Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introductory Book Suggestions?

• 26-04-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭

I'd like to have a basic understanding of economics, mainly in relation to economic policies in Ireland. Basically I'd like to be a more informed voter, but I also think I'd find economics interesting. Does anyone have any book suggestions? Keep in mind I know practically nothing about economics, although I'm a maths student so I wouldn't mind if the book was maths-intensive. Someone suggested "The Economy of Ireland" in the Economics Resources thread above, but I'm not sure if it'd go over my head.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

How introductory are you talking? Leaving Cert?

I had this book. I found it rather good.

Modern Economics Leaving Certificate – Keith Spencer & Daniel McCarthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Jonathan wrote: »
    How introductory are you talking? Leaving Cert?

I had this book. I found it rather good.

Modern Economics Leaving Certificate – Keith Spencer & Daniel McCarthy

Well, I didn't do it for leaving cert, so possibly. Is LC economics basically a prerequisite for any college level book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

You could pick up The Economy of Ireland without reading any theory books beforehand. Greg Mankiw's Principles of Economics could compliment the other book, and use it as a reference guide.

No, leaving-cert books are not required. Third level introductory economics assumes no prior knowledge. Mankiw's book, for example, starts from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

You could pick up The Economy of Ireland without reading any theory books beforehand. Greg Mankiw's Principles of Economics could compliment the other book, and use it as a reference guide.

No, leaving-cert books are not required. Third level introductory economics assumes no prior knowledge. Mankiw's book, for example, starts from scratch.

Great, and there are plenty of copies of both of those in the library. Cheers!

rjt wrote: »
    Great, and there are plenty of copies of both of those in the library. Cheers!

Yep. Both are really standard so should be in a library.

If you want a good introduction to recent events:
    Charles Kindleberger - Manias, Panics and Crashes is an excellent (if a little dated!) read.
    Also, The Subprime Crises (not Irish but still interesting) by Robert Shiller and Animal Spirits are two excellent books. I haven't read the latter but I've heard good things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I'll give you Economy of Ireland and Parkin/Powell/Matthews Economics (Introduction to Economics course in JF) if you want ?

Also would reccomend some of the 'quirky' popeconomics books such as Freakonomics and the Undercover Economist for some light reading.

P.S Are you really that bored already with exemptions?:p

Also, it being so close to exams, can't imagine there are that many in the library now.

Advertisement