Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will any sportives go ahead in 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I see Blarney have pulled the three events they were meant to be running. Also three events in the north were also pulled yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

getting stick locally.
    I think this could be an issue. I had a comments from someone yesterday about them seeing "cyclists" not socially distancing yesterday. It was a club race. And we were both there to collect our children from not socially distanced football training... Hadn't occurred to them that sports being back meant cycling too. Or perhaps that cycling was a sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Some news on the Mike Murphy Memorial sportif planned for 29 August and starting in Caherciveen:
    https://www.facebook.com/1563601707293263/posts/2740806999572722?sfns=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Thanks for the mention Mercian Pro. We a are trying to gauge interest to see if the effort will be worthwhile. We feel it can be done safely but its gonna be a lot of work.

The Wicklow Mountain Cycling Challenge are advertising a 100 and a 50km charity sportif on 3 October. Can't see what the small print says about a refund of the €50 if it ends up being cancelled. Details at https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=864942083995487&id=202930010196701

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nicolas Roche is seemingly doing his cycle again this year and bringing his dad and Sean Kelly along .

Saw something about it on twitter

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nicolas Roche is seemingly doing his cycle again this year and bringing his dad and Sean Kelly along .

Saw something about it on twitter

https://www.theprojectnr.com/

Sunday 4th October with full refund if cancelled. 65km and 105km routes.

I emailed the Great Dublin Bike Ride about this year's event.
    Looks like it was be "virtual", rather than an actual sportif.

Rather surprised to see the East Meath Tour listed on the CI calander for the 9th of August but, like quite a few others, it's also a virtual event https://eventmaster.ie/event/LLbSp3H76

The Reservoir Dog and the Great Dublin Bike Ride are still listed as are a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Res Dog was cancelled a good few weeks back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

koutoubia wrote: »
    Res Dog was cancelled a good few weeks back!
    I think the point MP was making is that it and others are still listed by CI despite being cancelled by the organisers..

Anyone know if the Wicklow Mountains Challenge is going ahead on 3 October. They are still pushing it on Facebook but there is no mention that I can find of their refund policy. Eventmaster are managing the booking so maybe their standard conditions apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Just got the official cancellation...

*sighs*

10th time around will have to wait for 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32904322

Spin for all the Blaa heads who are mad for road after the lockdown.

Just shy of a 300, the only way to get that is to make route even more climby in Knockmealdowns.

Haven't the legs or head for it now but maybe come August.

Slight digression into Cork near Araglin and the Gaza strip that is the Old Bridge in Clonmel

From what I hear 6 or 7 hardy lads having a go of this tomorrow.

All the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

From what I hear 6 or 7 hardy lads having a go of this tomorrow.

All the best!
    Looks like they got around in 10h29.

Lap the Lough cancelled for this year. 2 remaining events on my calendar - Grass Routes Gran Fondo and the Lakelander. Took the refund from the Dirty Reiver as well, as hard to see things improved that much by next April (particularly in the UK) for me to be prepared to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Marmotte is going ahead in September if anyone fancies rolling the dice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Wicklow Mountains Challenge going ahead apparently - October 3rd.

Not the hardest 100K you'll do in the hills but a decent setup at Russborough House for the start/finish, similar to the Dog. Hopefully not abandoned for this year's event.

Just got an email to say that the Great Dublin Bike Ride is going ahead on September 27th as a virtual event.
    Anyone know if any of the virtual sportive have actually succeeded in raising much money for the charities involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just got an email to say that the Great Dublin Bike Ride is going ahead on September 27th as a virtual event.

seriously whats the point, i cant think of anything more soul destroying (i do turbo sessions in the winter but i hate them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

seriously whats the point, i cant think of anything more soul destroying (i do turbo sessions in the winter but i hate them).

You don't have to do it on your turbo.
    You sign up and cycle the stipulated distance on a route chosen by you on the date or do it on the turbo.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

fat bloke wrote: »
    Marmotte is going ahead in September if anyone fancies rolling the dice!

You'd need to take 2 weeks off to isolate after though at oresent

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Wicklow Mountains Challenge going ahead apparently - October 3rd.

Not the hardest 100K you'll do in the hills but a decent setup at Russborough House for the start/finish, similar to the Dog. Hopefully not abandoned for this year's event.
    They'd need to lift the 200 limit for outdoors realistically for any to go ahead? I'd say this is what did for Lap the Lough anyway, even with it being set off in groups.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They'd need to lift the 200 limit for outdoors realistically for any to go ahead? I'd say this is what did for Lap the Lough anyway, even with it being set off in groups.

Setting off in groups isn't an issue and can be managed but what can't be accounted for is the finish. People hang around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'd need to take 2 weeks off to isolate after though at oresent

Perfect! You'd need two weeks to recover from it anyway! :D

Quite surprised to see that they are allowing registration on the day (at €65!). Hard to see how they can keep control of the numbers doing this.

Quite surprised to see that they are allowing registration on the day (at €65!). Hard to see how they can keep control of the numbers doing this.
    Is it a CI sanctioned event? That's very surprising, given you have to control numbers on a club spin and (effectively) pre-register.

Is it a CI sanctioned event? That's very surprising, given you have to control numbers on a club spin and (effectively) pre-register.

They are quoting a reduced €50 rate for CI members and it's on the CI Calendar so I presume it's sanctioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The tour of beara (rebel tour) has been cancelled for this year, :(.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

In fairness with the way the numbers are going and latest restrictions I think its the right thing to do. I can't see any happening this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Seen that, offering refunds too but the more I read into it, sounds like a complete cowboy job of which they never intended to go ahead with this year.

Cancelled hotel too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hard to say that about any event thats being cancelled right now. Gov have made it impossible.
    Despite race organisers showing and proving they can run safe events with no cases and doing everything that was asked the response is to limit sporting events outside to a max of 15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RobFowl wrote: »
    Hard to say that about any event thats being cancelled right now. Gov have made it impossible.
    Despite race organisers showing and proving they can run safe events with no cases and doing everything that was asked the response is to limit sporting events outside to a max of 15.

I could be wrong but the limit is 15 for training, not sure anyone will run events but as far as I can read they are not restricted, just no spectators or anyone who isn't actively necessary in the running of the event.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I could be wrong but the limit is 15 for training, not sure anyone will run events but as far as I can read they are not restricted, just no spectators or anyone who isn't actively necessary in the running of the event.

Not quite sure how you can limit spectators for an open race on open roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can't, you would rely on good will. Encourage anyone, from cycling, d1ckish enough who comes along to move on from the finish line etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It isn't like there is many at a normal open race anyway. You'll get a few at the line but that's it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

From the government website:

"sports events and matches are to revert to behind-closed-doors with no spectators allowed. There should also be strict avoidance of social gatherings before and after games or fixtures"

So they can continue but no spectators.

From here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6899e-new-public-health-measures-announced-until-13-september/

I hope organisers of cycling events remain calm & work with communities in order to keep events going.

Hopefully CI issue guidance tomorrow that will ease concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

eeeee wrote: »

"sports events and matches are to revert to behind-closed-doors with no spectators allowed. There should also be strict avoidance of social gatherings before and after games or fixtures"

From here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6899e-new-public-health-measures-announced-until-13-september/

This is exactly what I've seen done anyway at races (I don't count people watching passing cyclists from their gardens as spectators)

Sort of like it too... in->race->out

Seen that, offering refunds too

Have they offered refunds? The Facebook page just mentions that all participants will be automatically registered for next year's event. Odd too that they are encouraging people to show up and ride the route on the day even though it's been cancelled.

I presume there will be quite a few more sportives cancelled following yesterday's announcement.

• Advertisement

It maybe a stretch that sportives fall into the same category as races? I guess it'll come down to the advice issued.

I've two left on my calendar, outside of the current window, but the message was fairly clear to limit social interactions, so really not sure whether I'll go ahead even if the events do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Have they offered refunds? The Facebook page just mentions that all participants will be automatically registered for next year's event. Odd too that they are encouraging people to show up and ride the route on the day even though it's been cancelled. .

Yep took a while but they updated their website but refunds wont be issued till October. The encouraging people to still cycle on the day I thought was very odd. Seemed like their still expecting people to cycle it.

https://tourdebeara.ie/event-cancelled/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

eeeee wrote: »

That was certainly my initial understanding, but this quote is pertinent:

"limits of 15 apply to groups outside including training sessions (with exception of elite/professional sports and horseracing). There should be no mixing between groups"

That suggests the only exceptions are elite/professional sports (which I would have classified as a professional sport anyway)

I think we are still awaiting direction from CI, but I had initially though the Sundrive track league could continue but I'm not sure now (as we are neither "Elite" nor "Professional")

The answer could be prize money:pac:

In fairness to CI, I'd expect they're awaiting guidance via Sport Ireland. But I took that Elite/ Professional Sport too. The rest of sport buried under the GAA expecting special treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Beasty wrote: »
    That was certainly my initial understanding, but this quote is pertinent:

"limits of 15 apply to groups outside including training sessions (with exception of elite/professional sports and horseracing). There should be no mixing between groups"

That suggests the only exceptions are elite/professional sports (which I would have classified as a professional sport anyway)

I think we are still awaiting direction from CI, but I had initially though the Sundrive track league could continue but I'm not sure now (as we are neither "Elite" nor "Professional")

The answer could be prize money:pac:

You need a minimum of 30 for a gaa match to happen. The GAA will ensure they won't stop

It looks like cycling will be given no consideration or exemption. These current restrictions could end the season for alot of organisers, very hard to plan beyond September now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In fairness to CI, I'd expect they're awaiting guidance via Sport Ireland. But I took that Elite/ Professional Sport too. The rest of sport buried under the GAA expecting special treatment.

There's due to be racing at Sundrive in just over 4 hours. Of course that's weather-dependent and it's looking pretty ropey at present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You need a minimum of 30 for a gaa match to happen. The GAA will ensure they won't stop

More than that, if you include subs, referee, linesmen, umpires(is that the correct term for the lads, who call goal, point or wide?), etc.

Guidelines state max of 40 per club. This includes players, management, medical and club officials.

GAA have also asked that one adult per underage player be allowed attend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement