Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who invented the term "wet pubs" ?

• 15-09-2020 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Whoever it was should be jailed for life

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Seems fair. Will be out in no time though.

"Cocooning" and "staycation" also need to be excised from everyday parlance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Shot at dawn, imho :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you have ever been in a 'wet pub' around closing time on a busy Saturday night, you'll know what it means. Every surface of the pub is soaked in some kind of fluid, some less mentonable than others

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Why din't they just call them proper pubs because that's what they actually are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

Shot with balls of their own ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Along with "socially distanced" for every single event where 2 or more people might possibly come within an asses roar of one another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

some dry sh¡te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NPHET methinks.

Our new rulers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Some Gobshyte in government no doubt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Should be changed to;

Atin' pubs
    Drinkin' pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Akrasia wrote: »
    If you have ever been in a 'wet pub' around closing time on a busy Saturday night, you'll know what it means. Every surface of the pub is soaked in some kind of fluid, some less mentonable than others
    This is what I think of every time I read the expression - a pub soaked in piss. Awful term imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Someone in a wet lab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's the logical extension of the effort, which was well underway long before covid, to transform traditional Irish pubs into more "civilised" food establishments. It is the kind of term dreamt up by people who think of a drinking only place as the deviation from the norm. And in turn it normalises the idea that places where eating is more or less expected are the ordinary thing. You get this in America a lot, where only dingy places are "bars" where's anywhere comfortable, even if it looks like a pub, they will start you off with a menu etc, and just coming in to drink is seen as strange.

The long term ambition has been to kill off proper pubs ever since Michael mcdowell was around. Covid has helped a lot.

Tldr: Wet pubs my hairy hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I heard of it in the past, an industry term in the UK.

Wet-led pubs vs food-led pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Staycation in particular, Bertie.

Grinds my gears so it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Staycation in particular, Bertie.

Grinds my gears so it does.

You need to take a mindfulness retreat up to Knock Johnny. Oil your gears etc.

#Praycation

Or mebbe a seaside stroll on the promenade

#Braycation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is what I think of every time I read the expression - a pub soaked in piss. Awful term imo.

It's not all piss in fairness, some of it is vomit, lots of it is spilt heineken, and a small amount is semen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's not all piss in fairness, some of it is vomit, lots of it is spilt heineken, and a small amount is semen

You should consider switching to a new local.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Wet pub...stupid term. Staycation boils my blood. People in ireland don't even vacation. Staycation a pack of American ****. We holiday, ya? But coccooning is ok surely.

• Advertisement

It is my second most hated term of the last few months. I have a top 5.
    5 Cocooning
    4 Staycation
    3 New Normal
    2 Wet pubs
    And in at number 1 the mind bendingly dreadful basement dweller loving.......................................
    Socially Distant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

who ever called it pub rather than bar should have to look at mggregors ding dong
    until they turn to stone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    who ever called it pub rather than bar should have to look at mggregors ding dong
    until they turn to stone

bar vs pub
    https://www.diffen.com/difference/Bar_vs_Pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

some gob****e in dail heriann getting paid a mint for doing fook all........................................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

It just makes me think of some weird bar with sticky, stout-soaked carpets and a bad smell wafting from the jacks.

Awful, awful phrase to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

DOP’s - drink only pubs.

FAD’s - food and drink pubs,

“Jeeez I’ve got a quare thirst on me horse I’ll be off down the DOP”

“I need to get a feed down the bleedin FAD wha ?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

Strumms wrote: »
    DOP’s - drink only pubs.

FAD’s - food and drink pubs,

“Jeeez I’ve got a quare thirst on me horse I’ll be off down the DOP”

“I need to get a feed down the bleedin FAD wha ?”

throw it in to ya lad...............................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's sounds like a horrible local bar you go to. Thankfully I do not go to bars or any wet pubs. I prefer to stay dry myself. We get enough rain in this country without getting wet in a pub too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Pubs are pubs; places that do food too are inns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Should be changed to;

Atin' pubs
    Drinkin' pubs.

I'll go with that!! 👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Spleodar

Pubs.
    Pubs with grub.

Simple.

and none of this 'gastropub' stuff. It sounds like some kind of stomach medication.

"Heartburn? Trapped wind? The Scutters? ... Try new GASTROPUB! Just one tablet twice a day and you'll be running like clockwork. - Always read the label!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

A good dose of a wet pub leads to extreme dryness.
    edit Which I'm all for, I may add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,884 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

It is my second most hated term of the last few months. I have a top 5.
    5 Cocooning
    4 Staycation
    3 New Normal
    2 Wet pubs
    And in at number 1 the mind bendingly dreadful basement dweller loving.......................................
    Socially Distant.

You forgot to put SO if front on the name, So wet pub, so staycation,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I prefer to call them Bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Wet pub. So called because a manky pint will have wet crap running out your arse instead of your p!sser.

Gastro pub. So called well because manky food will not only shoot out your arse as well as your mouth.

Staycation. Well it serves all you Fu¢kers right for wanting to talk like yanks.

And its always been a pub in my time, a bar to my was always something made of chocolate.

Its time we started to take back our sayings. Bars, staycation, serves you all right.

Conspiracy theory, maybe covid was invented so we could change our vocabulary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The long term ambition has been to kill off proper pubs ever since Michael mcdowell was around. Covid has helped a lot.

My local town had over a dozen pubs at one time, that was fine when stout was looked upon as a foodstuff. There's 6 now and that's more than enough.
    Ffs there were pubs in every nook and cranny and in the arse end of nowhere, obviously they all couldn't stay going and the drink driving lark had reached a point where that had to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's the logical extension of the effort, which was well underway long before covid, to transform traditional Irish pubs into more "civilised" food establishments. It is the kind of term dreamt up by people who think of a drinking only place as the deviation from the norm. And in turn it normalises the idea that places where eating is more or less expected are the ordinary thing. You get this in America a lot, where only dingy places are "bars" where's anywhere comfortable, even if it looks like a pub, they will start you off with a menu etc, and just coming in to drink is seen as strange.

Tldr: Wet pubs my hairy hole.

Ah right. So its a big conspiracy to kill the pub.
    Geuze wrote: »
    I heard of it in the past, an industry term in the UK.

Wet-led pubs vs food-led pubs.

Oh, so it's an established industry term and not a conspiracy to kill off the pubs.

Lads, why the need for conspiracy theories? What's in it for the government and why have successive governments agreed on trying to kill off the pub in spite of the tax revenue it brings in through direct tax on alcohol, income tax and corporation tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

"Moist" pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

NIMAN wrote: »
    NPHET methinks.

Our new rulers.

No interest in what the people want. Nobody voted them in. They spout lies to create fear. Cherrypicking the science. Keep all their salaries no matter how badly things go to hell for others. White-knuckle grip on power.

They are the centrefold poster blutacked to Trump's and Putin's bedroom walls I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

What...And Gastro pubs doesn't sound like fàrts and belching??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

sabat wrote: »
    Pubs are pubs; places that do food too are inns.

I’d say the effort needed to amend that usage of words in our language would be futile.

“I say, Dorothy darling, it might be of a mutual benefit that we might pop towards the Inn this evening to partake of some beverages and a bite to eat and the atmosphere, what say you, darling ? darling ?”

“Jimmy luv, put yar bleedin shoes back on , the only place you are bleedin goin is out for a couple of bags o cans fir us, ring the bell and I’ll let you back Inn”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

topper75 wrote: »
    No interest in what the pub lobby wants.

Fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I was fine with that, thought it was a nice term for older people and less harsh sounding than isolating, because for some older folk in rural areas they are isolated enough as is.

"Staycation" and indeed it's daddy "Vacation" can go and **** off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Soggy pubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just call them

Proper pubs and notions pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

It's not a new term. It was definitely used during the last recession and has been used in calculating a pub value for years X times wet sales + Y times dry (food) sales = total value of pub.

The only food in a wet pub is peanuts, taytos and maybe purple snacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Probably a Government Kuntsultant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

I wasn't able to go on holiday this year. I took a naycation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

More than likely some senior civil servant.

And because said civil servant, has a lot of clout and the arse lickers wouldn't dare suggest wet pubs sounds ridiculous.
    For they might fall out of favour for going against the status quo...

Going forward...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement