Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Single Use Plastics

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Ask the Japanese.

https://www.japan.go.jp/tomodachi/2015/winter2015/advanced_waste_disposal_technology.html
    Multiple provisions are made to prevent gases and harmful substances emitted during incineration, such as sulfur oxide and particulate matter, from being emitted outside the facilities. Chimneys of waste incineration plants emit vapor—not smoke—that does not contain harmful substances.

If this bit is true (and I doubt it is but thats just me cuz all these things turn out to be bullsh1t or worse in the end) then this is good.

8000 tonnes of waste a day though and it's down nearly by half since 1989, wtf were they at in 1989!!!!

I can't be arsed looking up how many countries have these ones but I'd say it's small - the water flowing down off the Himalayas has plastic in it because of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭salonfire

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Has our free market really been all that free?

I haven't experienced any shortages of goods I want so its been pretty good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,692 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

salonfire wrote:
    I haven't experienced any shortages of goods I want so its been pretty good to me.

But environmentally speaking, has it really been good for us, and are we now just over producing beyond our planets capacity to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Rwanda has recently passed draft legislation that will eventually lead to a ban on the manufacture, sale, importation and use of single use plastics. They have had a ban on plastics bags for a decade now and that policy was a success so the gradual ban on single use plastics will be watched with interest by other countries considering a similar legislation. https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/waste/going-surgical-on-plastics-in-rwanda-68446
    I think ambitious policies are a good idea, especially where the environment is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭bilbot79

An Inconvenient Truth - we should not adorn every s*** that our pets do with its own plastic bag in order to protect our children's health and keep the pavements clean.

Poo bags are a disaster seriously. Covering something in plastic that rapidly decomposes anyway??

What about cows***, fox's***, rabbits*** and deers***? Why does dogs*** require a plastic bag?

Bring back the 80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,692 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bilbot79 wrote:
    Bring back the 80s

What about bringing forward the 20's!

As above, there's nothing stopping us from banning single use plastics

Advertisement