Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free health & Dexa scan

Options
  • 18-12-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Thought this was worth putting in Bargin Alerts (mods feel free to move)

UCD Health Medicine Research Dept are doing a Dexa Scan, it’s a full body assessment which asses fitness levels, bone density, VO2, hand grip strength, blood tests/gases BMI, body fat % and other tests too & its free.
    Takes about an hour, well worth it, available to get done in either UCD or Pearse St.
    Currently being offered for free in return for using your data in their study

https://genofit.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

not seeing many open slots

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Worth noting that they are closing for the Xmas period and will re-open in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

What's involved if you elect to take part?

If you decide to volunteer and consent to one of our studies, in essence, you are agreeing to:

Sign a consent form once you are provided with all the relevant information to make an informed decision

Give a tablespoon and a half of your blood

Answer a lifestyle questionnaire

Allow your whole genome sequence data to be linked with your health data in a pseudonymised and secure GMI database – Participant Data Privacy Statement

Allow researchers and organisations approved by GMI to look at your data in a way that protects your identity, including for-profit healthcare companies such as those developing medicines and diagnostic tests

You may withdraw your consent at any time during the course of the study

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hundreds, literally, look into next year. Booked one for June there, just perfect timing for Summer bod check up lol.

Took one earlier this year, it was brilliant, a real eyeopener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Sounded interesting until I read they collect your entire genetic code. Not comfortable having that floating around out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bladespin wrote: »
    Hundreds, literally, look into next year. Booked one for June there, just perfect timing for Summer bod check up lol.

Sorry I meant not many in the next 5 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Got a cancellation for friday in pearse st, gonna read up on it today and decide if im comfortable with it or not, cheers op.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

May myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭big_drive

Standman wrote: »
    Sounded interesting until I read they collect your entire genetic code. Not comfortable having that floating around out there.

Sorry for the silly question, I'm clueless on medical stuff. What does that actually mean or what are the risks of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

All blood samples and health information are pseudonymised. This means that a unique GMI study number is used to label your samples and data, instead of your name or date of birth. The Research Team at the Institute for Sport and Health, UCD are the only individuals who can link your name to the GMI study number.

As part of this study, researchers from Ireland and other countries (EU and non-EU) may access information in the GMI database, to increase the chance of important discoveries. These groups may include University researchers, pharmaceutical or biotechnology research groups and for-profit companies.

Although your genetic data will be shared with externals, it won't be linked to you. Only UCD will have access to this information.

I think it's a great offer, a dexa scan is great for showing visceral fat. Many skinny folks out there with internal bellys!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭cena

What would happen if genetic code was out there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Just booked in for Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

big_drive wrote: »
    Sorry for the silly question, I'm clueless on medical stuff. What does that actually mean or what are the risks of this?

For me it's a privacy concern. This quote from a business insider article sums it up:
    Your DNA data contains highly sensitive information about your health and identity. Everything from your ancestry to your risk of cancer to information about allergies and predisposition to Alzheimer’s are often included in a genetic test report. Whether it’s a political figure claiming indigenous heritage or a CEO with a genetic risk for mental illness, any one of these factors could be used against someone if they got into the wrong hands.
    It's not hard to imagine how this info could work against you with employers/insurance companies. And let's not even imagine how useful and easily accessed this stuff would be to some future tyrannical dictator. Keep in mind also that your genetic code can be used to identify relatives and family members.

This research group "pseudonymises" your data as the poster above says, but in a world where leaks, hacks and dodgy data management happens all the time, for me that's pretty much meaningless when it comes to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

cena wrote: »

It could tip the balance unfavourably in the war against the machines

Don't worry, it's already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Western Lowland Gorilla

Aren't you only supposed to do it once? Otherwise your messing with the stats?

Aren't you only supposed to do it once? Otherwise your messing with the stats?

Don't see any mention of this in their info, last time I did it the lady who worked with me said I should go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

They could clone you. You might stumble upon a lab with a legion of Cenas in those big glass tanks, ready to be deployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Don't see any mention of this in their info, last time I did it the lady who worked with me said I should go again.

I would double check this again, it could have an impact on the scientific validity so please ensure its ok with them. Think about the bigger picture and not just a free dexa scan. It might be fine but worth being sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cool thanks.

I would double check this again, it could have an impact on the scientific validity so please ensure its ok with them. Think about the bigger picture and not just a free dexa scan. It might be fine but worth being sure.

Not too worried, I know the last study had several repeats in there, the data itself should filter exact matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Not too worried, I know the last study had several repeats in there, the data itself should filter exact matches.

How did your results fair out, if you don't mind me asking?

Are they in depth results or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

any idea how much this exam would be?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    How did your results fair out, if you don't mind me asking?

Are they in depth results or what?

Very good, I had been very serious re training for about 2 years on the run up but had no concrete data as results:

BF 13% :( had been hoping for a little better tbh, something to aim for this time round.

I'll look up the report later but lean mass was excellent, the scan and several other indicators are given indicating elite level training!!!!! Very happy with it especially when it was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

big_drive wrote: »

Haven't you seen the films - you come home from a hard days work, you look in the window and there you are, sitting on the goddamn sofa with the wife and kids, but don't hang about crying about like a big ol bitch, there'll be killers on your tail for sure, you'll need your wits about you....and weapons, lots of weapons.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

if they spotted something thats wrong like an abnormal growth or something like that would they have to tell u

if they spotted something thats wrong like an abnormal growth or something like that would they have to tell u

Yes, I remember a disclaimer along the lines that it wasn't a medical check but that I'd be told if something abnormal appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Thanks OP no dates available for January pity I missed out on it. I was going to pay to have this done ah well great for anyone who got a date.

Advertisement