Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Sept 2020

Options
  • 18-01-2020 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I don't see a thread here for this yet. I've posted a few times in the August thread but had an early scan yesterday & they've estimated Sept 1st as my due date, so I could end up in either.

Feeling well so far, thankfully no morning sickness yet, just a little tiredness, sore boobs & achey back. How's everyone else feeling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lorindol31

Hi there,
    Congrats Rebel83! Had my GP yesterday and got it confirmed. I'm 5w and 6days today. Due middle of September. Did debate between private vs public. But decided on public and I am considering the Domino scheme. But my doctor said I'd have to be assessed first. Appointment requested for CUMH. Hoping to go for a private early scan around week 8 to make things are all well.
    Had a miscarriage week 5 back in August so I am trying to not get too excited.
    Been having a few cramps, sore back, tender nipples. Found my stomach turns at the smell of certain foods recently as well. Only want bland food. Not sure if that is pregnancy or illness related as I am also suffering with sinuses issues and ear infection. So feeling very run down. Yay(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

Congrats Lorindol!

Will also be at CUMH - still waiting for the appointment, after GP referral on Jan 3rd. Did the early pregnancy scan in Babyscan this week & she said I should hear from them within the next 2 weeks & if nothing by week 10 to phone then directly to make sure it didn't get "lost" in administration.

Sorry to hear about your sinus problems - have you tried the Dr Neilus Sinus Rinse once a day? It can help clear mucus out, especially if you do it an hour before bed.

I've decided on public too - I've had friends who delivered in CUMH as public & private, and I don't think it's worth the €3-4K just to see the same consultant & get a few extra scans. I was looking into the Domino scheme too although to be honest I would be a little nervous going home the same day on my 1st baby, but I definitely plan to ask them about being in the Midwife led clinic rather than Consultabt led - I've heard from friends that you get more time with them & they are less crowded. But my GP said the same, you need to go to the initial appt to get assessed either way so I have time yet to decide.

Lorindol31 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Congrats Rebel83! Had my GP yesterday and got it confirmed. I'm 5w and 6days today. Due middle of September. Did debate between private vs public. But decided on public and I am considering the Domino scheme. But my doctor said I'd have to be assessed first. Appointment requested for CUMH. Hoping to go for a private early scan around week 8 to make things are all well.
    Had a miscarriage week 5 back in August so I am trying to not get too excited.
    Been having a few cramps, sore back, tender nipples. Found my stomach turns at the smell of certain foods recently as well. Only want bland food. Not sure if that is pregnancy or illness related as I am also suffering with sinuses issues and ear infection. So feeling very run down. Yay(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Hello and congrats :) Due September also and can hardly believe I'm typing that lol! I'm a little confused about the care options. My GP said that there are 3 care options, consultant led, midwife led and another option which I can't remember?

lfen wrote: »
    Hello and congrats :) Due September also and can hardly believe I'm typing that lol! I'm a little confused about the care options. My GP said that there are 3 care options, consultant led, midwife led and another option which I can't remember?

Is it the Domino scheme. I think that is also midwife led but you get sent home same day if no complications. I think you can have it if you live a certain distance to the hospital.

Thanks for the tips Rebel83, i do use the sinus rinse alright, just had to give it a few days because you can't use it with an ear infection apparently. Glad to hear someone else is going public and going through the same CUMH system too. The aspect of the Domino scheme I liked is the fact the mid wives will call out to your home the few days after the birth so it'll be 1 to 1 time with them and they can give practical advice on the set up in you own place. If i can't get on the domino scheme, i'd definitely be tempted with the mid wife led care.
    I went to the doctor last friday and i already have an appointment for a scan in the early pregnancy unit for week 8.
    Welcome to group lfen. I read some of the other threads and found them useful, so hopeful we can help each other out over the next few months!

• Advertisement

Thank you! Been busy today doing research and think I am leaning towards midwife led. I’m quite nervous about the pregnancy (have always put pregnancy up there with one of the hardest things in life lol) and it sounds like that option offers more emotional support. Still very much open to hearing views and feedback on all options though.

Anyone having difficulty sleeping already? I'm not a great sleeper at the best of times & I find I am waking most nights to pee & then really struggling to get back to sleep after. I dread to think how much worse it'll get when I'm heavily pregnant!!

Lorindol31 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips Rebel83, i do use the sinus rinse alright, just had to give it a few days because you can't use it with an ear infection apparently. Glad to hear someone else is going public and going through the same CUMH system too. The aspect of the Domino scheme I liked is the fact the mid wives will call out to your home the few days after the birth so it'll be 1 to 1 time with them and they can give practical advice on the set up in you own place. If i can't get on the domino scheme, i'd definitely be tempted with the mid wife led care.
    I went to the doctor last friday and i already have an appointment for a scan in the early pregnancy unit for week 8.
    Welcome to group lfen. I read some of the other threads and found them useful, so hopeful we can help each other out over the next few months!

Great you've the scan appt already. My GP didn't refer to the early pregnancy unit so I'm still waiting for the CUMH appt - went to Babyscan for a private scan at 7w3d, it was lovely to see the heartbeat flickering away.

Be warned though, you need to have a VERY full bladder for the early scan - I had drank a fair amount of water but I wasn't hopping on 1 leg to go when the sonographer started the scan, so she couldn't find the baby. Although she was so reassuring & told me to leave it 20 mins & drink a little more as well as let the water I had drank 'filter through' before she scanned me again as that was the most likely reason, I couldn't help but imagine the worst for those 20 mins. So plan to be uncomfortably needing to go for your 8 wk scan. Good luck with it! Hope the sinus issues clear up for you soon!!

Rebel83 wrote: »
    Anyone having difficulty sleeping already? I'm not a great sleeper at the best of times & I find I am waking most nights to pee & then really struggling to get back to sleep after. I dread to think how much worse it'll get when I'm heavily pregnant!!

Not to rub it in, but I’m asleep more than I’m awake. Haven’t seen my partner in about a week lol. I drink Twinings Sleep tea and actually think it works. It’s the camomile, vanilla and spiced apple one. Haven’t had it since I found out I’m pregnant so maybe look up if it’s ok to drink before trying it.

Not to rub it in, but I’m asleep more than I’m awake. Haven’t seen my partner in about a week lol. I drink Twinings Sleep tea and actually think it works. It’s the camomile, vanilla and spiced apple one. Haven’t had it since I found out I’m pregnant so maybe look up if it’s ok to drink before trying it.

I'll look it up. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Grainneluke87

Hey guys, congrats to everyone, I’m due 12th of September... it’s my second baby, I have a 11 month old already so if all goes well I’ll be very busy in a few months. Can’t get a wink of sleep. Not sure if it’s nerves as I’ve booked in for early scan next week so hopefully all goes well. I went with the domino midwives last time and I’d highly recommend it- the midwives are so nice and it’s stress free. If you want to ask anything about it ask away. I’m actually going semi private this time as the only downfall was the public ward in aftercare was just so busy and loud, it was impossible to sleep (storyofmylife) so going to make use of my health insurance and hopefully get a 4bed Ward this time!

Hey guys, congrats to everyone, I’m due 12th of September... it’s my second baby, I have a 11 month old already so if all goes well I’ll be very busy in a few months. Can’t get a wink of sleep. Not sure if it’s nerves as I’ve booked in for early scan next week so hopefully all goes well. I went with the domino midwives last time and I’d highly recommend it- the midwives are so nice and it’s stress free. If you want to ask anything about it ask away. I’m actually going semi private this time as the only downfall was the public ward in aftercare was just so busy and loud, it was impossible to sleep (storyofmylife) so going to make use of my health insurance and hopefully get a 4bed Ward this time!

Congrats to you too! How quickly were you home after your first baby? The domino scheme scared me a bit because it said that they could possibly have you home 6 hours after birth. I love being at home more than anything lol but that seems very soon? What other benefits did you find it had and how many scans in total did you have? (Not including private scans)

Congrats to you too! How quickly were you home after your first baby? The domino scheme scared me a bit because it said that they could possibly have you home 6 hours after birth. I love being at home more than anything lol but that seems very soon? What other benefits did you find it had and how many scans in total did you have? (Not including private scans)

Hey ifen,

So my baby was born in the morning and I went home the following day in the afternoon. I had a forceps delivery so they kept me in an extra day; they said if it had been natural I would have went home the day he was born. (To be honest I would have preferred that as you just want to be comfortable and once the baby is here and there’s no problems, you don’t get that much help) the midwife called to my house then every day for maybe 4 day’s doing tests and checking up- this was great as you could ask lots of questions and it’s just more relaxed than if you were in hospital... I only had two scans- 12 weeks and 20 weeks, otherwise it was just midwife or go visits where they take blood pressure, urine, feel around your tummy, measure the bump. I would have liked more scans but they know what they are doing and I suppose it wasn’t really necessary. I just thought the hospital was a bit daunting so clinics were just easy going and relaxed!

Actually it’s also worth noting that they say you can be sent home 6 hours after/ but that’s only if you want, you can ask them to stay longer if you’re not comfortable going home so early, they said that’s no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Due my third on the 28th of September. We're beside ourselves with excitement. Have a 5 and 4 year old currently so my energy levels are being tested!

Crampy, exhausted constantly and a lot of hot flushes and queasiness for about 2 hours every morning but no full on sickness. Mind you, the smell of lamb and boiled eggs have both done a number on me in the past 24 hours!

Actually it’s also worth noting that they say you can be sent home 6 hours after/ but that’s only if you want, you can ask them to stay longer if you’re not comfortable going home so early, they said that’s no problem

Thanks for all that info. I had completely discounted it but it actually does sound like something to consider. My only concern was the early discharge but as you said, you can stay longer in the hospital if you like. Kinda keeps your options open.

You mentioned you were finding it difficult to sleep. Have you tried sleep tea? That and guided sleep apps are a godsend I think.

Thanks for all that info. I had completely discounted it but it actually does sound like something to consider. My only concern was the early discharge but as you said, you can stay longer in the hospital if you like. Kinda keeps your options open.

You mentioned you were finding it difficult to sleep. Have you tried sleep tea? That and guided sleep apps are a godsend I think.

Defo keeps your options open and a friend of mine had a baby measuring a little small so she was referred to a consultant straight away!!

Forgot about the sleep tea I’m def going to try! Hopefully it’ll get better after the scan, the wait for it is torture!! Fingers crossed all goes well for all of us 😊

Does anyone else feel very very anxious and not really know why? I’ve always put pregnant women up there with superheroes so put it off for a long time. I’m 31 and this is my first. I hoped that once I got pregnant I’d be fine and I feel really guilty because the worry is kinda trumping any other emotion.

Good info about the Domino early discharge Grainne - I'm also slightly concerned about going home too early on my 1st, but I am lucky to have some good family support & no smallies at home so it could be more comfortable than staying in hospital. A good friend had her 3rd recently & she found they were so short staffed that she had little support in the hospital anyway - although she was glad of the ability to nap away from her toddlers :-)

Got all my appointments in the post form CUMH today - exciting!!

They've booked the dating scan & Booking appt on 2 separate days which is a bit annoying but seems to be standard - both on week 13 so not too late thankfully.

Got my birthing & breast-feeding class appointments for July & August too - handy to be able to plan.

Still feeling ok thankfully, just tired & a slight headache today so trying to keep up my hydration levels. Feel lucky I haven't had any morning sickness yet - how's everyone else feeling?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Does anyone else feel very very anxious and not really know why? I’ve always put pregnant women up there with superheroes so put it off for a long time. I’m 31 and this is my first. I hoped that once I got pregnant I’d be fine and I feel really guilty because the worry is kinda trumping any other emotion.

That goes with pregnancy and kids unfortunately. I stressed for 9 months through each of mine. You kind of just have to push it to one side as best you can. And don't be afraid to say it to your GP or midwife if you are really struggling with it.

I didnt have it too bad with my first two (in my 20s) but I'm 32 now and have definitely felt anxious since I found out. It really is normal though, the rational mind can wander and theres no shortage of worries. It gets easier when the movement starts as thats usually when you start getting busy preparing for the arrival :)

Hi everyone! :D Happy Friday.

Great info on Domino scheme, thanks. It's the midwives calling out to the house afterwards that I find most appealing. 1 to 1 time to ask all the questions.
    No sickness yet. Extremely tired some days, where it's hard to just get through work and make it home. Cramps and queasy feelings alright though. breakfast at work is tough going, they all love having hard boiled eggs. They are mank on a normal day for me. Smells of certain foods that i normally would eat will just turn my stomach.
    Not feeling overly excited or anything yet. I got myself far too excited too early last time for it not to end well. So that's in the back of my mind all the time. Just want to get to that 12 week barrier, afraid something will happen. It feels like an eternity. Atleast I have an early scan to look forward to soon.

The tiredness and queasiness is insane isn’t it! I’m feeling much the same, very tough while in work. I manage quite a large team of people and my patience feels tested for sure :) All that appeals to me is chicken, crackers and bread so trying my best to get some goodness in!
    Sorry to hear you had a pregnancy that didn’t end well. It must be so tough, especially on subsequent pregnancies. Hopefully your early scan isn’t too far away so you can get some reassurance.
    I woke up to some spotting last night and again this morning, almost fell off the toilet but my gp has said to try stay calm and monitor it. Easier said than done!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Plum Pud

Hi all, due my second on 6th Sept :) I'm 7w 6d now and have had an early scan this week as we were undergoing fertility treatment and thankfully all is going well. The tiredness and nausea is a killer but it's good too. Have my first booking appointment in the Coombe on 25th February so I can't wait for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Hi, just got a positive pregnancy test a couple of days ago so im only about 4 weeks 3 days. Very very early days. I had an early miscarriage previously so I'm a bit nervous and afraid to get hope's up. I'm having mild period like cramps, is this normal at this stage?

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Hi, just got a positive pregnancy test a couple of days ago so im only about 4 weeks 3 days. Very very early days. I had an early miscarriage previously so I'm a bit nervous and afraid to get hope's up. I'm having mild period like cramps, is this normal at this stage?

You're more or less as far along as me and I've had mild to moderate period cramps since two days before I tested positive. Had very strong ones for the first few weeks with my first girl so no need to worry, perfectly normal as embryo burrows in!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    You're more or less as far along as me and I've had mild to moderate period cramps since two days before I tested positive. Had very strong ones for the first few weeks with my first girl so no need to worry, perfectly normal as embryo burrows in!

Thanks for the reply. Kind of hard not to worry but have to tell myself, what will be will be. Wishing the weeks away!
    Tiredness is overwhelming at the moment, I cannot stay awake past 9 pm but then waking up intermittently through the night
    Wide awake now!

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Kind of hard not to worry but have to tell myself, what will be will be. Wishing the weeks away!
    Tiredness is overwhelming at the moment, I cannot stay awake past 9 pm but then waking up intermittently through the night
    Wide awake now!

I've napped three times today already, very fortunate that the kiddies are away for two nights visiting so I get to sleep when I need it, but by golly sometimes it's like I've been drugged! I can liken it to the time I took the drowsy Sudafed by mistake one time :P

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I've napped three times today already, very fortunate that the kiddies are away for two nights visiting so I get to sleep when I need it, but by golly sometimes it's like I've been drugged! I can liken it to the time I took the drowsy Sudafed by mistake one time :P

😅😅😅 I dont feel too bad today. Time will tell as the evening goes on, see how long I can stay awake🙂Will put up with all the symptoms in the world once all is ok🀞

Advertisement