Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First house

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Godge wrote: »
    Ok, so you haven't told us where you work but you have told us your girlfriend is paid by the taxpayer to look after your son (I know you described it differently but it is the same thing).

I was wondering if you were a public servant? Imagine that your are for a minute and look at it from the view of some of these posters. Because if that was the case, the taxpayer would be paying for your salary, your girlfriend's salary, care for your son (provided by your girlfirend) and a rental subsidy for your house. And out of all that money the taxpayer is giving you, you can save for a holiday home. Are you surprised therefore that people are a bit taken aback by your story (Even if you are working in the private sector, there is a lot of taxpayer money subsidising your household).
    OMG you're right. Think of all those public servants paying mortgages:eek: WE'RE actually paying their mortgage!!! :eek::eek:

Seriously, what an utterly ridiculous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

OMG you're right. Think of all those public servants paying mortgages:eek: WE'RE actually paying their mortgage!!! :eek::eek:

Seriously, what an utterly ridiculous post.

You must have missed the point.

The main point is how can the country, in the state it is in, be able to greatly subsidise someone's house and pay for the care of their child to such an extent that they can afford to buy a holiday home???? There must be someone out there more deserving of taxpayers cash who can't afford a holiday home. If not, the money is better spent paying back the debt or cutting the budget deficit.

I was stretching it beyond that to absurdity to show up the absurdity.

Not every post here is as simple as it looks.
    Not every post here is about public service bashing or defending public servants.

The main point is how can the country, in the state it is in, be able to greatly subsidise someone's house and pay for the care of their child to such an extent that they can afford to buy a holiday home???? There must be someone out there more deserving of taxpayers cash who can't afford a holiday home. If not, the money is better spent paying back the debt or cutting the budget deficit.

Not every post here is about public service bashing or defending public servants.
    Well you're aiming your anger at the wrong person. The OP didn't set the policies and he's not breaking any laws. Whether you like it or not he's not doing anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Well you're aiming your anger at the wrong person. The OP didn't set the policies and he's not breaking any laws. Whether you like it or not he's not doing anything wrong.

Hold on, does that meant that the original post isn't a complete wind up??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

He's not doing anything illegal, I think he is doing something wrong.

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Hold on, does that meant that the original post isn't a complete wind up??
    I've made no reference to the original post, just some of the responses. You'd swear you must be on the breadline to have a council house when that's clearly not the case. Drive around any council estate in the country and you'll soon lose count of the amount of mercs and beemers in the driveways. I'm not saying this is right but there's no point giving out about it to the people living there, especially not on an internet forum.

If I was in the OP's shoes and was paying little rent for a house I'm entitled to in an area I like then I'm hardly going to give that up. I also doubt that people here would be so morally inclined as to turn that down either, if given the chance.

Although I do agree a holiday home is a bit cheeky. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I've made no reference to the original post, just some of the responses. You'd swear you must be on the breadline to have a council house when that's clearly not the case. Drive around any council estate in the country and you'll soon lose count of the amount of mercs and beemers in the driveways. I'm not saying this is right but there's no point giving out about it to the people living there, especially not on an internet forum.

If I was in the OP's shoes and was paying little rent for a house I'm entitled to in an area I like then I'm hardly going to give that up. I also doubt that people here would be so morally inclined as to turn that down either, if given the chance.

I don't really hold with the 'Well, everyone's doing it' defence.

I'm not going to play the high moral card and say i'd turn it down, I probably wouldn't, I'd probably take it

But how absolutely f##ked is this country if a family with a disposable income of 2,700 a month only pays 160 a month in rent. For the life of me i can't comprehend it, I'm sitting here in absolute shock and disbelief, they will soon be replaced by anger i'm sure

The system is an absolute joke. It'd be funny if i wasn't paying such huge bloody taxes to keep it going.

No wonder our social welfare bill is 22 billion a year, we're dishing money out like its going out of fashion. Yet I know a couple of people who's businesses have failed and they're not getting a penny in welfare. This must be one of the most unjust societies in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

If it's the truth then you can bet a hell of a lot more people will apply for it after reading this thread. I too am shocked at this, can't believe it in fact. I know of nobody earning that sort of money and claiming off the state also. Can't believe people have the balls to do it also but this is Ireland after all so why TF am I surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

No wonder our social welfare bill is 22 billion a year, we're dishing money out like its going out of fashion.

there is no social welfare involved in this case, they are working

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    there is no social welfare involved in this case, they are working

Where does the social housing budget come from? Or is that from local authorities budgets??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Moneytalks

My son needs 24 hour care so should I get someone else in to care for him or his mother. As she is with him all day she cannot work so she gets paid the same amount as if we get someone in to care for him.
    This is getting ridiculous.

If you need help go somewhere else but if you want to be abused and called names by people boards is the place to come.

Moneytalks - can you see how people would be very angry about this? (the system and not you specifically)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Moneytalks wrote: »
    My son needs 24 hour care so should I get someone else in to care for him or his mother. As she is with him all day she cannot work so she gets paid the same amount as if we get someone in to care for him.
    This is getting ridiculous.

If you need help go somewhere else but if you want to be abused and called names by people boards is the place to come.

Can you answer this question honestly please: Do you think it is right that you can be given a council house and also buy a holiday home when others are having problems getting any kind of home to begin with? Surely you could agree that the system stinks and that you shouldn't have this kind of opportunity available to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

deisedevil wrote: »
    Can you answer this question honestly please: Do you think it is right that you can be given a council house and also buy a holiday home when others are having problems getting any kind of home to begin with? Surely you could agree that the system stinks and that you shouldn't have this kind of opportunity available to you.

I doubt that otherwise they wouldn't be doing it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I've read through this post and honestly can't believe it. Ok OP I get that your son needs care, that your girlfriend provides it and gets paid the same amount as if you had to get someone else to do it. Can understand that & support it. My mam had a similar set up when she looked after her mother. No issue with that.

Think the issue people have is that while you're talking about buying a holiday home, you're living in a council house & paying a minimal rent. I'm earning less than you per your posts and would love to buy the apartment I'm living in but it would take me years to save the deposit as I've to pay rent. There's no way I'd get a council place as I believe there are people who are much worse off then me who need them. I can get by with what I have & save a bit.

Can you not see that what you're talking about would get people who've scrimped & saved & borrowed to buy their own place's backs up because you want a holiday home? If you'd come on & asked the same questions but in relation to getting your own first home then I don't think you would have faced the backlash that you've been getting over this.

SteoL wrote: »
    I doubt that otherwise they wouldn't be doing it :mad:

If it's legal then he's doing nothing wrong. The system is at fault, not the OP. (He must have no conscience though)

I've read through this post and honestly can't believe it. Ok OP I get that your son needs care, that your girlfriend provides it and gets paid the same amount as if you had to get someone else to do it. Can understand that & support it. My mam had a similar set up when she looked after her mother. No issue with that.

Think the issue people have is that while you're talking about buying a holiday home, you're living in a council house & paying a minimal rent. I'm earning less than you per your posts and would love to buy the apartment I'm living in but it would take me years to save the deposit as I've to pay rent. There's no way I'd get a council place as I believe there are people who are much worse off then me who need them. I can get by with what I have & save a bit.

Can you not see that what you're talking about would get people who've scrimped & saved & borrowed to buy their own place's backs up because you want a holiday home? If you'd come on & asked the same questions but in relation to getting your own first home then I don't think you would have faced the backlash that you've been getting over this.

Well yes and no. The fact that it was a holiday home just took the biscuit altogether.

However lets not get away from the fact that his household is getting income of 2,700 but is entitled to practically free rent. That's where the real issues are.

We were originally going to buy our own council house and then we thought why don't we buy a house in Wexford we can live in during the summer as our rent is so cheap we could afford the 600 mortgage and 160 would nobody else do it if they could.

Well yes and no. The fact that it was a holiday home just took the biscuit altogether.

However lets not get away from the fact that his household is getting income of 2,700 but is entitled to practically free rent. That's where the real issues are.

Well I just meant that it didn't get down to the fact that he was in a council place until after the holiday house thing came up. If he'd left it before saying that then the thread probably would have just faded into the background.

I agree that that is a real issue alright though.

• Advertisement

We were originally going to buy our own council house and then we thought why don't we buy a house in Wexford we can live in during the summer as our rent is so cheap we could afford the 600 mortgage and 160 would nobody else do it if they could.

Some people might do it but some others might think they would be taking the pi55 if they went getting themselves a holiday home while taking up a house that someone else could badly do with.

Yes it can be done but can you not see why it's so bloody unfair that you have the chance to do this to begin with?

But can you not see where this might really annoy people that you should be entitled to a council house but yet be able to afford a mortgage on a holiday home?! No I wouldn't do it. I'd feel more pride in living in a place full time that I'd saved to get. Not taking the p out of the tax payer by having your cake and scoffing it too.

Some people might do it but some others might think they would be taking the pi55 if they went getting themselves a holiday home while taking up a house that someone else could badly do with.

Well when you see how high the threshold can be to be eligible for council housing then you really do have to wonder if there is anybody out there who badly needs a council house

I would say that the numbers are very few and far between, however I'm sure that there are plenty like the OP who are eligible and therefore expand the "list" way beyond what it should be

I'm still in shock

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

The OP might want to look at the small print on his tenancy agreement. Would the council allow you to continue to receive a housing subsidy if they found out you owned your own house? I suppose anythings possible in this country.

Mr. 2 wrote: »
    The OP might want to look at the small print on his tenancy agreement. Would the council allow you to continue to receive a housing subsidy if they found out you owned your own house? I suppose anythings possible in this country.

"Alternative accommodation:

You will be regarded as having alternative accommodation if a member of the household has property that the household could reasonably be expected to live in. This includes property that is being rented out – (under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 you can terminate the tenancy if the household needs the property to live in.)"

Taken from: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/applying_for_local_authority_housing.html

So if the OP decides to buy his own house then he will be expected to live in that house and not the council house anymore. Tough break OP, no handy holiday home for you. :)

"Alternative accommodation:

You will be regarded as having alternative accommodation if a member of the household has property that the household could reasonably be expected to live in. This includes property that is being rented out – (under the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 you can terminate the tenancy if the household needs the property to live in.)"

Taken from: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/applying_for_local_authority_housing.html

So if the OP decides to buy his own house then he will be expected to live in that house and not the council house anymore. Tough break OP, no handy holiday home for you. :)

Ah well il buy a caravan
    Also if needed im sure theres ways around it

Ah well il buy a caravan
    Also if needed im sure theres ways around it

Or you could live under a bridge like a troll. ;)

Or you could live under a bridge like a troll. ;)

anything is possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 blackwolf

You should just buy your own house first as i think im not sure you dont even need a deposit you would be only paying 500 a month for your mortgage....

Dont know how it works in buying a council house but at least you would own something and in the future try and buy your holiday home.....

Dont see why everyone is getting upset about at this stage in Ireland look out for no. 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Again, you are missing the point. I was not criticising the OP for what he is doing - he is just milking the system and it is the system that is seriously wrong. I was just pointing out to him that why should he be surprised when people react. Fact is, if the system allows someone to receive state subsidy for housing and state subsidy for care of his child and he then has money left over to buy a holiday home, well then the system is badly flawed and the taxpayer is fleeced.

I have to get care for my children but nobody is subsidising it for me. My wife had to give up work because of our situation. I just worked doubly hard to pay the bills. We are not getting a holdiay this year, we are not able to put a deposit down on a holiday home but we don't expect the state to pick up the tab. Big difference, real world.

It is unbelievable that someone in council housing can afford a holiday home. In fact, it is more than unbelievable, it is outrageous when there are ordinary hard-working families out there who are struggling from day to day (whether they live in council houses or not) to pay the ordinary bills of ESB, Bord Gais, Eircom and mortgage.

Advertisement