Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello again, yes this week sees that Rhys Thomas Kemp MockDoc appear on BBC2 (even though it was commissioned by BBC4). Huey Morgan's Latin thing starts on BBC4 while Sky Arts has a load of old Isle Of Wight stuff again, but not the Joni Mitchell one which lands on TG4 ...

Thursday
    9pm Glor Tire (TG4)
    Music from John Hogan and Ronan Quigley

9.30pm Doolin Folk Festival (TG4)
    S1 Ep1 Coverage of the event in its fifth year, featuring Luka Bloom, Susan O'Neill, Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh, Martin Hayes, Steve Cooney and the Paul Brady

10.15pm Who Do You Think You Are? – Boy George (RTE1)
    Boy George (O’Dowd) traces his history, which includes a link to Kevin Barry and other Irish people.

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Fiddle player Colm Mac Con Iomaire founding member of both Kíla and the Frames, plays an array of heart-wrenching tunes from his solo records, joined by pianist Catherine Fitzgerald and singer Síobhra Quinlan

Friday
    7pm Queen Hungarian Rhapsody - Live In Budapest (Sky Arts)

7pm Opera Italia (BBC4)

7.30pm Se Mo Laoch – Sarah Griallais (TG4)

8pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – November 16 (BBC4)
    Simon Mayo presents the pop chart programme, first broadcast on16 November 1989 and featuring performances by 808 State, Lisa Stansfield, Inner City, UB40, Kaoma, Iron Maiden and Phil Collins

8.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – November 23 (BBC4)
    Jackie Brambles and Jenny Powell present the edition first broadcast on 23 November 1989, featuring performances by Big Fun, Fine Young Cannibals, the Stone Roses, Bobby Brown, Jeff Wayne and Happy Mondays with Kirsty MacColl

9pm TOTP2 Latin Music(BBC4)
    A selection of memorable Top of the Pops performances from some of the biggest names in Latin music, including Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, Shakira, Santana, Gloria Estefan and Lou Bega. Probabiliter quia in Huey's in novum spectaculum est cum eo, as they say.

9pm Isle Of Wight – Kasabian 2018 (Sky Arts)

9.30pm & 1.55am Huey Morgan’s Latin Music Adventure (BBC4) New!
    The 6Music presenter embarks on a quest to understand Latin Music's enduring appeal. Arriving in Rio, Huey learns that Brazil's newly elected government has come out against the hedonistic atmosphere of carnival and that Mangueira Samba School group is just one of many planning a protest. Later, he meets Gilberto Gil, who pioneered a new, politically conscious sound known as Tropicália. It was so radical - and its social implications so profound - that Gil was imprisoned and finally exiled in 1969. In Salvador, Huey meets percussionist Carlinhos Brown to talk about how afro positive music has shaped the sound of Brazil

9.30pm Isle Of Wight – Stereophonics 2016 (Sky Arts)

10pm Isle Of Wight – Manic Street Preachers 2018 (Sky Arts)

10pm Lewis Capaldi Live (BBC1)
    From Liverpool. With an orchestra.

10.30pm Isle Of Wight – James 2019 (Sky Arts)

10.30pm & 2.55am Latin Music - A Session with Bossacucanova and Roberto Menescal (BBC4)
    Bossacucanova is a Brazilian musical group combining traditional Bossa Nova with electronica. Pio neer of bossa nova Roberto Menescal, joins the band - which co-comprises his son Márcio - in their Rio studio, for a re-interpreting of classic Bossa hits. With contributions by Mustafa Baba Aussa and Marcio Menescal. Partly in Portuguese with English subtitles

11pm Marc Bolan – Cosmic Dancer (BBC4)
    Intimate biography, narrated in the pop singer's own words, first shown to mark the 70th anniversary of his birth and the 40th of his death

11pm Bee Gees One Night Only (Sky Arts)

11.40pm Other Voices (RTE2)

1am Country Music By Ken Burns (BBC4)
    Ep 8 of 9 Music Will Get Through (1973-1983) The history of the American art form from the mid-1970s to the early 1980s. Though no longer heard on country radio, Bluegrass retained its strong core of avid fans. During the same period, Willie Nelson discovered a new music scene in Austin, Texas where hippies and rednecks seemed to get along. Ricky Skaggs had deep Bluegrass credentials, but his time with Emmylou Harris's Hot Band inspired him to experiment with a sound combining the acoustic instruments of a string band with something more electric. BBC Alba has Ep 1 of this series at 11pm, but it is dubbed into Scottish Gaelic with English Subtitles. I mean, if you were high it might be mind blowing…

1am Supertramp Live in Paris 79 (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    3pm Norah Jones At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)
    4.30pm Simply Red Live In Holland (Sky Arts)
    6.30pm Take That Greatest Hits Live (Sky Arts)

6.40pm How The Beatles Changed The World (Yesterday)
    Through exclusive interviews and a wealth of rarely seen footage, this film reveals the previously untold story of how four young men from Liverpool transformed the world forever

7.45pm Ed Sheeran - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9pm Beyonce – I am (Sky Arts)
    2010 gig

9pm Opry An Iuir le Daniel (TG4)

10.45pm-12.15am TOTP 80s Special (BBC2)
    Featuring music by Adam Ant, Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan, Bucks Fizz, Yazz, Duran Duran, Wham! and Culture Club

10.55pm Wu-Tang Clan – Of Mics And Men Eps 3&4 (Sky Documentaries)

11.15pm Isle Of Wight Festival – Jay-Z 2010 (Sky Arts)
    11.45pm Isle Of Wight Festival – Foo Fighters 2016 (Sky Arts)

11.50pm Doolin Folk Festival (TG4)
    As Thursday

12.15am Isle Of Wight Festival – Snow Patrol 2007 (Sky Arts)

12.10am Top Of The Pops 1989 – November 16 (BBC4)
    12.45am Top Of The Pops 1989 – November 23 (BBC4)

12.45am Isle Of Wight Festival – Kaiser Chiefs 2017 (Sky Arts)
    1.15am Isle Of Wight Festival – Liam Gallagher 2018 (Sky Arts)
    1.45am Isle Of Wight Festival – Groove Armada 2004 (Sky Arts)
    2.15am Isle Of Wight Festival – Rudimental 2014 (Sky Arts)
    2.45am Isle Of Wight Festival – Faithless 2005 (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    3pm Alicia Keys Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

5pm Festival No 6 (Sky Arts)
    Highlights of the music, arts and culture event held at Portmeirion in Gwynedd, featuring performances by Mogwai, the Flaming Lips and a special 50 Years of Sgt Pepper's tribute
    https://festivalnumber6.com/

6.30pm Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii 1972 (Sky Arts)

7.45pm Oasis Live At Barrowlands 2001 (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)
    Featuring Mary Black, Colm Willkinson, Sonny Knowles and Elvis Costello

9pm Billie Elish – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Meitheal na mBan (TG4)
    TV special led by Ireland's top female musicians and artists as they perform directly from their own homes, in a much-needed fundraiser to support the victims of domestic abuse

10pm The Kemps: All True (BBC2) New!
    Spoof documentary, starring Gary and Martin Kemp as themselves, following the brothers as they launch new careers in the wake of Spandau Ballet's 40th anniversary celebrations. While Martin tries to get a sci-fi movie franchise off the ground, Gary has a new brand of vegan meat substitute to promote

https://www.albiemedia.com/2020/01/news-kemps-all-true.html

10.15pm Isle Of Wight Festival –Amy Winehouse 2007 (Sky Arts)
    10.45pm Isle Of Wight Festival – George Ezra 2019 (Sky Arts)

10.50pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Performances by Micheál Ó hAlmhain, Meaití Jó Shéamais, Kevin Crawford and Seán Smyth

11.15pm Isle Of Wight Festival – Kings Of Leon 2014 (Sky Arts)

11.25pm Joni Mitchell Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970 – Both Sides Now (TG4)
    The singer-songwriter's performance at the festival, featuring Woodstock, Both Sides Now, A Case of You and Big Yellow Taxi

11.30pm TOTP Big Hits 1983 (BBC2)
    With Wham!, KC and the Sunshine Band, the Police, Culture Club, Siouxsie and the Banshees, UB40, Duran Duran, the Beat and Bananarama feature, alongside Elton John, Bonnie Tyler and Malcolm McLaren's Double Dutch

11.45pm Isle Of Wight Festival – Simple Minds 20019 (Sky Arts)
    12.15am Isle Of Wight Festival – The Specials 2014 (Sky Arts)
    12.45am Isle Of Wight Festival – Nile Rodgers And Chic 2018 (Sky Arts)

... so that's about that. Rarely seen as little music stuff on BBC4, the end would appear to be nigh alas. Maybe the long rumoured move of Sky Arts to Free To Air will happen sometime soon to make up for it

There is a Marc Bolan Doc up there, the Youtube bit from the archives this week is another Marc Bolan one from Channel 4 in 1997

That Will Ferrell Eurovision film is on Netflix now, good fun if you are into that
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53217853

And finally, Only Fools and Horses is on GOLD almost every minute of every day, if Bob Dylan did the theme tune it might sound a bit like this

• Registered Users Posts: 72,104 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Thanks as ever Skidoo :)

The Moptopsche documentary on YESTERDAY looks good...they should change the name of the channel just for Saturday to SCRAMBLED EGGS. ;) :cool:

Fine, suit yourselves.

And the Festival Number 6 highlights on Sky Arts - had to postpone one of my thrice-yearly stays in Portmeirion :o till September...so long as we keep the English out of Wales, the pandemic will soon pass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,586 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Thanks as ever Skidoo :)

The Moptopsche documentary on YESTERDAY looks good...they should change the name of the channel just for Saturday to SCRAMBLED EGGS. ;) :cool:

Fine, suit yourselves.

*applause*

Nay

*standing applause*

Alas, I think that's the one that was (is?) on Netflix, which wasn't great.

The Huey Morgan yokey looks excellent, though. Think I'll be having that.

Also, every time I see Ed Sheeran: Austin City Limits, it makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

Skid X wrote: »
    9.30pm & 1.55am Huey Morgan’s Latin Music Adventure (BBC4) New!
    .....Later, he meets Gilberto Gil, who pioneered a new, politically conscious sound known as Tropicália. It was so radical - and its social implications so profound - that Gil was imprisoned and finally exiled in 1969.

It hasn't be rescheduled/cancelled yet but I don't hold much hope of his show in The Olympia in October going ahead this year.

TUPPYPUPPY!

howold.jpeg

• Advertisement

Which version of UB40 is this?

The lame one or the really lame one? :D

Was that girl wearing a cock nose? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Jimmy and his adidas trackie pants.

The dancing baked bean :D

French song followed by a Spanish song

What's going on there?

Europe rabble rabble, next thing they'll be telling me the Beatles had to release songs in German

Ooh, hang on ...

• Advertisement

Brexiteer Simon Mayo’s opinions still valid in 2020 :pac:

The last sighting of the keytar in the 80’s, surely?

“Radio One FM, coming soon to East Anglia!”

tenor.gif?itemid=4926947

• Registered Users Posts: 19,586 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Totally having that Huey Morgan yoke in a while. Yessir, I am.

Every mention of BBC Radio 1 FM pains me, as I was all over BBC Radio 1 Medium Wave. (Couldnt get an FM reception except in freak atmospheric conditions)**

Shortly after this period they would close down on MW after Midnight every night just to spite me

Then they pulled the plug completely and were replaced by Talk Radio, later Talk Sport.

** Also, 'freak atmospheric conditions' would be a band I might go to see at a festival just on the strength of their name.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Totally having that Huey Morgan yoke in a while. Yessir, I am.
    I have the infected to deal with. Those clickers scare me so they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Next might be the show where the 90s began, but the 90s where already there by the looks of it

Next might be the show where the 90s began, but the 90s where already there by the looks of it
    BTW Arthur, do you hear from Terry much these days? ;)

And on the 6th. Day, God created Madchester!

DistortedElderlyConey-small.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    BTW Arthur, do you hear from Terry much these days? ;)

I should coco

• Advertisement

Jenny Powell, though.

HorribleBareIndianpalmsquirrel-max-1mb.gif

808 State might have worked better as the Madchester opener than Big Fun, they were one week early.

Nice dance routines, Big Fun.

tenor.gif?ctx=share

Roland Gift.

tenor.gif?itemid=14634190

AMATEURS!!

Shaun William Ryder!

I think this is the best collaboration Kirsty MacColl ever did. Ahem.

“They’re called Happy Monday.”

Really, Jenny?

Kirsty battling Aaron Neville for the double denim stakes.

200.gif

• Advertisement

Linda thinking "don't stare at the wart over his eye, don't stare at the wart over his eye" etc

Advertisement