Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal Road Trip Itinerary??

• 20-07-2020 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Hi there, looking for some local input.. I am thinking of a Donegal road trip for September.. objective is to visit beautiful beaches.. and nice places to walk in nature in general.. I would like to stay in quiet villages rather than big towns.. and maybe hike Errigal.. I will be coming from Sligo as gonna visit relatives there 1st... head up to Slieve League and go from there.. have been up around those parts a good few times but not in years.. I defo wanna go to Downings again.. and visit fab beaches where I can walk for ages.. been to a few before but can't rem the names of them.. think I will skip Malin Head - so any itinerary suggestions would be appreciated.. oh i'll also skip Bundoran and Rossnowleagh.. just think beaches and mountains and stay in some nice small places where I can get a bite to eat.. maybe even have a night cap and slept.. thanks in advance.. oh btw - thinking a week or so.. thanks (off the beaten paths are appreciated too) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Trá Mór best in Ireland bit of a slog but well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭sporina

Trá Mór best in Ireland bit of a slog but well worth it.

a slog, how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

sporina wrote: »
    a slog, how?

Not to be confused with Tramore beach in Downings, I think this refers to Tramore beach, Dunfanaghy.

Lovely walk over grassy dunes to a very isolated beach which you may well have completely to yourself.

Write-up here

Mind you, Downings is class anyway...

0lordy wrote: »
    Not to be confused with Tramore beach in Downings, I think this refers to Tramore beach, Dunfanaghy.

Lovely walk over grassy dunes to a very isolated beach which you may well have completely to yourself.

Write-up here

Mind you, Downings is class anyway...

thanks for that - these are the kind of places I like - off the beaten path..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

I was at Ballyhiernan beach in Fanad a few weeks ago for the first time. Beautiful long sandy beach and very few people on it. Close to Fanad lighthouse too which is worth a visit. Also Ballymastocker and Rathmullan are magnificent beaches in Fanad also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Downing’s beach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Rosbeg and Narin beaches are spectacular where you can walk out to the island when the tide goes out. You also have Dooey beach just north of there which is good for surfing. Fantastic local villages like Ardara too. Glenveagh National Park is spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

There are tons of beaches so no shortage there. As for off the beaten track I would recommend a hike up the miner's path on muckish, one of my favorite walks. It will take about a hour leisurely climb, taking in the views. Lough salt is another favourite of mine, easy walk with great views of the Derryveagh mountains.
    Check out the walks in Glenveagh national park plenty of good hiking options both on tracks or in hills. The Bridle path from Glandowan to the castle is an easy downhill jaunt but very scenic.

The whole south west of the county is still quite unspoilt I'm not sure how much will be open as a result of covid restrictions. I wouldn't be as familiar with that part of the county but there is great scenery and stunning walks.

Downing’s beach

A walk to the murder hole beach in Downings is well worth the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

joe40 wrote: »
    There are tons of beaches so no shortage there. As for off the beaten track I would recommend a hike up the miner's path on muckish, one of my favorite walks. It will take about a hour leisurely climb, taking in the views. Lough salt is another favourite of mine, easy walk with great views of the Derryveagh mountains.
    Check out the walks in Glenveagh national park plenty of good hiking options both on tracks or in hills. The Bridle path from Glandowan to the castle is an easy downhill jaunt but very scenic.

The whole south west of the county is still quite unspoilt I'm not sure how much will be open as a result of covid restrictions. I wouldn't be as familiar with that part of the county but there is great scenery and stunning walks.

I don't think the buses in Glenveagh are back running yet, so to do the Bridle Path (10k back to carpark) and Lough Inshagh walk (about 8k back to carpark I think) one way you'd need two cars. Both very easy, and absolutely stunning, so if you don't mind the mileage they're easy to do both ways.

Could you tell me where to start the Lough Salt walk? I'll be up in that area this week and next hopefully, always on the lookout for new territory (that's not hardcore cross-country hiking)
    A walk to the murder hole beach in Downings is well worth the effort.

same for this - where to start out from?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Donegal is generally off the beaten track anyway, so there's plenty of off-the-off-beaten-track places to go! North of glencolmcille you have a lonely road out to port, with the abandoned famine village, stony beach and sea stacks. Further round towards Ardara you have Assaranca waterfall, and the back road down the glen towards it (not glengesh) is stunning.
    Similarly you will get sea stacks, cliffs and great views on the back road to Maghery round the south part of Crohy head - A beautiful part of the world looking back across to the mountains of South Donegal

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I don't think the buses in Glenveagh are back running yet, so to do the Bridle Path (10k back to carpark) and Lough Inshagh walk (about 8k back to carpark I think) one way you'd need two cars. Both very easy, and absolutely stunning, so if you don't mind the mileage they're easy to do both ways.

Could you tell me where to start the Lough Salt walk? I'll be up in that area this week and next hopefully, always on the lookout for new territory (that's not hardcore cross-country hiking)

same for this - where to start out from?

Thanks!

To get to Lough salt, take a right turn about half a mile from The village of Kilmacrennan, heading towards Dunfanaghy. Follow this windy road for a few miles until you come to a large lake (Lough salt) it is actually the water supply for a large area.
    There should be parking area just before the lake. The walk is simply over Heather ground to the top of the hill overlooking the lake. The walk should take an hour at a leisurely pace, it is not difficult. Ground could be wet in places so decent boots will make it more enjoyable.
    I like the views, mountains to the west and sea views to the north.

The murder hole beach is bit more awkward to get to, best to go to Downings and get directions from there. There have been issues with Bulls in some fields in the past.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/watch-murder-hole-irelands-most-mysterious-secret-beach-35784240.html

gee thanks for all the replies..

ok I think I have enough names of beaches now and walks and driving areas..

what I now need is an itinerary... tis v hard for me to gauge.. (i'd love to play it by ear but with the virus etc I prob should book places - going in September).. like where to stay and for how long - can someone please advise? as I said I would prefer to stay in villages rather than towns - but towns are ok too if they make more sense.. cheap hotels or even a good hostel or BnBs if needs be..

So say, somewhere to stay before heading to Slieve League.. and then make my way up around the coast to Malin Head.. Culdaff Beach and then make my way back home (cork)..

I have about 6-7 nights to play with..
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

what I now need is an itinerary... tis v hard for me to gauge.. (i'd love to play it by ear but with the virus etc I prob should book places - going in September).. like where to stay and for how long - can someone please advise? as I said I would prefer to stay in villages rather than towns - but towns are ok too if they make more sense.. cheap hotels or even a good hostel or BnBs if needs be..

So say, somewhere to stay before heading to Slieve League.. and then make my way up around the coast to Malin Head.. Culdaff Beach and then make my way back home (cork)..

thanks in advance
    A night or two in the Nesbit Arms Hotel in Ardara well recommended, nice food in the evening too!

thanks in advance

Donegal town is very nice, good range of hotels. Then maybe Glenties/Ardara area to explore south west.

Maybe Dungloe to explore west of the county, again a few hotel options.

Dunfanaghy is very popular so could be busy, Shandon hotel is very nice.

Letterkenny is a ok town for bars restaurants and good hotel options. I would describe it as a functional town but not particularly touristy, still a good base for things like glenveagh.

I would stay in Buncrana as a base for visiting Inishowen.

With corona restrictions I don't really know what is open in terms of hospitality trade. Some of the booking websites might have more info.

I can't give detailed info on exact places to stay others might have better ideas.

Maybe just to add Downings and Rathmullan to the list of small towns with plenty of bars, restaurants, sightseeing, drives, etc. On the doorstep.

Maybe base yourself for two nights each in south/west, north, and then Inishowen.

Just saw this, looks interesting, must do it myself...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10221536982241329&id=1455216240

Technique wrote: »
    Maybe just to add Downings and Rathmullan to the list of small towns with plenty of bars, restaurants, sightseeing, drives, etc. On the doorstep.

Maybe base yourself for two nights each in south/west, north, and then Inishowen.

do you mean 2 nights in each of the following? south and south west? north and inishowen? if so - suggestions? so far thinking Ardara and Downings for sure and maybe Rathmullen

do you mean 2 nights in each of the following? south and south west? north and inishowen? if so - suggestions? so far thinking Ardara and Downings for sure and maybe Rathmullen

Yeah, maybe 2 nights in Ardara to see Sliabh Liag, Maghery, Glencolumbcille, Portnoo, Assaranca Waterfall etc. Then two nights in maybe Downings or Rathmullan to see the beaches in Fanad and the north coast. Maybe somewhere like Ballyliffen, Cudaff or Moville for two nights to discover Inishowen.

That would give a good taster of what Donegal has to offer without being too rushed. You could then return in the future to spend more time in whatever area you liked best.

Feel free to post any specific questions you have, you'll get some good advice on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

Ballybofey and Stranorlar can be a good base as it approx 1hr to everywhere in Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Two nice hotel options around narin / ardara, lakehouse hotel which is near the beach and golf course in Narin or nesbitt arms in ardara. Both are usually very reasonably priced, nesbitt arms has lot of restaurants and pubs nearby but area around lakehouse hotel is stunning and ideal for walks and cycles and the beach in Narin is incredible and nearby portnoo is beautiful too with a lovely harbour for swimming.
    Technique wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe 2 nights in Ardara to see Sliabh Liag, Maghery, Glencolumbcille, Portnoo, Assaranca Waterfall etc. Then two nights in maybe Downings or Rathmullan to see the beaches in Fanad and the north coast. Maybe somewhere like Ballyliffen, Cudaff or Moville for two nights to discover Inishowen.

That would give a good taster of what Donegal has to offer without being too rushed. You could then return in the future to spend more time in whatever area you liked best.

Feel free to post any specific questions you have, you'll get some good advice on this forum.

Well, thanks to posts in this thread I've visited Murder Hole Beach, Trá Mór near Dunfanaghy, and a host of other walks/beaches in the NW region in the last two weeks.

One more fabulous than the next, although I think Trá Mór might shade it for sheer spectacle - but it was a beautiful afternoon when I visited there, and a manky, freezing, windy afternoon for Murder Hole Beach, so maybe not a fair comparison!

My God, though, the Rossguill peninsula is some spot, the amount of beautiful beaches, cliffs and views is incredible.

I had intended to take a look at the walk at L. Salt today on the way home, but sped past the turn-off before I realised, so that'll have to wait for next time!

is Donegal really busy these days? i heard of loads of different people going up there for the long weekend and staying up this week etc

is Donegal really busy these days? i heard of loads of different people going up there for the long weekend and staying up this week etc

Seemed busy enough over the weekend but not overly so. Where I saw anyway. I don't know what the situation is with accommodation

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well, thanks to posts in this thread I've visited Murder Hole Beach, Trá Mór near Dunfanaghy, and a host of other walks/beaches in the NW region in the last two weeks.

One more fabulous than the next, although I think Trá Mór might shade it for sheer spectacle - but it was a beautiful afternoon when I visited there, and a manky, freezing, windy afternoon for Murder Hole Beach, so maybe not a fair comparison!

My God, though, the Rossguill peninsula is some spot, the amount of beautiful beaches, cliffs and views is incredible.

I had intended to take a look at the walk at L. Salt today on the way home, but sped past the turn-off before I realised, so that'll have to wait for next time!

Glad you had a good time. Perfect timing as well, persistent rain all day today, and not much better for tomorrow. Thats the chance you take with a staycation..

It was camper van central where I was! Reg's from all over, lots from Cork, Wexford, Limerick , places you'd never usually see vehicles from up that far north. Roads were fairly busy as well.

But while some beaches (eg Marble Hill) were absolutely jammers, some were near deserted. Loads of room for everyone up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

I spent the past week there traveling along the coast from Malin to Bundoran. No plan or bookings. No problem finding accommodation on arrival, in general. Reasonable prices too. Accommodation is scarce in the Gweedore region. Guesthouses I checked there were closed due to Covid. The tent was used that night. The whole county needs to be seen. Preferably in good weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

duffmann wrote: »
    I spent the past week there traveling along the coast from Malin to Bundoran. No plan or bookings. No problem finding accommodation on arrival, in general. Reasonable prices too. Accommodation is scarce in the Gweedore region. Guesthouses I checked there were closed due to Covid. The tent was used that night. The whole county needs to be seen. Preferably in good weather.

The Cuirt and Campbells are probably 2 of the largest hotels/guesthouses in the Gweedore area, and they didn't even bother opening this year with all the covid uncertainty. Bit surprised at the Cuirt, they'd have been booked out the last few weeks with the amount of northerners/tourists about, and also just to keep people going through the hotel, rooms cleaned, lights on, pool cleaned etc.

Don't want it to end up another seaview/ostan gweedore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Going to piggyback on this thread as need some recommendations of where to skip/visit as want to cover a fair bit of the county.

So please throw in any ideas, all extremely welcome.

Going to head to Donegal in the next couple of weeks, have left it late and not as much nice accomodation available as a few weeks back when looking into it but enough options.

Hoping to spend around 10 days/9nights there, starting in the south west around Killybegs area and travel up the coast and end it up around the Inishown Peninsula for 2 nights or so. While not looking to be constantly travelling, do want to chill a little, enjoy nice walks, visit some lovely beaches, a few drinks, bit of music, nice food etc. Aware some of the latter interests may not be as easy to partake in with Covid restrictions.

As I mentioned, the plan is to start off in the south west (based near Carrick/Kilcar) and spend 3 nights around Killybegs, Sliabh Liag, Glencolmcille, An Port. Is it worth going to Ardara or the Glenties while here for a daytrip.
    What about going to Portnoo or Nairn while based here also?
    Apart form Silver Strand, Muckross & Fintra beaches, any other particularly nice beaches around here?

After leaving the south west of the county, where should we head to? Should we go to Dungloe for a night?
    Or should we go on to Gweedore? Or is that worth a visit?

Or should we just keep driving and head up to Dunfanaghy/Downings/Creeslough for 3 days? Where up here would you recommend we base ourselves?
    Go to Glenveagh from here for a half/full day trip would be on the cards. Again looking to visit any nice beaches around here.
    Visiting Fanad is also another idea, could we do it from one of the above mentioned places?

After we leave somewhere like Dunfanaghy/Downings/Creeslough where would people recommend next? Is Rathmullan worth a visit/stay? Maybe get a ferry from Rathmullan to Buncrana?
    Or should we go down to Letterkenny for a night?

Landing in the Inishown Peninsula for our last two nights, apart from Malin Head & maybe Doagh Famine Village, where else would be worth visiting up around Inishowen Peninsula?
    Also where would be a nice place to base oneself, hoping to maybe stay somewhere a bit nicer towards the end?

Sorry there is a lot in my post, but so much to see in Donegal and it is such a large county.

So 3 nights in the south west of the county, 2 nights in the Inishown Peninsula, leaves 4 nights in between to stay in a couple more places possibly. Reason for 3 nights in the first destination is we will not get there till later afternoon so won't have much chance to explore too much.

All advice, tips, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much :)

Advertisement