Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Home

Options
  • 11-09-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey guys.

Any help here appreciated

So we are in a position where are renovating a property and extending it. We've just got our planning in. We are putting our other property on the market to fund the works.

As its home improvement and an extension, are we getting a mortgage again or would this come under a loan. If so, how are the payments made, i presume stage payments.

I know its better to meet our mortgage adviser but the next meeting is the end of next week so just anxious to have some opinions here.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 peachypyro

I'm not renovating but recently have taken out a mortgage myself.
    From my understanding of it, you can arrange to drawdown stage payments with your mortgage provider.
    Don't be too anxious, they will go through all the information you need and will answer any questions you have. If you'er anything like me, you will have plenty!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,150 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

carbuyer01 wrote: »
    Hey guys.

So we are in a position where are renovating a property and extending it. We've just got our planning in. We are putting our other property on the market to fund the works.

As its home improvement and an extension, are we getting a mortgage again or would this come under a loan. If so, how are the payments made, i presume stage payments.

I know its better to meet our mortgage adviser but the next meeting is the end of next week so just anxious to have some opinions here.

Thanks

It would depend on the amount you want, and the terms you are looking for. It wouldn't be automatically classed as one or the other - it depends on how you want, or need, to structure the loan.

A loan would be one payment.
    A mortgage would be staged based on certain milestones of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

carbuyer01 wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Thanks

Mortgage would be the best option, home improvement loan would be too expensive, mortgage rates would be far better.

They bank would normally allow drawdown in stage payments with supervising architect/engineer to confirm each stage complete and within planning permissions etc.

Advertisement