Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Gift for My Boss??? - Help!

Options
  • 13-12-2007 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can get my boss and his wife for Christmas?

Our financial consultant company is small (ie: me and the bosses) and my boss & his wife are pretty well off. My first year w/ the company I got them a nice voucher for a local hotel, which they really enjoyed. But now I'm stuck, and they just gave me a very generous bonus/gift.

They've been everywhere in the area, and a meal voucher seems cheap.

I'm not able to spend a lot, but I do want to give them something nice they'll enjoy. And my last day of work is tomorrow before I leave the country for the holidays.

We're in Donegal...does anyone have any ideas??? Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

a hamper of goodies? nice chocs, wine ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Pick out a really nice bottle of wine or port, maybe?

Go to a good off licence/wine merchants and ask for recommendations.

tbh when people have alot of money its best to go with nice food/treats/alcohol. my 'rents would be well off and thats the sort of stuff they love to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I thought of that, but as a financial consultant he's given cases of wine/alcohol by our sales reps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ayla wrote: »
    I thought of that, but as a financial consultant he's given cases of wine/alcohol by our sales reps...
    Are there any good restaurants relatively local that they might enjoy?

• Advertisement

There are, but (and I hate sounding difficult) they've been to all of them *loads* of times. To the point that I'd really hesitate to get a voucher b/c I have no idea which ones they do & don't like.

festive hampers minus alcohol? i really like hampers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm in the same sort of dilemma myself.

I'm hoping to get my boss and his wife a few pictures of Clifden in Galway, they have a cottage there and I think some old framed pictures of the village and surrounding areas might be nice.

I hate giving them wine and sweets, it seems very impersonal and theyre both really good to me.

clifden isnt a village btw its a town...

clifden has its own art festival how about a few framed picturers of the posters? more mod then old photos which are pretty rare and valuable unless they are prints.

clifden isnt a village btw its a town...

Sorry, it's also spelt with a capital C...if we're going to get technical :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cathooo -

Those pics sound nice, good luck to you in finding them.

I agree that sweets/etc seem a bit impersonal. Not bad if you're in a biggish company, but when it's just me and them I feel like I should do something nicer. But what do you get someone who's obviously not *needing* anything, and I wouldn't have a clue what style of decor they'd like (ie: crystal, etc).

That's why I did the hotel voucher before - I thought it'd be good for them to have a night away for themselves b/c they're constantly running and appeared to need a break.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I used to buy my boss some kind of art. A framed picture or print, depending on my budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

What price range and what part of Donegal?

Cathooo wrote: »
    Sorry, it's also spelt with a capital C...if we're going to get technical :rolleyes:

i'd just suggest you realise its a town incase one of your bosses is a local, the clifdeners can be a tad touchy on that. anyway, best to forget my advise you clearly dont need any as long as the cap lock works on your computer.

op i know hampers/sweets sound impersonal but when you dont know your boss well enough bto know they're hobbies, interests or fave place to eat, you're causing yourself undo stress trying to be personal. sniff around today for what they're interested in.

Cathooo -

Those pics sound nice, good luck to you in finding them.

I agree that sweets/etc seem a bit impersonal. Not bad if you're in a biggish company, but when it's just me and them I feel like I should do something nicer. But what do you get someone who's obviously not *needing* anything, and I wouldn't have a clue what style of decor they'd like (ie: crystal, etc).

That's why I did the hotel voucher before - I thought it'd be good for them to have a night away for themselves b/c they're constantly running and appeared to need a break.

You sound like you work in the exact same office as me, just 4 of us here including husband and wife. They're both always on the go and busy and also dont need anything.

There's a market in Fairyhouse in Co. Meath that do these pictures, my mam got some for a friend who has a cottage in Portnoo in Donegal and I thought they would be perfect for my boss. Hoping to get out there on Sunday to look.

Newbridge silver do all sorts of nice gifts also if you want to add it to some kind of voucher. Beautiful Christmas decorations and candle holders, always acceptable IMO. Best of luck with your search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

How about a really nice xmas decoration?Newbridge do some classy but reasonable pieces. I'm sure that'd go down well?

i'd just suggest you realise its a town incase one of your bosses is a local, the clifdeners can be a tad touchy on that. anyway, best to forget my advise you clearly dont need any as long as the cap lock works on your computer.

Sorry but your first post just sounded very picky.

My knowledge of Clifden doesnt matter because I won't be writing down village or town or mentioning it to him. But I do appreciate your comment, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

If he's getting wine from sales reps, how about a decanter and some glasses?

at the end of the day op its the thought that counts and nice picture frames, decorations and anything that could be wrapped up nicely always go down a treat

op i know hampers/sweets sound impersonal but when you dont know your boss well enough bto know they're hobbies, interests or fave place to eat, you're causing yourself undo stress trying to be personal. sniff around today for what they're interested in.

Spin - you've touched a bit of a nerve here, b/c I've worked with them for over 2 years (minus maternity leave) and I feel that I do know them on some level. I know what they enjoy doing and I know I can't afford anything having to do with these interests.

I know they have a lot of style & taste, but I wouldn't presume to know what restaurant they prefer over any other, nor would I have *any idea* of any sort of gifty decor for their home, etc that they would really like.

I dislike shopping for gifts b/c I hate the idea that whatever I get won't be really liked (and then the recipient will be obliged to act happy). This is why I prefer to get things for them to do (versus look at).

Miss Fluff - we're in southern Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wutra

How about personalised hankerchiefs so they can wipe their ar*es after you kiss them! only kiddin.

what are they into?

Golf? get lessons from a pro golfer, or vouchers (shopping experience) for new golf wear.

Gardening? a new power tool or something.

Tickets to an upcoming show

Massage or body care/treatment vouchers.

Have they ever had or would like a helicopter ride?

Upgrade their phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

OK well OP I can help. I know South Donegal very well, just tell me what is your max budget and I can help. What is nearest town? Donegal Town/Killybegs/Glenties/Ballyshannon. I have impeccable taste....help me out here!

Spin - you've touched a bit of a nerve here, b/c I've worked with them for over 2 years (minus maternity leave) and I feel that I do know them on some level. I know what they enjoy doing and I know I can't afford anything having to do with these interests.
    QUOTE]

im sorry you've taken offence to a innocently meant comment. i was only trying to stress theres no point worrying about it, its the thought that counts and clearly you get on since they gave you a big bonus. ;)
    the vouchers suggested is a good idea also if their interests are expensive you can still show them you know them and hell, since they know you're pay cheque they know they cant expect the world! :)

Get him a year subscription to Setanta Sports !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Not a PI.
    Moved.
    B

this guys photos are amazing and this one is from Clifden...

http://www.philpankov.com/-/philpankov/detail.asp?photoID=1222830&cat=18916

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

Bizzarely enough an employee of mine got me a subsription to setanta sports last year and i have to say i was delighted with it.
    Much better than your bottle of wine and cigars effort i normally recieve.
    This present lasted the whole year!

glasso wrote: »
    this guys photos are amazing and this one is from Clifden...

http://www.philpankov.com/-/philpankov/detail.asp?photoID=1222830&cat=18916

Wow thanks a million, I'll have a flick through his pictures, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

Yeah nothing says thanks for employing me and merry xmas like a year's setanta!
    That dre as in dray speaks alot of sense!
    Give Setanta this christmas,the gift that keeps on giving!!

Clifden!Does that place even exist?
    rubbish.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments...

Most importantly, I decided (and have since) gotten a voucher for our theatre which is always running plays/dance/music/etc. Now they'll be able to do something together, for themselves, that they get to pick out.

Done and dusted! Thanks again all.

But, I have to add, Beruthiel, I completely disagree with your statement that this isn't a personal issue. If the only type of discussion that can come under the heading of "personal" is about sex, relationships or depression, then perhaps the forum name needs to change.

Personal issues are about *lots* of things...

Advertisement