Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing "first-time buyer" status

• 29-03-2015 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm a little unsure of the implications of losing the first time buyers' status with the new rules.
    If, for example, I pay €20k as 10% deposit for a €200k house, and in 5 years want to buy a €300k house, I'd no longer be a first time buyer so would need 20% deposit. Let's say I'd paid €10k per year as mortgage repayments to the bank, could this €50k (after 5 years) be viewed as equity/a deposit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭Villa05

Not really, the first 5 years is mainly interest payments with very little coming off the actual capital loan. You are effectively paying rent for the money you borrowed in those first few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Ipro

Sorry for hijacking the thread but could anyone advise me on the following.

If I buy my first property as a NPPR investment property would I be still entitled to first time buyers status when buying my next property if that property were to be purchased as my first and princable residence ?

The first property was bought as an investment with cash and is rented out (I never lived in this property)

I know usually people but their own house first before buying an investment property but I was just in a situation where it worked out better for me to buy an investment property at first.

So am I entitled to first time buyers relief when it comes to buying my own place ? Would I be exempt from the VAT on a new build ? Would I be entitled to a FTB mortgage etc ? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Ipro wrote: »
    Sorry for hijacking the thread but could anyone advise me on the following.

If I buy my first property as a NPPR investment property would I be still entitled to first time buyers status when buying my next property if that property were to be purchased as my first and princable residence ?

The first property was bought as an investment with cash and is rented out (I never lived in this property)

I know usually people but their own house first before buying an investment property but I was just in a situation where it worked out better for me to buy an investment property at first.

So am I entitled to first time buyers relief when it comes to buying my own place ? Would I be exempt from the VAT on a new build ? Would I be entitled to a FTB mortgage etc ? Thanks.

I'm afraid not. You will not be a ftb after you purchase the investment property

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Ipro

Fol20 wrote: »
    I'm afraid not. You will not be a ftb after you purchase the investment property

I suspected just as much but said I'd ask just in case, would have been a nice little surprise.
    Thanks for your reply 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ipro wrote: »
    I think the only thing you would be entitled to is the different rules for a FTB mortgage, the reliefs are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

araic88 wrote: »
    I'm a little unsure of the implications of losing the first time buyers' status with the new rules.
    If, for example, I pay €20k as 10% deposit for a €200k house, and in 5 years want to buy a €300k house, I'd no longer be a first time buyer so would need 20% deposit. Let's say I'd paid €10k per year as mortgage repayments to the bank, could this €50k (after 5 years) be viewed as equity/a deposit?

At roughly those numbers, you'd have the initial 20k and about another 15-20k in repayment as equity (depending on interest/term of mortgage). You're looking at year ten before you've got the 20% deposit for a 300k house (not including any other savings and assuming no rise in house price).

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Thanks for the replies. One more question!
    If I were to buy a house myself now as a first time buyer & in 5 years time wanted to sell and get a joint mortgage with a partner who was still a first time buyer, would we be counted as one application & as 'second time' buyers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

araic88 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. One more question!
    If I were to buy a house myself now as a first time buyer & in 5 years time wanted to sell and get a joint mortgage with a partner who was still a first time buyer, would we be counted as one application & as 'second time' buyers?

Yes.

Advertisement