Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator warnings in threads

Options
  • 01-08-2019 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I would like to draw attention to the moderators and administrators regarding the moderator warnings which are in threads.

I recently received a ban which was downgraded to a red card for "ignoring a moderator instruction". The moderator warning which I apparently ignored, was at the end of the thread in the second last post which I genuinely did not see, as I proceeded to post just after reading the OP. No one reads the entire thread from start to finish before posting, anyone who says they do is a liar.

I have also see threads in which the OP is amended to read "See mod warning in post 123". Not only is navigating to this specific post before posting a pain the hole on the desktop version, it's extremely annoying on the touch site.

May I suggest that going forward, all mod warnings must be copied and pasted in the OP or at the very least, a link to said post pasted into the OP.

This will be a win-win situation, innocent posters like myself will not fall foul of a rule which I had no intention to break and then there will be no excuse for breaking said mod warning, which will weed out the bull****ters in the prison and appeals forum.

Thanks lads and ladies.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have no problem with doing this for general warnings. Just a couple of observations though

1. Sometimes in a long-running thread there can be quite a lot of warnings. Having a blanket policy that all must be copied into the OP may not make sense when effectively some warnings are repeats of prior warnings
    2. Sometimes a warning is directed towards a specific poster. Without the context of prior posts repeating it in the OP may give the impression it applies to everyone or may confuse matters it may serve to everyone.

If it is done I think it's helpful to include it as a quote of teh original warning as it allows posters (certainly on the full site) to click straight back to the original warning post to give that context. I also think it's helpful to indicate in the thread title that there are warnings and the date of the last one given. That can though end up with having to edit titles to provide enough space to introduce those details

All the above is me posting as a user, and certainly not indicating it is or will become site policy. I am reacting to the OP without having discussed it with my fellow Admins

Advertisement