Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,808 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

patsman07 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Anybody can be arrested in error. A (white) friend of mine had a baton drawn across his head outside a night club because he happened to be talking to someone who had stole a Garda's hat a few minutes earlier, was handcuffed, brought to the station and held for two hours.

Turning everything into a race issue is quickly becoming a bigger problem than actual racism.

I've been driving almost twenty years. I've encountered the Gardai on the road around 20 times, checkpoints etc. I'd say at least five out of the twenty times, the particular Garda I encountered was arrogant & impolite. I drove away from those encounters thinking 'he was a dick.' If I were black, in the current climate, I'd be thinking 'he was a racist.'

The point is if you were black it would more likely be multiples of 20 times

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

But the whole BLM bull**** movement is about exactly that and it's an attack against white people.

I tell you for a fact if I went out tomorrow an done up a sign white lives matter.... I'd be attacked.

That witch Beyoncé calling her new album Black is King. If a white performer called their next album White is King they’d have no career left after the woke gobsh1tes were finished with them.

All of these insincere, disingenuous @rseholes apologising for voicing CARTOON characters of different ethnicity and the idiot Florence Pugh saying sorry for wearing cornrows in her hair as a teenager.

Fcuking madness. The media are to blame for much of this. They’re giving this wanton stupidity credence and validity instead of dismissing it as the laughable, pointless virtue signaling it is.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

ELM327 wrote: »
    BLM is a racist, black supremacy movement. Same as the KKK is a white supremacy movement.

Mod: Think of this as preventative modding.

Couching this as a logical argument isn't going to cut it here - you can not possibly equate the two. This is a dumb comparison that I will consider trolling if you make it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Ah BLM, Grade-A charlatans.
    2,800 African Americans murdered in the US in 2016, 2,500 of these by other African Americans. Not a peep out of BLM.
    Who will suffer most when police forces are disbanded? Residents of deprived communities.
    When you donate to BLM, where does the money go? Democratic candidates. Also why do BLM get active in 2016 and 2020? Election years was it?
    The B-on-B homicide rates there are shocking, yet just handfulls of crooked white cops control the narrative.
    A similar pattern is emmerging in the uk, but with a certain ideology +300% prison population representation (and rising), compared to the general population.

Poverty is the given default excuse, but a 4/5yr sensible slog for a degree is such an unattractive proposition when idols are often rappers, 'distribution entrepreneurs in flash cars' or TV sports stars. Of which there is only room for a very few. Throw in the mix of high single parent rates, and pressure upon females against independent study, travel and work in many ethnic communites.

Besides the billionaires fiscally supporting the BLM/Dem cause, there is some suggestion that China is also now backing this.
    Feeling the rath of the Dealmaker's Trade deals, they would love to see a civil war erupt across the West, and sleepy Joe would be a softer option for them.
    China has it's own 'methods' of dealing with ethnic groups, which is rarely called out. India too, with it's cast system should be of international attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

BLM are not a good representation of their namesake, I had no time for them when they stormed the stage of a Bernie Sanders address and grabbed the mic of the old man demanding they give them the stage or they will shut down the event and I have not time for them as enter private gated property because they passed it and thought it looked like a nice house they wanted to destroy, at least the home owners were willing to fight back.

When a group says among its goals are "to dismantling capitalism and the patriarchal system, disrupting the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure" you know you are not dealing with sound minded people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,368 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: Think of this as preventative modding.

Couching this as a logical argument isn't going to cut it here - you can not possibly equate the two. This is a dumb comparison that I will consider trolling if you make it again.

The logical argument is that BLM are not the peaceful protesters they are being made out to be. They are looting, burning, blocking off areas, attacking the police etc.

I retract the KKK comparison and will not reference it again. I appreciate the preventative moderating.

But I do not retract a post highlighting the hypocrisy of a white woman giving the finger to a black cop in the name of black lives matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

BLM is not a civil rights movement, it's a movement with a political agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Gosh people are depressing.

1. Saying "All Lives Matter" puts you in the company of some pretty unsavory people. Its dismissive at best - why are you threatened by marginalised people asking to be treated with decency and respect? If you really believe that all human life matters, you'd see BLM as simply stating the obvious.
    2. What BLM are trying to get across is that its not that you can't be white and have a hard life. Its that your life hasn't been made harder by virtue of the colour of your skin.
    3. Its hard to fully understand someone elses lived experience, especially if its fundamentally different than your own. But that doesn't mean that its not true or that its something to be dismissive about.

Black Lives Matter is simply seeking to challenge prejudice and create more equal outcomes - fundamentally whats wrong with that?

SozBbz wrote: »
    Gosh people are depressing.

1. Saying "All Lives Matter" puts you in the company of some pretty unsavory people. Its dismissive at best - why are you threatened by marginalised people asking to be treated with decency and respect? If you really believe that all human life matters, you'd see BLM as simply stating the obvious.
    2. What BLM are trying to get across is that its not that you can't be white and have a hard life. Its that your life hasn't been made harder by virtue of the colour of your skin.
    3. Its hard to fully understand someone elses lived experience, especially if its fundamentally different than your own. But that doesn't mean that its not true or that its something to be dismissive about.

Black Lives Matter is simply seeking to challenge prejudice and create more equal outcomes - fundamentally whats wrong with that?
    I fundamentally disagree with the creation of equal outcomes.
    I support the creation of equal opportunities. This is different, and an important distinction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equality_of_outcome#Comparing_equalities:_outcome_vs._opportunity

That witch Beyoncé calling her new album Black is King. If a white performer called their next album White is King they’d have no career left after the woke gobsh1tes were finished with them.

All of these insincere, disingenuous @rseholes apologising for voicing CARTOON characters of different ethnicity and the idiot Florence Pugh saying sorry for wearing cornrows in her hair as a teenager.

Fcuking madness. The media are to blame for much of this. They’re giving this wanton stupidity credence and validity instead of dismissing it as the laughable, pointless virtue signaling it is.

You sound like an angry man.

Beyonce also had a song called "Run the Word, Girls". Does that mean that women now run the world because of a song? And yes, replaceing the word Girls, with boys/men would sound wrong, but typically you don't need to empower those who are already on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Right,

I have just read this article, and to be honest, either it is Really badly worded, or it is telling us to keep quiet and know our place.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-misconceptions-behind-the-white-lives-matter-banner-12013727

Can someone clarify the meaning of this for us normal people?
    I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how you got that from the article and accompanying video.

That's pretty selective quoting really, the addition of the word "or" by the OP gives it a whole different meaning.

I fundamentally disagree with the creation of equal outcomes.
    I support the creation of equal opportunities. This is different, and an important distinction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equality_of_outcome#Comparing_equalities:_outcome_vs._opportunity

I'll stick wtih outcomes, thanks.

I'd like outcomes where my black friends and colleagues don't get extra hassle at airports, don't get pulled over more often, aren't subject to sly comments that start with "I'm not a racist but...". Those outcomes are important.

This is a great distinction relied upon by those who actually don't want equality.

Why are you so threatened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

You sound like an angry man.

Beyonce also had a song called "Run the Word, Girls". Does that mean that women now run the world because of a song? And yes, replaceing the word Girls, with boys/men would sound wrong, but typically you don't need to empower those who are already on top.
    ??? Angry? Nope. I notice this is a default conclusion leapt to by certain posters on here to dismiss and demean their fellow posters without crossing the line of “ attacking the poster” and incurring the wrath of the report button.

What a ridiculous analogy you’ve used with the run the World song. I presume you must agree with the rest of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

IF BLM wants us to believe that they're only for equality then they are their supporters in the media can drop the phony outrage whenever someone dares says "White Lives Matter" or "All Lives Matter."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

I assumed that Black Lives Matter originally meant "as well", not "only". It can't really be said that American society at large has historically appeared to give as much of a sh*t when black people are killed by cops or overdose on drugs, or even when black kids go missing (how many black milk carton kids were there?), vs those same things happening to white people. It came across as a simple appeal to be seen as equal.

Dave Chappelle did a good bit on it where he compared the crack epidemic among blacks to the opioid epidemic among whites, and questioned why the former was treated as a criminal problem whereas there is at least an awareness of a health problem in the latter case. Why the disparity of public sympathy?

White Lives Matter is a clear reaction to BLM. I don't think anyone was mistaken enough to believe that white lives didn't matter before, except the usual crowd who believe that [insert western city] will be 90 percent Muslim within a decade.

I'd like outcomes where my black friends and colleagues don't get extra hassle at airports, don't get pulled over more often, aren't subject to sly comments that start with "I'm not a racist but...". Those outcomes are important.

This is a great distinction relied upon by those who actually don't want equality.

The distinction is there so that everyone is given the same chances, but only those who earn them on merit, receive the best outcome.

Not everyone can be the director, the highest paid, etc. Some people have to sweep the floor, do the minimum wage job etc

I tell you for a fact if I went out tomorrow an done up a sign white lives matter.... I'd be attacked.

Yeah, and if you don't understand why then there's no talking to you.

Regardless of your opinion of the BLM movement and the actions of it's members, no one should have a problem with the phrase 'Black lives matter'. It's the absolute definition of white privilege, that the statement 'Black lives matter' makes you feel as though the significance of your life is being left out. That you feel that it implies that your life doesn't matter. Because you're used to the idea of mattering, and being counted, and that equality means getting exactly as much attention as everyone else.

'All lives matter'/'white lives matter' is meaningless, because across this country these facts are already assumed. 'Black lives matter' highlights the fact that black lives are not thought about in the same way as white lives, that being black is seen as different, that when people talk about norms they don't include the experience of black people and that black people are not generally represented politically, legally or in the media in the same way that white people are. To hear 'black lives matter' and reply with 'all/white lives matter', is to dismiss racism. It's taking that phrase and erasing black people from it. Erasing their voice and their identity. That's racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

All Lives Matter.
    I'm not putting anyone in a special place for privilege or for discrimination. BLM is a racist, black supremacy movement. Same as the KKK is a white supremacy movement.

Its an equality movement, all they are looking for is black lives to matter as much as white lives already do.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its an equality movement, all they are looking for is black lives to matter as much as white lives already do.
    Well then they should say so, "all lives matter".

What a bizarre interpretation of what equality of outcome is.

• Advertisement

How so?

I work in IT, and have done for almost 20 years.

Explain how Tiny my reality really is!!

Ok here goes, but first I will need you to answer some questions.

1) How many black people do you know?
    2) How many black people are there?

Divide one into the other to get your answer.

??? Angry? Nope. I notice this is a default conclusion leapt to by certain posters on here to dismiss and demean their fellow posters without crossing the line of “ attacking the poster” and incurring the wrath of the report button.

What a ridiculous analogy you’ve used with the run the World song. I presume you must agree with the rest of my post.

OK, you're not angry but yet you like to refer to people you couldn't possibly know as a Witch, and littering your post with misspelled curse words so you can avoid the Boards censoring them for you.... Sure.

Sounds like people call you angry a lot.... can't all be wrong.

Also, great argument - telling me my analogy is ridiculous but giving no reason as to why you think so.... let me guess, you're one of those people who like to make statements and then finish the sentence with the word "FACT!", thinking you've made a killer argument? I'll tell you why its not ridiculous - both are about empowering groups who have historically faced prejudice.

Don't assume I agree with anything you've said, its highly unlikely.

How does that draw attention to the fact that currently, black lives demonstrably don't matter as much as white lives do?

What do you think needs to change for lives other than black lives to make them matter more? Is it even possible to make white lives matter more? Who is suppressing your white lives at the moment?

Here's another way of looking at it.
    If you say "Coke is great", does that mean that all other drinks are somehow less great?
    Should Pepsi and others be up in arms that you are somehow putting them down?

The BLM movement is explicitly *not* saying that BLM more or WLM less, they are just trying to draw attention to the fact that BLM. Unfortunately they need to do this because they live in a society that frequently tells and shows them that BLDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The reality in a lot of countries across the world in that lives don't matter - from modern day slavery, child exploitation, women trafficking, poverty, famine, war across all races and cultures. I'd rather raise my flags for these causes than fight political semantics with groups of angry young men.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Baffled by those thinking carrying around "white lives matter" signs won't garner a negative reaction.

It would be akin to bringing "Protestant lives matter" banners down the bogside and falls road in the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yeah, and if you don't understand why then there's no talking to you.

Regardless of your opinion of the BLM movement and the actions of it's members, no one should have a problem with the phrase 'Black lives matter'. It's the absolute definition of white privilege, that the statement 'Black lives matter' makes you feel as though the significance of your life is being left out. That you feel that it implies that your life doesn't matter. Because you're used to the idea of mattering, and being counted, and that equality means getting exactly as much attention as everyone else.

'All lives matter'/'white lives matter' is meaningless, because across this country these facts are already assumed. 'Black lives matter' highlights the fact that black lives are not thought about in the same way as white lives, that being black is seen as different, that when people talk about norms they don't include the experience of black people and that black people are not generally represented politically, legally or in the media in the same way that white people are. To hear 'black lives matter' and reply with 'all/white lives matter', is to dismiss racism. It's taking that phrase and erasing black people from it. Erasing their voice and their identity. That's racism.

Bizarre post at best....

It's not racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

briany wrote: »
    Dave Chappelle did a good bit on it where he compared the crack epidemic among blacks to the opioid epidemic among whites, and questioned why the former was treated as a criminal problem whereas there is at least an awareness of a health problem in the latter case. Why the disparity of public sympathy?
    The first was by personal choice, gang association and social/peer pressure and so on.

The 2nd was through medication, as an actual remedy for actual health issues, pushed via big pharma (since penalised for). When the oxy-medicine was pulled from folks with bad backs etc, they're weren't offered any remedy other than cold turkey, or to turn the black market, to resolve physical pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why? To placate idiots that don't understand the message, or worse, placate idiots that understand the message perfectly well but want to twist it to suit their own agenda anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Who's giving them extra hassle at airports..the black guy/cop/official searching/questioning them...because that's my mainly my experience in American airports at least.
    As for sly racist comments...happens both ways..and how do you plan to regulate for that..set up a reeducatlon camp.The entitled bleating from race hustlers and the shameless manipulation of white guilt certainly won't help with that one

Advertisement