Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

user1842 wrote: »
    How was the code entered?
    Manually by myself, can't remember exactly, it was over a year ago.
    I figured there was an obvious answer why I can't get the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

zell12 wrote: »
    Manually by myself, can't remember exactly, it was over a year ago.
    I figured there was an obvious answer why I can't get the app

You need to check if your phone is rooted or not. Install a root checker app from the play store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sorry if covered but is there anyway to lodge cash to N26 in Ireland? Want to close my BOI account but would still need to lodge cash from time to time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sorry if covered but is there anyway to lodge cash to N26 in Ireland? Want to close my BOI account but would still need to lodge cash from time to time
    Nope. There is no way to lodge cash to N26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Nope. There is no way to lodge cash to N26.

There is a way via money-gram or western union but it's not the cheapest.

Your local office will tell you the price, depending on the office it can cost from 1.99€ but some offices are more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ah pity that, I was hoping to only hold an N26 account without the need for a conventional one but I need to logde cash from time to time. Getting annoyed with all their various charges, hopefully N26 set up a facility for cash lodgements at some point, I believe they do it via shops in Germany and Austria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Lodge cash in to a Credit Union account and then transfer it to N26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

A free ebs moneymanager account should allow you to do? that It is what I do to transfer cash to my KBC account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Lodge cash in to a Credit Union account and then transfer it to N26.

Beat me to it, easiest option I find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Beat me to it, easiest option I find

Probably also the sanest option. CUs have come a long way .. a lot even offer online access.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

Does anyone know what's happening with this? I was able to 'top up' instantly with money via Revolut but between Ulster Bank and N26, it can take 1 business day - 2 business days. I got caught out with a bill there on Friday, I couldn't transfer fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Elysium1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's happening with this? I was able to 'top up' instantly with money via Revolut but between Ulster Bank and N26, it can take 1 business day - 2 business days. I got caught out with a bill there on Friday, I couldn't transfer fast enough.

None of the irish banks are doing direct SEPA. I guess that is what you are asking about.

N26 only does direct SEPA inbound (if they implemented it) and only if the transfer was direct SEPA from the originating bank (which none of the irish banks do). And as a typical german bank they only credit funds once a day for regular transfers .. and follow German bank holidays (which catches me out sometimes).

Revolut on the other hand credits all incoming funds instantly.. any time of the day .. disregardless how they are done. So with them the only delay is the originating bank.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

By "top up instantly with money", you mean add money to your Revolut account using a debit/credit card from another bank?

If yes, N26 only offers this facility once after opening the account to get you started, but not afterwards. You then need to use SEPA transfers. Basically they see themselves as a full fledged bank whereby they expect you to receive your salary or make monthly transfers which cover your spendings for a while - as opposed to be a side payment method add-on which you top-up on an ad-hoc basics whenever you want to make a purchase (which is the way many people use Revolut).

N26 is in the process of implemented SEPA instant which would allow you to transfer money to them within a few seconds using SEPA, but in order for it to work, Ulster Bank would also need to implement it as the credit transfer issuing bank (I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen anytime soon, and whenever they have it they might apply a fee).

So I should get my first salary into N26 this Friday. Here's hoping it's not delayed for 'a German bank holiday' yikes, that could be a pain. I don't want to be watching bank holidays in 2 countries now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

So I should get my first salary into N26 this Friday. Here's hoping it's not delayed for 'a German bank holiday' yikes, that could be a pain. I don't want to be watching bank holidays in 2 countries now!

TARGET2 is open every day, with the exception of: Saturdays; Sundays; New Year’s Day; Good Friday and Easter Monday; 1 May (Labour Day); Christmas Day; and 26 December.

The above are the only days that incoming payments are not processed (unless both banks use SCT Inst, which has 24/7/365 availability)

• Advertisement

user1842 wrote: »
    TARGET2 is open every day, with the exception of: Saturdays; Sundays; New Year’s Day; Good Friday and Easter Monday; 1 May (Labour Day); Christmas Day; and 26 December.

The above are the only days that incoming payments are not processed (unless both banks use SCT Inst, which has 24/7/365 availability)

Thanks a million. That puts my mind at ease.

The proof is really in the pudding with these things. I've been using N26 for a few weeks now and only Three Ireland rejected a top up and I'm not worried about that. So far, so good.

Update: So today is my first payday in a new job and also with N26. Nothing new visible in my account when I got up early. At about 7.31am I got the message that my salary arrived. Other nervous nellies wondering about switching to N26 might like to know! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

i am trying to send a transfer to a GB account. I keep getting an error connecting to server, and support told me to use the Transferwise website, using my N26 credentials.
    Transferwise seems to have ridiculous fees, and defeats the purpose of me using/having N26. Has anyone else had this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Suckit wrote: »
    i am trying to send a transfer to a GB account. I keep getting an error connecting to server, and support told me to use the Transferwise website, using my N26 credentials.
    Transferwise seems to have ridiculous fees, and defeats the purpose of me using/having N26. Has anyone else had this issue?

Never had ridiculous fees when I used transferwise.
    I bought a car using it one time and saved 650 euro by not using my Irish bank account.

blade1 wrote: »
    I bought a car using it one time and saved 650 euro by not using my Irish bank account.

I only used it once and also thought the fees were pretty reasonable. It was maybe 2 years ago though.

blade1 wrote: »

Thanks, and fair enough, but not sure why N26 are even suggesting it to me as an option. I tried support again and got a different agent and they checked a few things and it went through.

I only glanced at the transferwise and hadn't realised it was exchanging the currency, however there are still fees.

Send €1000, receiver gets €995.29
    If I want to gove someone €1000 I have to send €1004.73, so not massive fees, but a little awkward.

But I still don't get why a fee service was recommended to me by N26. Luckily my username and password didn't work on the transferwise site, so maybe got a bored support agent. Kaan was his or her name.

• Advertisement

If you are transferring euros to a SEPA account in the UK, you should be able to do it free within the N26 app. Not sure why support directed you to Transferwise.

Having said that, while there is a fee I can see Transferwise only charges 63c to transfer €1000 euros if you don’t require the fast option with multiple daily SEPA batches per day.

A minor irritation with N26: Irish Rail tap service never works with this card, either the card or on Apple Pay. My old Irish bank account card would be accepted however.

With the crazy queues some morning at the train station I decided to give the auto-top-up a go. Nearly 2 weeks later, they didn't send me the code by debiting my account. So I emailed them, they said call them for "security purposes". (it's a Leap card, not a Mastercard black edition unlimited ;)). They would only process it over the phone.

I slightly suspected that even with a 'full bank' like N26 there would still be suspicious with some retailers and companies. We are at the front of the pack I guess. Pioneers of new things always face bumps. For the next tiers of people that join, they likely won't have to go through these things. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I've been trying to transfer online from Bank of Ireland to N26 and it's failing sometimes. The money just gets returned a couple of days later. It did work at least once though.

Anyone know how to find out why this is happening or has a similar experience?

Anima wrote: »
    I've been trying to transfer online from Bank of Ireland to N26 and it's failing sometimes. The money just gets returned a couple of days later. It did work at least once though.

For the first time I had a similar experience this week with aventcard, paid money off the credit card and a couple of days later it was back in my N26 account

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anima wrote: »

Are you putting the location of your N26 account as Germany?
    This caught me out on my first day with N26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

For the first time I had a similar experience this week with aventcard, paid money off the credit card and a couple of days later it was back in my N26 account
    I know with AIB I have to use a different IBAN to pay into my credit card from N26 then I would use if I had an Irish account. This could also be the case here. Did you call them to check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

kceire wrote: »
    Are you putting the location of your N26 account as Germany?
    This caught me out on my first day with N26.

Hmm I have my tax liability set as Ireland. Probably need to update that but there is no other location setting is there?

I don't see why that would cause it to fail though.

They have been 'looking into' my request as to why they incorrectly charged me €50 a while ago for almost two months.
    I have given them the correct emails and all of the relevant information and still getting zero response from them.
    Somebody in there accidentally charged me €50 and nobody seems willing to or capable of rectifying it.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I know with AIB I have to use a different IBAN to pay into my credit card from N26 then I would use if I had an Irish account. This could also be the case here. Did you call them to check?

No I didn't to be honest, I just transferred money from another account. Must look into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just trying to add my payee details on payee group on Bank of Ireland to have my wages going to N26 account but it doesn't give option for IBAN, just account number and NSC. Will the last 8 digits of the IBAN suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just trying to add my payee details on payee group on Bank of Ireland to have my wages going to N26 account but it doesn't give option for IBAN, just account number and NSC. Will the last 8 digits of the IBAN suffice?
    No you have to use the full number. IIRC there's a section for international payments in 365 where you can do it.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/international-payments/how-to-make-a-payment/#panel2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

TheChizler wrote: »
    No you have to use the full number. IIRC there's a section for international payments in 365 where you can do it.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/international-payments/how-to-make-a-payment/#panel2

Cheers Chizler, I'm using business banking though and there isn't as as many options. I might just given them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Has anyone had any issues with using moneybeam recently, I can no longer see my contacts or import them to send money and also I get an error when I manually add anyone, they all have the visible setting turned on and used to be there.

Xenji wrote: »
    Has anyone had any issues with using moneybeam recently, I can no longer see my contacts or import them to send money and also I get an error when I manually add anyone, they all have the visible setting turned on and used to be there.
    Make sure the app is up to date and check permissions in settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not too impressed with this N28 crowd to be honest.

Had roughly €20 in my account and paid for an item on Amazon (in sterling for roughly €20 converted) a month or two back and went through successfully..

.. then even though payment went through, I was overdrawn by a whole 2 cents.

They then proceeded to remind me of this and then stated each email they send reminding me has a €3 charge! :rolleyes:

If it affects my credit rating, so be it.. but gonna let the account close!

Too awkward to transfer money to them (bank transfer only), a terrible app (no push notifications on spend etc.) and not to mention bizarre admin fees (€3 to send an email?).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Basq wrote: »

Had roughly €20 in my account and paid for an item on Amazon (in sterling for roughly €20 converted) a month or two back and went through successfully..

They then proceeded to remind me of this and then stated each email they send reminding me has a €3 charge! :rolleyes:

Too awkward to transfer money to them (bank transfer only), a terrible app (no push notifications on spend etc.) and not to mention bizarre admin fees (€3 to send an email?).

In fairness it's an unarranged overdraft, even if its 2c. They could have declined the Amazon purchase....just keep a buffer in there.

Re spend notifications, I get them on my watch everytime my account is debited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I get push notifications for every transaction. Must be something to do with your phone or settings.

What's so different about getting money into the account compared to say AIB or BoI?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Suckit wrote: »
    Make sure the app is up to date and check permissions in settings.

Everything is up to date and permissions are fine, it was working perfectly for about a year and then last month it wants me to import contacts or manually add a contact which neither work.

The only way I have found around it is to have a friend request a cent and when I pay it I can use the transaction information to access the moneybeam function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

In fairness it's an unarranged overdraft, even if its 2c. They could have declined the Amazon purchase....just keep a buffer in there.
    I would have preferred the Amazon purchase be declined to be honest..
    McGaggs wrote: »
    I get push notifications for every transaction. Must be something to do with your phone or settings.
    You could be right as the Two Factor Authentication via Push Notification doesn't work on N26 but push notifications working elsewhere on every often app.
    McGaggs wrote: »
    What's so different about getting money into the account compared to say AIB or BoI?
    I'd have preferred the ability to top up via card to be honest.. sending money internationally via AIB required setting up new payees using Card Reader etc which can't be done via AIB mobile app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'd have preferred the ability to top up via card to be honest.. sending money internationally via AIB required setting up new payees using Card Reader etc which can't be done via AIB mobile app.

Just on this one - that's a horrible implementation by AIB, and hardly the fault of N26

Sounds like what you’re looking for is a nice extra payment card like Revolut or Curve; not a full fledged bank like N26. SEPA transfers are the normal way to credit any bank account and N26 is no different.

And yes agree AIB’s implementation of non-Irish SEPA transfers is shameful, but as someone said isn’t it something to complain about in an AIB thread rather than an N26 one? (it has also bothered me with sending money to various other banks across the EU, nothing specific to N26)

One thing I fully agree with you about is that it makes no sense to approve an overdraft transaction for a customer which doesn’t have overdraft facility, and then start charging fees (I understand why it likely happened through: it takes a few days for the transaction to settle and the exchange rate can change in the meantime which likely happened at your slight disadvantage - the difference with Revolut is that Revolut are doing the currency conversion themselves and have control over these things, whereas N26 are relying on MasterCard for the conversion and thus don’t have control).

Having said that you could also have had a sufficient amount on your account for the transaction you decided to make. And right now you could transfer those missing few cents to N26 from your other account with no fee and have this sorted in 5 mins. So you have to admit you aren’t exactly being easy either ;-)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Re spend notifications, I get them on my watch everytime my account is debited?

And this situation arose due to the euro/sterling exchange rate changing slightly between when the transaction was made and when it was settled on the account a few days later. Exact same thing would have happened using any other bank's debit card.

Only way to avoid it is to use a card that gives you a real-time exchange rate, such as Revolut or Curve.

Minor update on day-to-day usage.

I previously had problems using my N26 mastercard to top-up with Three. Not today. Perhaps they've got on with it.

Just 1 bill left - my local gym insists on using bank account numbers and despite an N26 article saying the last 10 digits should be 'personal', my gym rejects it. This month they can modernise too, or I'm dropping my membership. I just don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭ffocused

I had a transaction declined in Argos yesterday on my N26 card from both Apple Pay and with the card & pin.
    The app stated it was declined because I have payments abroad disabled.
    I was in Naas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ffocused wrote: »
    I had a transaction declined in Argos yesterday on my N26 card from both Apple Pay and with the card & pin.
    The app stated it was declined because I have payments abroad disabled.
    I was in Naas.

The only guess I can make there is Argos IE is using a UK MSP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Great reassurance in how difficult it is to transfer your authorized device over to a new handset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

ED E wrote: »
    Great reassurance in how difficult it is to transfer your authorized device over to a new handset.

I wanted to change my phone number and Email on my N26 account. Jumped through hoops but was encouraging with the security put in place.

I got my €50 refunded from February 2018. No explanation, no reply to any of my queries, the only responses I got since November (when I first queried it) was "our team are looking into it".
    It was messy. The in app support told me to use email, and the email support told me to use app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Pleasently surprised to see a SEPA transfer from my TransferWise to N26 happen instantly for me yesterday. Tested sending €1 back to it but its not the same back.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Pleasently surprised to see a SEPA transfer from my TransferWise to N26 happen instantly for me yesterday. Tested sending €1 back to it but its not the same back.

And it is free regardless of the amount you send?
    If yes, fairplay to TransferWise for implementing this is and not charging for it.

N26 are a bit strange: for now they seem to support incoming SEPA instant transfers, but not outgoing ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement