Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyor (Kildare) asks to be payed in advance!

Options
  • 24-09-2018 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi all,

I asked a building surveyor to review my soon-hopefully-be-mine house which he did. I was promised to receive the report by tomorrow. Today, i got an email saying, with the bill attached, that I will receive the report once I have paid the bill and shown sufficient proof of payment.

My gut feeling tells me that this is odd. However, I do not know the local custom about dealing with surveyor reports and payments. Is this legitimate practise in Ireland? Is there a story behind it?

Best, A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭raheny red

That's what my surveyor did for me last week. If they send it to you without paying then they would be fearing not receiving payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Interesting. So, it all worked out for you in the end? No funny business on their side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Same for me. Its standard for that business to receive payment in advance of releasing report.

Obviously. However, it could also be that you pay 500 Euro and get a one-pager with standard text and one picture of the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya ive always paid in advance.

With the purpose of those reports i believe payment in advance is essential in order to get a 100% honest report.

If the surveyor needs to worry about giving a bad report then there will be problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The reason for this is to protect the surveyor against clients who receive the report first and don't like what they read and refuse to pay unless the report in revised to contain the "right" findings. Surveyor has clearly been stung by such characters before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ampleforth wrote: »
    Obviously. However, it could also be that you pay 500 Euro and get a one-pager with standard text and one picture of the house...

Well you have sure you know what you are buying before you pay. You ask the surveyor what you get for the money.

If my answer is obvious why ask the question.
    Surveyor should have set out what report would look like or what it will and will not include. I doubt it will include any pictures of the house.

Sorry Baby01032012, meant it makes sense to me. Thanks for your experiences, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

ampleforth wrote: »

Could you arrange to call in to office/meet in person to review, then you can pay before it is handed over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

It works both eays - I've experienced issues with a surveyor being extremely slow to deliver the report, in that case I'd already paid and I didn't have any leverage to get the report issued. I'd try bargain a bit, pay the majority but withhold some payment until delivery.

To be honest, he was quite straight with me so far and also walked through the house with me and telling me about almost everything I wanted to know. So, its probably OK for me to put a bit of faith in it.

I am glad to read from others who have had similar experience paying in advance; so at least I know that I am not the only one in Ireland who receives this request. Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If my answer is obvious why ask the question.
    Surveyor should have set out what report would look like or what it will and will not include. I doubt it will include any pictures of the house.

99.9% of Building Surveys will contain pictures.
    Put it this way, as a Building Surveyor, I haven't seen a report without pictures for as long as I can recall.

kceire wrote: »
    Put it this way, as a Building Surveyor, I haven't seen a report without pictures for as long as I can recall.

Good to know what you do as a day job :)

I might even use you next time. I have to say I’ve been very happy with survey reports I got from my guy in the past, very detailed but can’t remember there ever being a photo in any of them.

“What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?" (Lewis Carroll; Alice in Wonderland) ;)

This is just a follow-up.

I went ahead and payed in full and received a 25 page report WITH pictures at the end about half a week after that. There were no complications. It took about two weeks between the surveying and the receiving of the report (with about half a week for the business of pre-paying and waiting for confirmation). I think this all fits normal timelines.

Thanks again for the replies. It helped me to understand a few things better.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kceire wrote: »

Got one done recently. Had no pictures and I paid a week after I got the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Thorntons (one of the bigger ones) so this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Why do these reports need to be 25 pages? It seems they are padded out to justify 500-600euro. I would prefer a concise report 5-8 pages for 250-300euro with main findings. I need a surveyor at the moment so if anybody can recommend one max 350euro feel free to PM. The house is in Kildare also.

250 to 300 seems a bit low if you want a report. Mine offered a 'walkthrough' for 80 Euro... but i wanted a report. Maybe something that would suit you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

When you go to a garage for petrol you pay immediately, same as when you go to the shops. I never part with any property related documents till I have been paid! Got bitten once too often so now no credit given!

Advertisement