Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2019, 18:34   #1
bfa1509

A socially acceptable form of hypocrisy?

Being hypocritical has a negative connotation close to 100% of the time. But what about a father who doesn't like his daughter going out with boys but applauds his son for seeing lots of girls. I think this is a common enough occurrence (I'm not a father, but this would definitely be my attitude if I was). Is this not acceptable?

And if this offends any female (or males for that matter), do not fret, I think it's a hypocrisy that is borne out of love; as the father believes no man is good enough for his daughter but any girl is good enough for his son.

Would you agree? If not, are there any acceptable forms of hypocrisy?
Advertisement
23-07-2019, 18:43   #2
hatrickpatrick

Personally I don't agree, and I find the whole "parents being overly involved in their teenage childrens' choice of date" thing extremely disturbing, regardless of gender.
23-07-2019, 18:49   #3
eviltwin

I have a son and daughter and I have to be honest I have zero interest in their sex life once they are happy. I'm a sex positive parent, I see sex as a good and healthy thing so I'm quite happy to have my daughter's various partners stay over the years. Same for her brother when he's at that age.
(4) thanks from:
23-07-2019, 18:52   #4

The way I look at hypocrisy is that everybody is a hypocrite. EVERYBODY. It’s unavoidable in life imo. Not really what the thread is about but I am an anarchist who wants to see the world burn.
(3) thanks from:
23-07-2019, 18:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
I have a son and daughter and I have to be honest I have zero interest in their sex life once they are happy. I'm a sex positive parent, I see sex as a good and healthy thing so I'm quite happy to have my daughter's various partners stay over the years. Same for her brother when he's at that age.
Reading this, as a parent myself, and how different my views are to yours, I now realise that I am in fact a prude.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2019, 18:55   #6
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfa1509 View Post
Being hypocritical has a negative connotation close to 100% of the time. But what about a father who doesn't like his daughter going out with boys but applauds his son for seeing lots of girls. I think this is a common enough occurrence (I'm not a father, but this would definitely be my attitude if I was). Is this not acceptable?

And if this offends any female (or males for that matter), do not fret, I think it's a hypocrisy that is borne out of love; as the father believes no man is good enough for his daughter but any girl is good enough for his son.

Would you agree? If not, are there any acceptable forms of hypocrisy?

It’s not a hypocrisy that’s borne out of love, it’s a hypocrisy that’s borne out of experience, and I wouldn’t want my son putting it about any more than I wouldn’t find it acceptable if my daughter were putting it about.

That being said, there are plenty of acceptable forms of hypocrisy and what often appears to be hypocrisy but isn’t, because the circumstances are completely different, like thinking that the circumstances of a son putting it about are the same circumstances as a daughter putting it about - they’re completely different circumstances which can have potentially different outcomes.
(2) thanks from:
23-07-2019, 18:56   #7
eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Reading this, as a parent myself, and how different my views are to yours, I now realise that I am in fact a prude.
Not too late to change
23-07-2019, 18:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
Not too late to change
Who said I wanted to change?
23-07-2019, 19:00   #9
looksee
Its only five minutes since a girl getting pregnant was disaster for her and shame for the whole family, whereas a boy was entitled to be a bit of a lad and the girls he got pregnant were no better than they should be and certainly not marriage material. It takes a while for these notions to fade.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2019, 19:01   #10
Realtai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autecher View Post
The way I look at hypocrisy is that everybody is a hypocrite. EVERYBODY. It’s unavoidable in life imo.
I agree, it's part of the human condition
23-07-2019, 19:02   #11
skallywag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfa1509 View Post
(I'm not a father, but this would definitely be my attitude if I was)
Are you an adult yet?
23-07-2019, 19:06   #12
Leg End Reject

I'm just imagining being asked for an opinion on a friends outfit. If my honest answer was "it looks cheap, ill-fitting and frumpy" I'd be a c**t, so I think I'll stick with being a hypocrite.
Thanks from:
23-07-2019, 19:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
No you're not. Not being super liberated when it comes to sexual behaviour doesn't automatically mean being a prude - there's a spectrum between the two.
23-07-2019, 19:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick View Post
Personally I don't agree, and I find the whole "parents being overly involved in their teenage childrens' choice of date" thing extremely disturbing, regardless of gender.
It's hardly "extremely disturbing". Of course a parent will be concerned about who their teenage children (minors still) are going out with.

As for what the OP describes, I can't stand it - but it's a view a lot of people can't help having.
Thanks from:
23-07-2019, 19:21   #15
kowloon

Daughters should be locked away from society until they are old enough to bear children and strengthen our alliance with France.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion