Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental implants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Sorry fitz, you seem to be overlooking 2 important points:
    1 the importance of the person doing the job.
    2 thats a very expensive piss

Don't think he meant piss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Will everyone please get off the implant system bandwagon. Good Research has failed to show ANY difference between the success of implant systems and all systems that have research show similar success rates of around 95-97%. The factors involved are

1. The Person who does the job.
    2. The person who does the job.
    3. The person who does the job.
    4. The patients healing.
    5. The planning.

Yeah, you want a system you can get parts for in the future, has been manufactured to good tolerances and is properly sterilized and surface treated so a lot of the clone systems are out as the manufacturing is very slack,, but the fact is that implant companies keep trying to differentiate their products by changing the surfaces, which basically mean you cannot look at the long term data anymore as the surface has changed. Nobel brought out the atrocious Nobel Direct implant that was later removed, so big names are not a guarantee of quality. (Nobel own AlphaBio BTW, Alpha are the budget product). Personally I would run a mile from bioactive surfaces untill the long term data is out.

You have to know that the surgeon will pick the correct system for long term success. There should be now question of being offered different types of implants. Either they are fit for purpose or not. If one is inferior then its shouldn't be used, the patient has no role in choosing the implant system.

Nick....time to **** or get off the pot :) you have seen enough dentists now.

I will see as many dentists as I like. And for a piss added comment like that I won't be using you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Don't think he meant piss!!!
    Is that like an in joke that only dentists get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Ah here now, its a common phrase about making up your mind. Some people try to research there way out of doing anything and thats what I am referring too. Nick I am sorry if I offended you however last Friday you had decided to go abroad,
    I have decided to go abroad. For what I need done the costs here are too much. I am getting straumann implants for 1100 euro per implant including crown and 100 for any grafting required. Prices here in excess of 2000...

You can go around to as many dentists as you want of course, however none is going to have the perfect balance of treatment you want, at the quality you want, with the aftercare you want and the price you want to pay.

Ah here now, its a common phrase about making up your mind. Some people try to research there way out of doing anything and thats what I am referring too. Nick I am sorry if I offended you however last Friday you had decided to go abroad,

You can go around to as many dentists as you want of course, however none is going to have the perfect balance of treatment you want, at the quality you want, with the aftercare you want and the price you want to pay.

It takes a lot to offend me lol... I nearly have my mind made up... I have had to wait for something else to happen as that took financial priority. So in the meantime I have been going to a few more dentists.At the end of the day its a big decision and I want to get it right hopefully. As you said every dentist has there own ideas and all had excellent advice bar one who told me to only place implants in my front tooth and bridge work the rest and you will be ok for 10 years.

Reason why I'm talking about going abroad is my OH is Brazilian and they keep saying to get them done there and its much cheaper there.

This will be my last post on the subject.Unless directly asked a question

• Advertisement

It takes a lot to offend me lol... I nearly have my mind made up... I have had to wait for something else to happen as that took financial priority. So in the meantime I have been going to a few more dentists.At the end of the day its a big decision and I want to get it right hopefully. As you said every dentist has there own ideas and all had excellent advice bar one who told me to only place implants in my front tooth and bridge work the rest and you will be ok for 10 years.

Reason why I'm talking about going abroad is my OH is Brazilian and they keep saying to get them done there and its much cheaper there.

This will be my last post on the subject.

Out of interest, how much money have you spent on consultations Nick?

Out of interest, how much money have you spent on consultations Nick?

200 euro

200 euro

Sorry, I got the impression that you have had a load of different consultations and opinions....

Sorry, I got the impression that you have had a load of different consultations and opinions....

I have had 5. But I had a panoramic xray. So most consultations were free. A lot of clinics are now doing free consultation also. I now know the job I want done. Its now just getting the price right. I don't mean the cheapest.

I have had 5. But I had a panoramic xray. So most consultations were free. A lot of clinics are now doing free consultation also. I now know the job I want done. Its now just getting the price right. I don't mean the cheapest.

Maybe this is why you have been offered such varied treatment plans.

No disrespect to anyone who offers free consultations but the reality is that less time and effort goes into these quick looks, because dentists would expect most of these free consultation patients to not go ahead with treatment with them....

• Advertisement

Maybe this is why you have been offered such varied treatment plans.

No disrespect to anyone who offers free consultations but the reality is that less time and effort goes into these quick looks, because dentists would expect most of these free consultation patients to not go ahead with treatment with them....

Well the longest consultation I had was actually free. They were very thorough. Basically the same treatment plan as my dearest consultation. Both were excellent IMO. For the other 2 free consultations one was way too expensive and the treatment plan for the other I wasn't happy with and wouldn't consider it. The other I payed for was trying to place implants everywhere and I lost interest when he got to implant number 9 lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It is very common for dentist to treatment plan cases differently and is not a sign that any one is wrong per say. The dentist chooses the treatment based on the patients wishes, their experience, what works for them, their training and their experience of other cases.

If you show the same case to 10 dentist you will get 10 different solution and any number of them may work. All depends on how its done really. Its fair to say that a good treatment plan can be executed poorly, but a bad one is doomed regardless of how it is done. I actually put the proviso in my treatment plans that I take no responsibility for outcomes if somebody else does it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 JengForNow

Looking to get dental implants done. Have been looking at Internet closely to see what is best options and getting a little confused. I have given approximately cost of 2200 if it's one implant and 1750 if it's the 3 I probably need. What should I look out for in dentists qualifications and prices?

Also people who have had implants done and like or unlike the work done can you pm name of dental clinics. Thanks

Spam in a can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Holy thread resurrection shillman....batman...I am guessing he has got his teeth done, or a few more consultation at least.

Advertisement