Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rainy day savings

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jimmy456

"investing in the stockmarket isn't all that risky" - tell that to all the people that were due to retire between 2009-2016

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ya. Sure you have LOL

Yup...just because you don’t, do not tar all of us as non-believers in saving for that rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Keep 10k liquid in a checking or savings account and anything above that should be invested, if you haven't saved 10k yet you probably don't need to worry about investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Silly is trying to cover a risk of less that one percent by taking on a higher risk on money you can't afford to loose. You are way out of your depth.

It's not simply about covering inflation losses, the growth is good too. Even if the market dropped 20% at some stage you could still potentially be withdrawing with a profit or breaking even. And of course I wouldn't advise putting everything in the market. Once you've got a solid six months worth of cash you can start making it work here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Lyan wrote: »
    It's not simply about covering inflation losses, the growth is good too. Even if the market dropped 20% at some stage you could still potentially be withdrawing with a profit or breaking even. And of course I wouldn't advise putting everything in the market. Once you've got a solid six months worth of cash you can start making it work here and there.

You're backtracking now and requoting other people's advice as your own.
    Don't give financial advice if you don't understand it please. There's a reason it's a regulated industry. The man asked about a rainy day fund not long term investment strategy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Just stop digging... with ever post your credibility gets less and less.

Are we not allowed to give people alternative ideas? I never specifically stated I was advising him on a rainy day fund. The hostility here.

Are we not allowed to give people alternative ideas? I never specifically stated I was advising him on a rainy day fund. The hostility here.

When you give people bad financial advice, legal advice etc.. you can fully expect to be called out on it, because it has consequences for the OP and anyone else who might act on it.

It's not bad financial advice, just different financial advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

It is different, and bad

• Advertisement

Next you'll be telling us you went to the Kellyanne Conway school of finance.

I'm not sure how some of the most basic and safe investment strategy advice given by many financial experts is misplaced in a thread on long term savings. No harm in letting OP know what else he can do. You guys can disagree but no need to make a **** competition out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

Don't put your emergency fund in the stock market or mutual funds. The point of an emergency fund is to be a reliable pool of essentially liquid cash that you can access on short notice. Any interest or return you might earn on it is secondary to its purpose, and you should not go putting that money into a high-risk investment vehicle, or there is a very real chance that you may take a significant loss if you need to take money out when the market happens to be down. It also increases the time it will take to access your funds, which could be an issue if you have an unexpected expense that must be paid immediately.

Interest rates are poor at the moment, but there's really no easy workaround for that. No one is going to pay much more than ~1% or so on a standard savings account at the very most (and to get that, it'll have to be a monthly deposit savings account). Credit unions pay very little in the way of dividends as well, as they're subject to the same low interest rates as everyone else, and you can't even know ahead of time how much you'll get from them.

As for general financial advice, the typical recommendation for how to divvy up your savings is usually:

- Keep at least one month of expenses as a buffer in your current account and never let it dip below that threshold; this way if you have any issues such as an incorrect automatic debit or a late payslip deposit, you don't risk being overdrawn.

- Put funds into an emergency fund in a savings account accessible on demand until you have ~3-6 months of expenses in there. This fund is only for emergencies, e.g. an unexpected and necessary expense like a car or appliance repair, or to live on in case you lose your job. How much you need really depends on your personal financial circumstances; think about what amount would make you comfortable to have if you were to suddenly lose your source of income without notice tomorrow. If you draw from the account for one-off emergencies, then your monthly savings should go to topping it back up first.

- Contributing to your pension or PRSA up to the maximum age-based tax-relief threshold should be your next priority. This is generally the best return you'll get on your money, due to the tax relief.

The rest of your monthly savings should be divided up based on your financial goals:

- If you're saving for something in the short term, a few years or less (e.g. a deposit for a mortgage), you'd generally want to keep your money in something non-volatile, such as a savings account or a long-term deposit account. It won't earn much interest, but it will be there for you when you need it in a couple years.

- If you aren't saving for anything in particular or know you won't be needing the money for several years, that's when you want to start looking into other investment options such as mutual funds. Those are generally best for long-term investments; while the market can be quite volatile in the short term, it does tend to rise over the long term and historically has significantly outpaced any deposit account interest rates on average during most longer (10+ year) periods. Just make sure you read about the tax issues involved in such investments; for certain types of funds, you may be required to pay tax on the gains every eight years whether you've actually disposed of your investments or not, so you need to be prepared and have the cash on hand to pay the deemed disposal tax in those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm not sure how some of the most basic and safe investment strategy advice given by many financial experts is misplaced in a thread on long term savings. No harm in letting OP know what else he can do. You guys can disagree but no need to make a **** competition out of it.

Don't be a dumbass. You gave idiotic advice on what to do with a rainy day fund. You sound like a kid that watched a 5 minute youtube video about investing and think they know it all.

That's pretty low tier ad hominem. Actually it's lower, it's just name calling. I can't really take you seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

OP please don't put your emergency fund in the stock market... Please.

Options are few and far between these days for a safe way to beat inflation. Some like Prize Bonds (don't know how long it takes to withdraw...), me I just take it on the chin and have mine in a regular a/c.

Advertisement