Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help setting up pole rig

• 13-06-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    I’m hoping ye can help me
    I bought a simile fishing rod for my 9 year old . Chose a cheap one in argos with no reel to get him started as I wanted to help it simple
    Problem is the pole is set up but the “rig” isn’t and there are no instructions
    I’m sure it’s fairly simple but I am clueless :D

I’ve attached a photo of the bits and bobs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

There is a metal loop at the end of the pole too
    I assume I am knotting the line around this ?
    No idea how to set up the other bits.
    Would really appreciate some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 BackInTown

km79 wrote: »
    There is a metal loop at the end of the pole too
    I assume I am knotting the line around this ?
    No idea how to set up the other bits.
    Would really appreciate some help

It’s hard to see from the picture but if the product is reasonable then everything on the green reel just gets tied onto the loop on the end of the pole. It should be a hook, weights and float above that and finally a loop that you attach to the pole. The weights and float should already be balanced. Then you slide the float up or down depending on the depth you are fishing.

Thanks

I’ve uploaded 2 more photos
    I think the little grey balls may be weights alright
    One of them is damaged though

No idea what the red thing is for . It looks like line could be threaded through on alternate sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 BackInTown

Thanks

I’ve uploaded 2 more photos
    I think the little grey balls may be weights alright
    One of them is damaged though

No idea what the red thing is for . It looks like line could be threaded through on alternate sides

The red thing is for taking hooks out of mouths of fish. It’s called a disgorger. Sounds like you could benefit from an introduction to coarse fishing book. Would clarify lots for you!

BackInTown wrote: »
    The red thing is for taking hooks out of mouths of fish. It’s called a disgorger. Sounds like you could benefit from an introduction to coarse fishing book. Would clarify lots for you!

Oh right :D

It’s all more or less set up so
    Thanks for that

I doubt we will be catching any fish anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Terrific

Keep us posted, fairly simple set up and once its attached you can leave it that way and just rewind it back onto the winder and put an elastic band around it to hold it together.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest suing a blood knot to tie the line to the hook on the pole, link here has an easy diagram. https://fishing.boyslife.org/8-fishing-knots-to-know/

Give us a shout if you need any more

Terrific

Keep us posted, fairly simple set up and once its attached you can leave it that way and just rewind it back onto the winder and put an elastic band around it to hold it together.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest suing a blood knot to tie the line to the hook on the pole, link here has an easy diagram. https://fishing.boyslife.org/8-fishing-knots-to-know/

Give us a shout if you need any more

Thanks
    I’ve It all laid out now and it is as you describe alright

Do I need to wait till I go the river to tie the knot though ? So that I know how much like to leave between end of pole and the water ? Or will it but matter Cos the float and excess line will just float in the water anyways ?

Also some plastic maggots and sweetcorn bait came with it . I assume they are useless. They will have to do for tomorrow though Unless I can use something home made

The river may contain trout . And pike
    If he catches a pike we can forget about it Cos the line is really thin : D

Thanks
    I’ve It all laid out now and it is as you describe alright

Do I need to wait till I go the river to tie the knot though ? So that I know how much like to leave between end of pole and the water ? Or will it but matter Cos the float and excess line will just float in the water anyways ?

Also some plastic maggots and sweetcorn bait came with it . I assume they are useless. They will have to do for tomorrow though Unless I can use something home made

The river may contain trout . And pike
    If he catches a pike we can forget about it Cos the line is really thin : D

I'd attach it now, no harm. If I'm running pole rigs I would have different lengths on different rigs prepared but for your fella on his first trip I'd just flick it out and let the line float.

Artificial maggot can work but you'll be safe from the Pike :)

If you have any honey tip a bit into a pot and taken it with you. Artificial maggot dipped in honey are very attractive to roach and I'd say would make his day if you caught something.

Have a look under patio stones, good chance of a worm or two, loaf of bread and pinch a small but around the hook, all worth a go

I'd attach it now, no harm. If I'm running pole rigs I would have different lengths on different rigs prepared but for your fella on his first trip I'd just flick it out and let the line float.

Artificial maggot can work but you'll be safe from the Pike :)

If you have any honey tip a bit into a pot and taken it with you. Artificial maggot dipped in honey are very attractive to roach and I'd say would make his day if you caught something.

Have a look under patio stones, good chance of a worm or two, loaf of bread and pinch a small but around the hook, all worth a go

Thanks every much
    It’s nearly 30 years since I went fishing so I was afraid to ask about using works in case that was frowned upon these days :D

Update
    Went for 3 hours today with the young lad
    Hugely enjoyable even if we got nowhere near even a bite

First rig got caught in a tree after an hour :D

Second one had come with the weight broken and it would not go back on and subsequently got lost . So we spent a while watching that just float along the surface

Going to ask around now for sweet spots along the river
    And order some more rigs on amazon if they have them

Thanks for all the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

You would be better off going to a small pond or a canal with the equipment you’re using and your level of experience. Much more beginner friendly.

Update
    Went for 3 hours today with the young lad
    Hugely enjoyable even if we got nowhere near even a bite

First rig got caught in a tree after an hour :D

Second one had come with the weight broken and it would not go back on and subsequently got lost . So we spent a while watching that just float along the surface

Going to ask around now for sweet spots along the river
    And order some more rigs on amazon if they have them

Thanks for all the help

Precious times :)

Out of interest, what river are you fishing - roughly what area as could be people on here can point you to a better location.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

My boys started out with that pole. The line supplied was way too long. Id definitely recommend finding your local angling shop, most of them will have local info and tips.

Its a great way to spend times with kids. And you'll move onto rods etc as they grow with it. Also plenty of info on fishing irelands website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Hi Km, where are you located?
    If you're around Dublin, pop into Southside Angling. The lads in there are absolute gents and will set you up with a few bits and pieces that'll really help you out!
    Get to a local tackle shop and pick up a half pint of maggots, a small container of split shot, a plummet (so you can plumb the depth accurately) and some hooks to nylon (pre-tied hook lengths). Some size 14 and 16 barbless would be great! The bonus of them being barbless is that they're far easier to remove and cause less damage.

Check out youtube for coarse fishing videos, there's a wealth of knowledge there!

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Hi Km, where are you located?
    If you're around Dublin, pop into Southside Angling. The lads in there are absolute gents and will set you up with a few bits and pieces that'll really help you out!
    Get to a local tackle shop and pick up a half pint of maggots, a small container of split shot, a plummet (so you can plumb the depth accurately) and some hooks to nylon (pre-tied hook lengths). Some size 14 and 16 barbless would be great! The bonus of them being barbless is that they're far easier to remove and cause less damage.

Check out youtube for coarse fishing videos, there's a wealth of knowledge there!

Thanks for that . I am in south mayo ! I am going to the nearest angling shop next week. I have to say I really enjoyed the few hours the last day. I am thinking of getting myself a proper rod now too

Bit the bullet
    Got a proper rod and reel for him
    Got some hooks , lead and maggots too
    Didn’t bother with a liar as he said I don’t really need one (my dad has some if I do)
    He also said I may not even need the lead

He confirmed there are plenty of trout in the local rivers too
    Can’t wait to go mid week now

Advertisement