Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving property without telling landlady

Options
  • 24-04-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, just looking for some legal advice about what can be done to myself and family if we leave without telling the landlady!

We moved into a house 14 months ago on a year long lease contract, it was set up by an agent and we passed on on PPS numbers and signed the contract for a year and agreed to pay into a bank account! After first month was paid into her account the landlady came around asking us to pay her into the hand as she couldn't withdrawn money from her account (stupid excuse by her but we went along with it anyway). So for 13 months we have paid her into the hand with no exchange of receipts or proof that rent was being paid.

Anyway, last month she entered our property at 9am without permission and proceeded to move some dog cage thing over our back wall from a neighbors house and knocked on our back door asking us to take our dog in and move our cars out of the front garden so she and 3 men could get this dog cage into a huge truck. Needless to say i was not happy about this intrusion upon my young family and pregnant partner. It has been like this ever since we moved in. Her daughter lives 2 doors down from us and the landlady seems to be living between her daughters house and the neighbors house at the back of us. We see her every week and her calling into us without calling first is a regular occurrence!

So we told her last month we'd pay her a double months rent on the 1st of May and she agreed to it, we found a new place to live and have just moved in. We've no intention of paying her a double months rent or telling her we have moved. I've cleaned up the house as best i could but there is some wear and tear to the property, nothing to crazy! She has our security deposit if anything needs to be fixed!

All i really need to know is can she track us down using our PPS numbers and can she take legal action against us? Again the lease contract is up by 2 months and no proof of rent exists for the time we lived there! Any advice would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Cash in hand? Entering property without permission? No paper trail?

Let her swing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

^^^^^
    agree with above

regarding your pps no she cant track you under the data protection act no one can supply her with information about you regardless of who they are and especially not a Landlady

morally you havent done the right thing and depending on your lease she may or may not have a case for the remainder of her rent but realistically have you ever heard it reported on the news that a tenant who walked out was pursued by the LL for the remainder of the rent NO we only see this sort of thing on Judge Judy

its is bad form of her not giving notice to enter property regardless of how close she is im surprised that with her so close she didnt see you moving out :)

best of luck with the new place and hope it all works out last thing you or your OH need with a baba on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Albundy30

Thank you for the response. Yes i agree it's very bad form leaving without notice, i've been renting for 11 years and have never left in this manner. I just never had such a horrible landlady before. It's not even about saving some money by not paying her, it's about stiffing her on the rent just cause she is a horror of a woman and i really did not want to be dealing with her for the remainder of our time there. If she was dropping in every second week when nothing was going on i could only imagine how often she'd be calling in when we're moving out!

Oh we moved out 'ninja' style ha. Packed up everything on the friday with curtains closed and then 8am saturday morning myself and 2 friends with 2 vans loaded everything up within 20mins :) Spent all day saturday cleaning the house and making sure everything was as it was when we moved in.

Ok well thanks for the advice, i can rest a little easier now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Just to be clear, my advise was based on the fact she is clearly tax dodging and had no right to enter the property without permission.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but in this instance your wrong is less wrong than her wrong: she is stiffing me as a taxpayer and acted totally unprofessionally, illegally and with gross disrespect by entering your property and not providing receipts for rent. I am happy to see such a person stiffed, even if I would never usually endorse tenants taking the piss with leases and deposits and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

another sad tale from amateur landlord Ireland.

why do we tolerate it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Just to be clear, my advise was based on the fact she is clearly tax dodging and had no right to enter the property without permission.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but in this instance your wrong is less wrong than her wrong: she is stiffing me as a taxpayer and acted totally unprofessionally, illegally and with gross disrespect by entering your property and not providing receipts for rent. I am happy to see such a person stiffed, even if I would never usually endorse tenants taking the piss with leases and deposits and whatnot.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How are you going to claim your tax credits?

You should have given about 36(?) days notice, based on you being there for 14 months
    Albundy30 wrote: »
    Her daughter lives 2 doors down from us
    Oh we moved out 'ninja' style ha. Packed up everything on the friday with curtains closed and then 8am saturday morning myself and 2 friends with 2 vans loaded everything up within 20mins :)
    Hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Spent all day saturday cleaning the house and making sure everything was as it was when we moved in.
    Go back, and take photos off it, one with a current newspaper in it, to show that it was taken that day. Just in case it the landlady tries to claim you left it in an untidy state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Victor wrote: »
    How are you going to claim your tax credits?

Not sure what your issue is with tax credits? You don't need your landlord's co-operation/permission to claim tax credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not sure what your issue is with tax credits? You don't need your landlord's co-operation/permission to claim tax credits?

You don't need co operation but you do need proof. If the op has paid everything cash in hand and has no rent book how do they prove they paid rent at all?

People are really quick to moan about the third rate landlords we've got too many of in is country but don't bother to do anything about them unless it effects them ... People don't seem to care if the ll reg with the prtb unless it's something they can use against or look for BER reporters for the same reason. Why would you agree to cash in hand and no rent book is beyond me...what if you do want to claim tax credits or need to claim rent allowance in the next 6 months? It's because people let these cowboy landlord carry on in this manner that they keep doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

ztoical wrote: »
    You don't need co operation but you do need proof. If the op has paid everything cash in hand and has no rent book how do they prove they paid rent at all?

People are really quick to moan about the third rate landlords we've got too many of in is country but don't bother to do anything about them unless it effects them ... People don't seem to care if the ll reg with the prtb unless it's something they can use against or look for BER reporters for the same reason. Why would you agree to cash in hand and no rent book is beyond me...what if you do want to claim tax credits or need to claim rent allowance in the next 6 months? It's because people let these cowboy landlord carry on in this manner that they keep doing it

that's what I'm thinking.
    sure, the landlady was unprofessional in asking for the rent in cash, but why would you agree to this?
    you position yourself in unprofessionality as well in agreeing to it. I would NEVER pay my rent in cash, is there any good reason why you did it, I can't imagine one...

and sorry to say, your description about your moving out story is very weird as well, I honestly ask myself here who is more dodgy, you or the landlady...

Advertisement