Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prime Time special on rental crisis (RTE1 Tues 31st Match 9.35pm)

Options
  • 31-03-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Anyone watching? Interested to see will they have any politicians on offering practical solutions to the private rental crisis in Dublin, and maybe alternatives to raising rent supplement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SimonTheITGuy

Rent supplement should never be used long term like that, to stay in a nice apartment for 5 years+

"And how are your job-seeking efforts going?"

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

So it's basically a synopsis of every thread on here for the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

That's a lovely apartment. Not fair that it's not just given to her seeing as she has a kid.

*goes back to ironing his shirt for the morning in his hovel *

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

That girl on right now seems to have the cash for exquisite nails, highlighted hair .... I'm working and obviously have no rent allowance! I got my eyebrows done last week after waiting since before Christmas. How can she afford this? I'm sorry - but use my taxes to those who really cannot support themselves but couldn't she save the money used for those beauty indulgences to prop up her rent when / if necessary??? I know I don't know her situation - and many, many out there are justified to need rent supplement and support but ... Just an observation!!

There are many landlords who gave the banks roaring at their doors re mortgage repayments and therefore have to raise their rents. Landlords are not charity cases!

Time the govt started building / providing more social housing - not rely on private landlord sector. Also - rent allowance should be for those who really NEED IT!!!

• Advertisement

Poor landlords :-(

Golfwidow wrote: »
    That girl on right now seems to have the cash for exquisite nails, highlighted hair .... I'm working and obviously have no rent allowance! I got my eyebrows done last week after waiting since before Christmas. How can she afford this? I'm sorry - but use my taxes to those who really cannot support themselves but couldn't she save the money used for those beauty indulgences to prop up her rent when / if necessary??? I know I don't know her situation - and many, many out there are justified to need rent supplement and support but ... Just an observation!!

There are many landlords who gave the banks roaring at their doors re mortgage repayments and therefore have to raise their rents. Landlords are not charity cases!

Time the govt started building / providing more social housing - not rely on private landlord sector. Also - rent allowance should be for those who really NEED IT!!!

This is not the place to have a rant about social welfare recipients.
    Please don't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I didn't catch the start, but was there any mention of the need of new social housing to be built?

This government cannot keep pushing this onus onto private landlords.

Increase rent supplement, can't see any problems with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Rents will only increase anyway, besides most landlords don't want to take RS since the system is **** from a landlord's POV.

• Advertisement

Folks as a gentle reminder, this is an all encompassing forum with renters, landlords (professional and accidental) and owners all posting. We do not allow remarks that will create a 'them vs us' situation on the thread. So please do not cross the line or I will lock the thread.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Rents will only increase anyway, besides most landlords don't want to take RS since the system is **** from a landlord's POV.

I agree, increasing rent supplement would have a knock on effect and increase private rent also. Building about 100,000+ social housing units is the only practical solution to this mess. Which we would have if previous governments didn't sell off their social housing stock to the tenants in a bid to win votes.

I agree, increasing rent supplement would have a knock on effect and increase private rent also. Building about 100,000+ social housing units is the only practical solution to this mess. Which we would have if previous governments didn't sell off their social housing stock to the tenants in a bid to win votes.

Do you envisage rent allowance being scrapped and social housing with the local authorities being the landlord to replace that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pasty12345

Why does all these programmes just deal with the Dublin crisis? In fairness it should be done throughout the country,not just stick to Dublin. The world does exist outside the Dublin border

Pasty12345 wrote: »
    Why does all these programmes just deal with the Dublin crisis? In fairness it should be done throughout the country,not just stick to Dublin. The world does exist outside the Dublin border

I'm listening to it here and I've heard figures for Limerick & Galway being used, it's just that Dublin has the highest density of the population so those affected will be higher.

Do you envisage rent allowance being scrapped and social housing with the local authorities being the landlord to replace that?

I think it would be a much better solution than what's currently in place, where social welfare tenants get to choose to live in really nice apartments in good areas (alongside people working hard and paying huge mortgages for the same property)/

It would also eliminate people living out of hotels/B&Bs or being made homeless. And takes the burden off private landlords to provide social housing.

It's a long term solution which would require some foresight and planning, our current system of electing governments for 4 year terms who kick the can down the road to the next party to deal with is not going to embrace this kind of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I found it a bit odd the girl on 1st saying she wished she never went on rent allowance.

Why did she?
    What is stopping her and a not going home if possible. Totally understand not always possible.
    I work crazy hours and rent and get no help whatsoever not even tax relief as I only started renting 2010 as the family home was not suitable for my partner and child.

I am sick to death with all the rubbish going on.

Why aren't hard workers given a break for once.

The whole system of prtb and how long it takes is crazy.

Rents are out of control and I was pushed further and further away just so I can afford the extortionate rent.

We are in for a new world of pain with all these tycoons coming in and buying up properties to make a fortune of those of us that are finding it impossible to save while having to fork out huge rents.

I'm sorry but honestly what stress has that girl really have that was on at the start. She is in receipt of monies to pay for her rent.

Landlords are struggling in some cases also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Try finding somewhere in cork city and its surrounds for the last yr or so. Next to impossible so sick of hearing its a dublin crisis its a national crisis

I'm listening to it here and I've heard figures for Limerick & Galway being used, it's just that Dublin has the highest density of the population so those affected will be higher.

I've been looking for rental house in a seaside town where I reside for a year now and not one suitable option. They are either apartments or holiday homes where they want in excess of 600-1200 a week. Over 70% of houses here are holiday homes and they have no interest in renting to longterm renters. I have a family so I need an enclosed garden and I'm waiting over a year for a house to come up that has that. Rural town and seaside big towns have a big problem

I've been looking for rental house in a seaside town where I reside for a year now and not one suitable option. They are either apartments or holiday homes where they want in excess of 600-1200 a week. Over 70% of houses here are holiday homes and they have no interest in renting to longterm renters. I have a family so I need an enclosed garden and I'm waiting over a year for a house to come up that has that. Rural town and seaside big towns have a big problem

I do think that is linked to employment and education. Most people need to live where the jobs are or where they are going to college, not many people will go and live in a rural town so it wouldn't be something an investor will consider unless they were going into a longterm arrangement with someone.

• Advertisement

I do think that is linked to employment and education. Most people need to live where the jobs are or where they are going to college, not many people will go and live in a rural town so it wouldn't be something an investor will consider unless they were going into a longterm arrangement with someone.

I'm looking to rent for the next 5/6 years while I save deposit for mortgage.

I'm looking to rent for the next 5/6 years while I save deposit for mortgage.

That's not longterm.

The areas you are looking probably don't have a rental market.

That's not longterm.

The areas you are looking probably don't have a rental market.

I know of about 20 people looking to rentals. It's a big seaside town and there are also over 400 waiting on the council list. The last town meeting advised of the issues with lack of accomadation in area.
    In my opinion renting 5/6 years is longterm. That's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Which we would have if previous governments didn't sell off their social housing stock to the tenants in a bid to win votes.
    IMO, they sold the social housing off to people that they copped won't be moving anytime soon, to raise capital to buy more social housing.
    I found it a bit odd the girl on 1st saying she wished she never went on rent allowance.

Why did she?
    What is stopping her and a not going home if possible.
    With a lot of people, it's a poverty trap. Get a job, the money for RA and the dole stop, so you are suddenly up sh|t creek without a paddle. It may be doable, but once you are there, you can't leave.

Oh, and there may not be a home to go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

Increasing rents is a cause of homelessness for lower paid workers, increasing rent supplements exacerbates rent increases. If a landlord make a low paid working family homeless by increasing rent and subsequently accepts a rent allowance eligible tenancy at the higher rent then this is seen as "progressive " but it has no net effect on homelessness. It has only 2 effects
    1. It increases the transfer of wealth from taxpayers to landlords (through increased rents and rent supplement)
    2. It disincentivises working as low paid workers are being removed from their homes to accommodate state supported tenants at higher rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Eventually the price reaches a point where nobody working at the base level to keep the area going can afford to live in it, the area then suffers economic collapse and then rents along with house prices collapse.

Advertisement