Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI members vote for industrial action over Covid issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

A quick scan across social media shows you that people love to bash teachers, so what do they have to lose? Imagine looking for safe conditions for your members, the horror!

Yeah, so true. Text and call in radio shows have teacher issues on regular rota to get the permanently angry to send in messages. It's fodder for the masses.

Teachers I know want their school to stay open, teaching online was not as effective for learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

FTA69 wrote:
    Something tells me if bud drivers and supermarket workers went on strike you’d be giving out about that too.

I've no problem with teachers looking for more money and I could care less if they strike in normal circumstances. It's using covid as an excuse I find repulsive. The fact that they even discus it shows how out of touch with reality they are. Full pay & holidays throughout this emergency while others lose their jobs and businesses.

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A quick scan across social media shows you that people love to bash teachers, so what do they have to lose? Imagine looking for safe conditions for your members, the horror!

Its also about money.

The timing is bad when other people are losing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There would be no issue with these new entrants had the existing teachers not been happy to pull the ladder up behind them and shaft newbies in 2010..

Exactly this.
    The serving teachers ****ed over everyone coming into the profession from 2011 onwards.

They really didn't give two ****s about anyone coming down the line when they agreed to a 2 tier system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Its also about money.

The timing is bad when other people are losing their jobs.

The pay aspect is being brushed over on some media coverage. For example the news on Radio Nova. I wonder is that is intentional on their part. They always have a sound bite from SF or a left party (Murphy, Boyd Barrett, even Coppinger despite her being rejected by the electorate) so there is an obvious left leaning agenda from Radio Nova news.

As we see some teachers on here are doing the same with the ‘safe conditions’ claims.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Exactly this.
    The serving teachers ****ed over everyone coming into the profession from 2011 onwards.

They really didn't give two ****s about anyone coming down the line when they agreed to a 2 tier system.

That’s the beauty of being a teacher - they have rewritten the history books and edited out their part in this. They blame the government completely for this, as if the unions and membership played no part in it. You even see it in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Theyre some buachaills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I think this generation of teachers have been thoroughly shafted in comparison with their elder counterparts.

The same goes for nurses. The boomer generation who proclaim that the youngsters have it easy are far more well off and asset rich in their twilight years than those they preach to will be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

That’s the beauty of being a teacher - they have rewritten the history books and edited out their part in this. They blame the government completely for this, as if the unions and membership played no part in it. You even see it in this thread.
    Not sure what "history books" you read, but you need to find one that fits the facts.

Not sure what "history books" you read, but you need to find one that fits the facts.

Yeah right. Are you a teacher?

• Advertisement

Did teachers not vote for a 2 tier pay system to come into effect from 2011 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

No they didn’t

washman3 wrote: »
    Stick them on the dole from here to Christmas.
    That will soon soften their cough.
    What a bunch of selfish cnuts.

Strength in numbers I'm afraid, rest of us have to take a significant pay cut and suck it up. Teachers have disproportionate power in this country, and wield it ruthlessly. Imagine sitting on your hole with full salary for months. Almost zero sympathy for this strike action.

sitstill wrote: »
    No they didn’t

Can you elaborate please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Technically no. They did not.

However their unions threatened all manner of disruption and strikes when there was a threat of cuts. Then the plans changed so that future new entrants would bear the cuts instead. And the unions and existing teachers magically forgot about all that striking mallarky

Did the existing teachers vote for the two-tier system? - no they did not.

Did the existing teachers threaten strikes when they thought they would be cut? - yes they did
    Did they actually strike when the cuts were to be imposed mainly on new entrants leaving them relatively unscathed? - no they didn't.
    Would they have gone on strike had equal cuts been imposed across the board instead of being borne by the newbies? - you can make up your own mind.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Teachers looking for any reason to strike, using Covid to get pay increases for those hired post 2010

I cant agree, situations in schools are mental. No contact tracing in many schools, if 1 has it nobody is a close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

thomas 123 wrote: »
    I cant agree, situations in schools are mental. No contact tracing in many schools, if 1 has it nobody is a close contact.

Well that's a massive lie.

Head over to the teaching forum and read what the teachers are saying, it happened my own brother in school also, teacher confirmed, students were told by the teacher herself and not anyone in any official capacity. Again though dont take my word for it, read whats on boards as your first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's not though. I know a few teachers, and my partner works in a creche. Zero ppe allowed, shag all contact tracing and in some schools they won't even say in the event of a Covid confirmation they won't even say what year the kid is in.

I can't blame the teachers at all, their jobs are to teach and educate kids. They're not child miners. They're people with families who may be high risk, or they might be themselves.

• Advertisement

Any teacher who is high risk can go on covid leave.Its paid leave and doesn't effect their sick leave record.

No reason for any high risk teacher to be in a class room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

cmssjone wrote: »
    The unions should have done better due diligence on the agreement but missed the trap that the dept of education set.

Do you actually remember this or is this something the unions have told you since?
    The terms of the deal was well published, the fact new entrances where being scarified over existing staff was all over the news, unions were given opportunity to propose how the savings could be made, this was the reduction of existing staff pay, but no counter proposal to save the amount required was even discussed.
    It was also well publicised that the reason for not wanting to cut existing staff pay was those who had been paying their union dues the longest and now about to retire, would lose the most, however that was only a small bit off a very generous pension scheme but that trumped the new junior hires who actually needed that higher amount early in their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I heard a teachers union rep on the radio a couple of weeks ago going on how they were the only profession that were expected to go to work despite the pandemic....................

Source?

Snotty wrote: »
    Do you actually remember this or is this something the unions have told you since?
    The terms of the deal was well published, the fact new entrances where being scarified over existing staff was all over the news, unions were given opportunity to propose how the savings could be made, this was the reduction of existing staff pay, but no counter proposal to save the amount required was even discussed.
    It was also well publicised that the reason for not wanting to cut existing staff pay was those who had been paying their union dues the longest and now about to retire, would lose the most, however that was only a small bit off a very generous pension scheme but that trumped the new junior hires who actually needed that higher amount early in their career.

Source? I remember this and what you say is not how it happened

Any teacher who is high risk can go on covid leave.Its paid leave and doesn't effect their sick leave record.

No they can't.

No they can't.

Contact the dept of Education and they will tell you differently.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pringles123

Not correct. Teachers in the high risk categories are expected to work. Only very high risk teachers are getting sick leave approved.

Contact the dept of Education and they will tell you differently.

I'm a teacher. Only those deemed "very high risk" can work from home. High Risk must present in school

• Advertisement

On that note the very high risk grouping would likely not be working anyway!

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/people-at-higher-risk.html

Advertisement