live so why not spend the majority of it on Dublin ? Own pockets I presume the people you voted in you are refering to ? Dont vote such people in the future. Why not ru n for government yourself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I don't know what Apple Irish wage bill is every year? 10 million or 20 million less than that, how much exactly are we losing if we decided to take the money? 13 billion is a lot of money to ignore.

If we actually see that kind of money. I would be investing it in developing local businesses that will hire people who are on the dole queue. Private industry is never going to solve the unemployment crisis in this country. Publically owned businesses need to be developed. We are too reliant on foreign investment. Borrowing is crippling this country we need more people working the better the country can sustain itself. 13 billion invested in local industry and businesses would in no time fix unemployment. There 7 billion potential customers in the world surely we can develop products other nations need?

I would also use 1 billion to improve the Internet network in this country to improve trade and social activities.

Look at the likes of Irish rail and bus eireann losing money hand over fist. Public businesses my arse. Use it to cut taxes like VAT. Make us more competitive. Give tax breaks to companies that hire workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

cnocbui wrote: »
    The only thing that money should be spent on is paying off National debt, which currently stands at €207 billion, or €43,431 hanging over the heads of every man woman and child in the country.
    This, so we're not fecked when the next recession hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What should we spend it on?

What would give the most benefit to the most amount of people?
    Underfloor heating on all roads!

Melt this poxy snow off so we can all get around.

Advertisement