Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage Top for Extension but need new car

Options
  • 12-08-2019 10:06am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hoping to meet the bank about the possibility of getting a top up to build an extension.

House is about €220k in positive equity. Cost of extension is about €150k and based on similar houses in the estate would add the same in value.

Repayments are about €600 pm. This will be offset by reduce child care costs (moving to after school care only ~ €400 savings per month) and my wife has just got a payrise of roughly €200 pm.

We are 6 months in to a 5 year fixed rate with KBC and will be going with them.

On paper there shouldn't be an issue.

What complicates things is that our car just broke down. It may not be economical to repair and might be cheaper to replace. What do you think our changes are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Equity matters less than the LTV. What's the loan to value ratio?

You'll max that out at about 80-90%, depending on the bank.

It's not clear if your existing mortgage is 600 pm or the additional borrowing requested is 600 pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Additional borrowing is €600 pm.

Loan to value is about 66%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The interest rate is gonna be low, but you're going to be still paying off that car in 20 years time...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Markcheese wrote: »
    The interest rate is gonna be low, but you're going to be still paying off that car in 20 years time...

How? A loan through the CC over 5 years will pay of a €20k loan with repayments of €450 per month approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

How about first finding out what's wrong with the car and what it'll cost to fix it? Could be something simple.

• Advertisement

Thats been done at the moment. We have our meeting with the bank on Thursday. Just looking at options

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Use credit union for car loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Grand. I just mean it would be mad to take on extra long term debt if the car could be fixed for a few hundred. What are the symptoms?

Grand. I just mean it would be mad to take on extra long term debt if the car could be fixed for a few hundred. What are the symptoms?

Old age. Lots of stuff going on it. One quote to fix is 1/4 of the value of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

It is just my opinion: If your disposable income increases lets say by 10% (salary increase + childcare saving), I would consider an increase of mortgage/loan of 10% (which would mean a smaller extension or no extension at all).
    It looks like all your new income will only serve to increase your debt and you are even considering taking a car loan on top of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

godtabh wrote: »
    Old age. Lots of stuff going on it. One quote to fix is 1/4 of the value of the car

Still cheaper than replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You should be able to sit down and do the affordability calculations yourself. Getting a mortgage, or remortgage while you have a loan won’t be an issue if you can afford it on paper.
    I don’t know how kbc work it out. AIB, for example will require you to have around €1050 per adult and €250 per child to live on after you pay off your mortgage, childcare and other loans paid off. It doesn’t matter if you think you can afford the extra debt, what matters is the bank thinking so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Putting a car loan onto your mortgage is about as nonsensical as ... well... I cant actually think of anything that silly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ELM327 wrote: »
    Putting a car loan onto your mortgage is about as nonsensical as ... well... I cant actually think of anything that silly.

Is it really though if you're disciplined enough to overpay that amount over the equivalent term of a car loan? That will be cheaper than taking out a car loan at higher rates of interest.

It's quite tight to be honest.

By borrowing 150k, you're bringing your LTV up to 89% temporarily. You'll be able to bring that down to 73% after the extension is completed, all remaining equal in the market (and assuming you are dublin direction, apparently there is a dip going on at the moment, which could strip away some of that value).

Having done some extensions, there's always a bit of overrun, where it suddenly makes sense to do a little bit of extra work at the time while a wall is open or something, so I'd want to have some backup savings in the pocket too.

To be honest, you may want to hold on the extension a year or two, until the car is sorted and you've a bit of savings comfort built up with the childcare cost dip. Maybe make up a five year plan.
    2019 - Car replacement
    2020 - planning permission and costs
    2021 - extend
    2022 - other car replacement
    etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How? A loan through the CC over 5 years will pay of a €20k loan with repayments of €450 per month approx.

My bad, I though the OP wanted to use some of the mortgage top to pay for a new car...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Buy some thing for less then 5 grand get the extension done then see where you are and if it makes sense to but a better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Extension must be very large for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Have you looked at a PCP loan?

Amirani wrote: »
    Is it really though if you're disciplined enough to overpay that amount over the equivalent term of a car loan? That will be cheaper than taking out a car loan at higher rates of interest.
    I'd suggest that taking a 0% PCP is better value again.
    Putting a car on the mortgage is nonsense, I thought it went out with the boom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd suggest that taking a 0% PCP is better value again.
    Putting a car on the mortgage is nonsense, I thought it went out with the boom

Taking a 0% PCP involves buying a new car and dropping probably €20k or more. Not sure that's better value than taking a €10k loan at 3% interest for 5 years.

The second option would involve a cost of credit of €781 for the 5 years. Seems a more sensible option than buying a new car because of some glossy finance offer, which to me sounds more like boom time behaviour.

Taking out a PCP when it comes to being assessed for a change in mortgage isn't a good idea, because they increase your monthly financial commitments.

To maximise the amount you borrow for mortgage lending purposes, you want to minimise all your other financial commitments, like loans, maintenance orders, phone contracts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Why spend 20k on a car? You can get a very good secondhand one for half the price

Why spend 20k on a car? You can get a very good secondhand one for half the price

Absolutely, or get an electric second hand for about 10K and remove all your petrol and servicing costs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You might consider going over to the Motors section and look for some advice about the car.
    Tell them the make, model, year and what is wrong with it.
    You may find it is not so bad as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Not necessarily. E.g. if you were prepared to overpay the mortgage by the monthly amount you would be paying back to the CU then you have the cheapest form of borrowing.

Amirani wrote: »
    Taking a 0% PCP involves buying a new car and dropping probably €20k or more. Not sure that's better value than taking a €10k loan at 3% interest for 5 years.

The second option would involve a cost of credit of €781 for the 5 years. Seems a more sensible option than buying a new car because of some glossy finance offer, which to me sounds more like boom time behaviour.
    Not necessarily. E.g. if you were prepared to overpay the mortgage by the monthly amount you would be paying back to the CU then you have the cheapest form of borrowing.

Most people are not that disciplined though.
    Credit cards are another cheap form of credit. If used correctly. 56 days interest free purchases so if you clear the statement every month there's no interest. Most do not do this, myself included :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thats been done at the moment. We have our meeting with the bank on Thursday. Just looking at options

Why do you 'need' to spend that kind of money on a car?
    You could easily buy a perfectly good car for very small money and not even need to borrow.

Thats perfectly viable so. Must be feck all as if the car is very old its not worth much anyway, so a 1/4 must be peanuts.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
      Absolutely, or get an electric second hand for about 10K and remove all your petrol and servicing costs as well.

Not many decent electrics available at that price, if any. Car needs to fit someones needs, an earlier leaf isnt much use if youve kids and buggies for example.

Advertisement