Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bank Sale

Options
  • 03-07-2020 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi

Wondering what's the situation with a mortgage on a house that's been repossessed and is being sold by a bank

Can you buy one with a mortgage?

House is in good condition, built in 2005, needs a bit of work inside but nothing massively expensive

Proprety is going for €170,000 and own my own propery outright is worth approx €190,000

Have mortgage approval, what are the chances of the bank giving the ok on the property?Thought I read before banks don't give mortgages on repossessed propery, it's being sold by an estate agent, on the property sites if that makes it different

Only other option I can see are for a bridging loan of some sort and sell/rent out my own as collateral, but not many places doing those loans.

Anyone done something similar before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I've been through this recently and had no issue or questions around the mortgage.

What I would ask the EA is if the bank has gained full authority to sell the property or if they're still in a negotiations with their client. If that is still up in the air you could be facing significant delays in getting keys as the bank wrestle with the current owner to sell it.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

I've been through this recently and had no issue or questions around the mortgage.

What I would ask the EA is if the bank has gained full authority to sell the property or if they're still in a negotiations with their client.

Good luck!

Nice, that's great to hear re mortgage, really didn't fancy organising bridge loan, using collateral and all that

Thank you for that advice, i'll ask that

. If that is still up in the air you could be facing significant delays in getting keys as the bank wrestle with the current owner to sell it.

Good luck!

Yes that would be my fear, though it doesn't bother me too much as happy enough to stay in current house for a year or 2 if it came to that.

No one is living in house at the moment and was left in a bit of a mess with radiators taken out etc, not sure what happened there, probably boiler gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Yes that would be my fear, though it doesn't bother me too much as happy enough to stay in current house for a year or 2 if it came to that.

No one is living in house at the moment and was left in a bit of a mess with radiators taken out etc, not sure what happened there, probably boiler gone too.

That’ll be the bank’s issue then. For a normal residential property mortgage, they will want “good marketable title” (legal concept) and a habitable house or one where you have the funds and commit to make it hanitable. Otherwise it becomes a bit non-standard for them. They can be financed but might take a bit more pushing.

Marcusm wrote: »
    That’ll be the bank’s issue then. For a normal residential property mortgage, they will want “good marketable title” (legal concept) and a habitable house or one where you have the funds and commit to make it hanitable. Otherwise it becomes a bit non-standard for them. They can be financed but might take a bit more pushing.

Thanks for the info, appreciated

Structurally it appears sound, modern house with double glassed windows, roof like new etc, would need engineer to check of course

Interior needs some cosmetic work alright, but big stuff is there, tiled floors, kitchen unit's, built in wardrobes, bathrooms done, it's not a shell

I would be able to show I have enough in saving's to make it habitable.
    they will want “good marketable title” (legal concept)

What do you mean here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Good marketable title will be for your solicitor to investigate. Sometimes with repossessions there can be uncertainties as to the quality of the title to the property.

Advertisement