Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't sign a lease

Options
  • 22-04-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Hi leased an apartment in August, the Agency dropped a lease over but never collected it. It is still sitting in our book case unsigned. Do I have to abide by the terms of the lease as I didn't sign it? We are thinking on moving out in the next moth, we will give 30 days notice etc but the lease was for a year. what is my situation in terms of getting deposit back? Have a receipt for the deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Hi leased an apartment in August, the Agency dropped a lease over but never collected it. It is still sitting in our book case unsigned. Do I have to abide by the terms of the lease as I didn't sign it? We are thinking on moving out in the next moth, we will give 30 days notice etc but the lease was for a year. what is my situation in terms of getting deposit back? Have a receipt for the deposit.

If you didn't sign it, or anything like it then you're not bound by it - may I ask, why didn't you sign it?

You're LL won't be happy so you could anticipate trouble with the deposit...oh this is a hairy one...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

If you didn't sign it, or anything like it then you're not bound by it - may I ask, why didn't you sign it?

You're LL won't be happy so you could anticipate trouble with the deposit...oh this is a hairy one...:confused:

To tell you the truth we didn't do it intentionally, the Agency dropped the lease over the day we moved in told us he would be back to collect it the next day, we haven't seen him since. Chased him at the start to arrange to come and collect it but he could never agree a suitable time. We only really communicate via email or phone now. He then sends over a repair man etc for any fixings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Chances are they may try to withhold the deposit if you move out early, you could counter this by not paid the rent for the final thirty days and telling them to use the deposit for that instead of paying it back.

I'm curious though could it be argued that by moving in and paying rent you effectively accepted the terms of the lease?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Gillo wrote: »

I'm curious though could it be argued that by moving in and paying rent you effectively accepted the terms of the lease?

Yes, it can be argued. In that situation, the landlord can take a case for breach of contract, should the OP just up and leave.

Paulw wrote: »
    Yes, it can be argued. In that situation, the landlord can take a case for breach of contract, should the OP just up and leave.

So the contract is considered to be agreed even though I didn't sign and the contract wasn't collected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

A case could be made that you agreed to it, as you paid rent for several month and had a copy of the contract. But I am not sure it would hold up in court if it came to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Acceptance of the lease from the agent, may be enough to show you agreed to the contract, regardless of you signing it or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

So the contract is considered to be agreed even though I didn't sign and the contract wasn't collected?

Yes. Because you stayed and paid rent, it's considered that the contract is completed, even if you haven't signed the piece of paper.

For your situation, you better check all clauses in the contract, and any break in the contract must be as per the terms of the contract. Otherwise, you have opened yourself up to possible action.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You verbally agreed and they can prove this because you paid rent and moved in.
    The signing of the lease means very little !!

You verbally agreed and they can prove this because you paid rent and moved in.
    The signing of the lease means very little !!
    verbally agreed to move in but surely as no contract was signed I can give 30 days notice within the 1st year etc etc? No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

verbally agreed to move in but surely as no contract was signed I can give 30 days notice within the 1st year etc etc? No?

Maybe you can get away with that but i know of a case that went to court and the judge agreed that there was a verbal agreement. It would probably depend on the owner of the property on how far he wanted to push it.

Hope this helps
    http://www.spunout.ie/health/Accommodation/Renting/Renting-and-the-law

Advertisement