Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays for Public Service???

Options
  • 27-04-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about this.I dont see it as public v private. But a friend of a friend in the pub (who works in public service) was insistent that public pays for private..Now I always thought that couldnt be the case.And still do...In the end we agreed to disagree...Going nowhere etc..(Incindentally he believes Cowen to be a good leader and that its the global economy downturn etc..Very frustrating to talk to)
    Would appreciate any more precise info on idea of public sector??Not Cowen I already know hes a gob5hite!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Of course the Private Sector pays for the Public sector. Government tax on the Public sector does not extract any money from the Public Sector, it just means that the government pays the individual PS employees less in net pay.

All money this, or any government extracts, comes from the private sector. It is the tax on goods created, value added, wages in the private sector, corporate profits etc. which pays for everything.

It is frankly unbelievable that anybody with second level education, or beyond, could think that money flows the other way.

( As an aside here, a government subsidy for a private sector company, i.e. a grant for a startup may seem like a subsidy from the public purse but it is, in fact, merely moving money from part of the private sector to another since all government revenues are from the private sector).

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Yeah you're right.It was very frustrating.I have met a few public sector workers who literally have no clue.I'm not someone who talks politics in the pub but when someone is talking rubbish I had to step in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

this just shows how deluded the people in public sector are to think such a thing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Just wondering about this.I dont see it as public v private. But a friend of a friend in the pub (who works in public service) was insistent that public pays for private..

Try the same conversation before going to the pub as it appears to suffer from the beer-goggles effect.

Advertisement