Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mother and babies homes information sealed for 30 years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Antares35 wrote: »
    I see you've been reading back over your own posts :)

As low as this contribution is, I suspect you have not quite hit the bottom of the barrel yet... do go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Here's a PDF of the report from Councillor Chris Pender

https://twitter.com/ChrisPenderKE/status/1349501780569317378?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No, because you keep talking about a lack of evidence. You must think that's significant.

I am not talking about lack of evidence..

The report did mention that some claims could not be verified/proved..

Why is this difficult for you?

I am merely a poster. I had 0 to do with investigating the mother and baby homes..

I have already said that just because something g cannot be proved does not mean it did not happen. This applies to life..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

"The whole point of an investigation is to" WASH away the guilt of FF FG and CHURCH with Garda
    and judiciary support since 1920s.
    how many escape and dragged back by garda.
    today heard pathetic excuse of Approx " its the citizens fault due to the time it was".
    THE time was jackboot FF\FG with church and garda.
    just remember it was brave women of ireland whom by train brought in birth control
    and not overpaid ignorant\corrupt\liars and thieves GOVERNMENT politicians.
    Yet the irish citizens in full belief of the lies continue up to today in large numbers
    to support the FF and FG parties this through being kept ignorant and under the "boot"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It's Ireland.
    Have ye heard about the new children's hospital?

Where did the 20 million go too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

walshb wrote: »
    This is exactly why these discussions are pointless..

People like you shouting down any alternative view that is not as strong in its church bashing..

There is no balance with this...

Claiming I am supporting the church because I am not coming down on them as heavy as you?

I'm not shouting down any alternative view. I'm dismayed that people in this day and age could still defend the church or try to pass the blame.

Church apologists make me sick. It's beyond being an apologist. It's up there with being a holocaust denier.

jelem wrote: »
    "The whole point of an investigation is to" WASH away the guilt of FF FG and CHURCH with Garda
    and judiciary support since 1920s.
    how many escape and dragged back by garda.
    today heard pathetic excuse of Approx " its the citizens fault due to the time it was".
    THE time was jackboot FF\FG with church and garda.
    just remember it was brave women of ireland whom by train brought in birth control
    and not overpaid ignorant\corrupt\liars and thieves GOVERNMENT politicians.
    Yet the irish citizens in full belief of the lies continue up to today in large numbers
    to support the FF and FG parties this through being kept ignorant and under the "boot"..

I take it you can back this up?

Labeling men and women who gave their time and effort to producing this exhaustive report as doing so under nefarious means?

This the talk is what is wrong in society. Sullying peoples names and character..

These people were under direction from democratically elected parties on this island to whitewash this??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I am not talking about lack of evidence..

The report did mention that some claims could not be verified/proved..

Why is this difficult for you?

I am merely a poster. I had 0 to do with investigating the mother and baby homes..

I have already said that just because something g cannot be proved does not mean it did not happen. This applies to life..

The only difficulty I have is trying to understand how people can still support the church. It's a soft endorsement of everything they've done. I can only hope they'll be bred out eventually.

I'm not interested in your life lessons...I've a "quote a day" calendar on my desk deeper than your posts :D

Labeling men and women who gave their time and effort to producing this exhaustive report as doing so under nefarious means?

This the talk is what is wrong in society. Sullying peoples names and character..

Yes, defamation is a more pertinent and pressing concern right now than seeking justice for the women who survived this atrocity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What do you mean by "to themselves"?

If you mean that people must practice their religion in secret and never admit to it, then no.

If you mean that religions should not run, for the whole of society, stuff that should be provided by the government on a secular basis like the majority of public schools and public hospitals, then yes.

I believe in a pluralist society.

No of course I didn't mean in secret.

Organized religion is what I was getting at. Such that lead to mother baby homes.

I'm glad you believe in a pluralist society. Historically that was not the attitude and it certainly still isn't the attitude in Islamic counties to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭political analyst

Yes, defamation is a more pertinent and pressing concern right now than seeking justice for the women who survived this atrocity.

So it's OK to accuse innocent people? :rolleyes:

Well, you really have no standards or common decency with an attitude like this..

So it's OK to accuse innocent people? :rolleyes:

Did I say that?

Well, you really have no standards or common decency with an attitude like this..

Oh no, the Catholic church sympathiser has a low opinion of me.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'm not shouting down any alternative view. I'm dismayed that people in this day and age could still defend the church or try to pass the blame.

Church apologists make me sick. It's beyond being an apologist. It's up there with being a holocaust denier.

Nobody absolved the church for this.

Again, these type posts don’t do you any favours..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Without specifically taking a side here, two people experiencing the exact same event can come away with completely different perceptions of what happened, shaped by their personalities, experiences before this point, mood, opinions, personal involvement, etc. Humans aren't machines, everything is processed subjectively. It would be wrong to say one of them is a liar when they recount the event, even when the two descriptions aren't compatible, as both could be telling what they honestly believe to be true.

Saying the evidence doesn't support your experience is absolutely not the same as calling you a liar, or even stating that you're not telling what you know to be the truth.

I'm not looking for favours?

AllForIt wrote: »
    No of course I didn't mean in secret.

Organized religion is what I was getting at. Such that lead to mother baby homes.

I'm glad you believe in a pluralist society. Historically that was not the attitude and it certainly still isn't the attitude in Islamic counties to date.

Yes it was not the attitude, and it was wrong. I see no reason why various organised religions and those with no religion cant coexist in a country without stepping on each others toes or forcing or imposing their views on others.

Ok, then remove the question mark..

• Advertisement

These people were under direction from democratically elected parties on this island to whitewash this??

And can you prove that they weren't, I mean you don't accept anything without proof, how do you know what went on behind the scenes, you accept a report but have difficulty accepting evidence given by the women who experienced what went on first hand because there's no proof, unbelievable.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Without specifically taking a side here, two people experiencing the exact same event can come away with completely different perceptions of what happened, shaped by their personalities, experiences before this point, mood, opinions, personal involvement, etc. Humans aren't machines, everything is processed subjectively. It would be wrong to say one of them is a liar when they recount the event, even when the two descriptions aren't compatible, as both could be telling what they honestly believe to be true.

Saying the facts don't support your experience is absolutely not the same as calling you a liar, or even stating that you're not telling what you know to be the truth.

This sort of logic and sense isnt welcome here, you must be like, as another poster put it, a holocaust denier.

Ok, then remove the question mark..

What's with your constant asking people to change their posts, take things back and edit what they've said? Would you like us all to go away so that you can dictate the contents of the entire thread uninterrupted?

And can you prove that they weren't, I mean you don't accept anything without proof, how do you know what went on behind the scenes, you accept a report but have difficulty accepting evidence given by the women who experienced what went on first hand because there's no proof, unbelievable.

Oh, so I have to prove they weren’t?

Is this how it works..someone makes an allegation without proof, and I have to disprove the allegation...

Seriously....we’ll just leave it here..

What's with your constant asking people to change their posts, take things back and edit what they've said? Would you like us all to go away so that you can dictate the contents of the entire thread uninterrupted?

Constant?

I asked on poster to remove a nasty remark to me. And asked you to take back falsely saying that I called people liars..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Here's Simon McGarrs opinion on how these inquiries are little more than a cover up for the Church and State.
    https://twitter.com/Tupp_Ed/status/1349494794981142534?s=19

https://twitter.com/Tupp_Ed/status/1349505909735743488?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Jelem, dont post in this thread again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The only difficulty I have is trying to understand how people can still support the church. It's a soft endorsement of everything they've done. I can only hope they'll be bred out eventually.

I'm not interested in your life lessons...I've a "quote a day" calendar on my desk deeper than your posts :D
    Constant?

I asked on poster to remove a nasty remark to me. And asked you to take back falsely saying that I called people liars..

Mod

Bring it to PM and don't derail the thread with this petty squabbling or sanctions will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

This is a dishonest and unfair question.

Many many people gave evidence to this commission. How can I stand over the truth of claims made by other people? Many of which differ greatly and at times contradict one another? About stuff that happened a long time ago? There are claims and submissions by residents saying that the homes and nuns were nice and there was no abuse. Are you calling these people liars? I dont expect you to answer, how could you? You would have to investigate... like the commission did.

The whole point of an investigation is to establish, with evidence, the truth of a matter. It is not fair to rubbish an investigation because it did not find evidence for certain claims, by calling it a whitewash. Not is it fair to try and bully people for discussing the findings of the expert commission by accusing them, or implying, that they are slagging off vulnerable people as liars.

I would like to think that everyone who gave evidence did so honestly and to the best of their recollection. As to whether everything, good or bad, was true or not, I do not know, you do not know - this was why there was an investigation to find this out. The only thing we can say with confidence is what the facts and evidence are, thanks to the hard work of the commission.

Well you’ve changed your tune so, good to see that you can open your mind to the possibilities that the report is not the be all and end all because previously according to yourself if there was no evidence in the report it definitely didn’t happen.

Good to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Hold on..

Nobody knows the complete truth and facts here. Nobody..

There is far far too much involved...

For some of these commentators to label a 4000 page report as a whitewash because it didn’t give them exactly what they wanted is a disgrace.

Many good people gave many hours and hours of hard work and skills and determination and perseverance to produce this exhausting and detailed report..

Nobody is taking the women’s reaction with a pinch of salt. I absolutely conceded that there will be details in the report that are to be disagreed with, challenged and contested, and I don’t doubt the sincerity of the women doing this..

But you can see the flip side can’t you?

There are those that feel it definitely didn’t capture everything that’s happened and there are those who are relieved because their institutions came out of it only looking moderately evil when the potential was for so much worse.

When those defending an institution here basically saying “phew well there’s no evidence that women were physically forced to give up babies thank god for that” that the bottom of the barrel has been pretty much scraped out in honesty.

It’s quite contradictory to say well we can’t say for definite what happened and then say well no evidence of that so definitely didn’t happen, I think that’s what has people a bit riled in all honesty.

Its basic pshycology, deflect until they get fed up but dont answer.

When you look at the harrowing details in the report and then see the reactions of many defending the Catholic Church etc as to the accuracy of what’s in it “if it’s not in the report definitely didn’t happen” you can sense the relief they have in proclaiming that, it’s a sigh of relief almost, “ok that could have been worse” it does make you wonder what’s there to be relieved about?

Advertisement