Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a no deal brexit effect house prices in the border area?

Options
  • 08-09-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi
    My daughter had planned on buying a house in the Fermanagh border were she lived(northern side).
    She was told by a lot of people to hold on to see what happens with brexit,because the house prices may drop if a no deal happens.
    How long does one wait or will it be a year or 2 before there is a drop or maybe no drop at all !
    Any advice..
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If no-deal Brexit, or hard Brexit, happens and persists, then the border area will be significantly economically depressed. I would expect this to have a depressive effect on house prices, but this might take a bit of time to flow through - even when it happens, people will hope for as long as they can that it won't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maryjane1970

So what does one do?wait until jan 2020 or longer?.
    I remember reading in the local paper that a local auctioneer said that house prices could plummet 20-40% if uk drops out with no deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

So what does one do?wait until jan 2020 or longer?.
    I remember reading in the local paper that a local auctioneer said that house prices could plummet 20-40% if uk drops out with no deal...

Nobody can tell you the answer.
    It could swing either way.

Border houses might become more valuable if people want to be close to the Republic for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nobody can tell you the answer.
    It could swing either way.

Border houses might become more valuable if people want to be close to the Republic for work.

Not if we go back to the 1970s with closures for unapproved roads!

If there’s no daily crossing of the border then I would press ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maryjane1970

Wait until the out come of October 31th?

• Advertisement
Advertisement