Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicions about hygienist and dentistry booking

Options
  • 20-12-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am having a wisdom tooth removed because it has large caries, and I am also due for a hygienist to do thorough cleaning. The secretary at the clinic booked me in for a hygienist immediately before that wisdom tooth operation. I said I'd thought it would be better to have the hygienist session done after removal and after the area has healed, but they disagreed.

I am suspicious because the clinic feels rushed and disorganized.

Obviously the wisdom tooth removal will leave the side of the next tooth exposed, and it won't have been cleaned by the hygienist if the hygienist does her work prior to the wisdom tooth operation. That side of the tooth will have been next to the caries, and won't have been cleaned by the hygienist as far as I can see.

Or am I missing something? Happy to be educated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Generally we do not clean people’s teeth while there is an open wound after an extraction, so if you wish to visit a Hygienist after the extraction, you have to wait a while.

To lower the risk of post op infection, ideally, all plaque (which contains bacteria) should be removed prior to surgery so that surrounding tissues are healthy/not inflamed, therefore more likely to heal without complication. It is not uncommon for plaque deposits to break off during extractions and fall into the socket, taking out teeth for people with gross plaques deposits is not pleasant.

Advertisement