Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honor Wifi 6 / AX router

Options
  • 29-10-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

£49.95 GBP (discount of £30).
    UK delivery address required. Accepted my Parcelmotel address.

On offer for another 2 days from here:
    https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-router-3

Great price for a Wifi 6 / AX router IMHO.
    Note it's not a modem, so you'll need to retain your existing one.
    Review here:
    expertreviews: Honor Router 3

Not going to outperform €200+ routers, but make a good addition particularly for newer phones and laptops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i had my eye on xiaomi ax1800 which is around 60GBP price.
    this honor router looks similar specs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Is that based on anything concrete?
    I've had a little search there and all I can see is reports of US and EU investigators looking for backdoors and spyware but not finding anything.

That was posted by someone who uses an Android phone and claims to know about privacy. Safely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Hmm... PS5 is Wifi 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Damoedge wrote: »
    If you want your privacy to be 100% protected I wouldn't go near honor or Huawei.
    I'd be hoping in times to come as these are so cheap there will be custom firmware available.
    In the meantime I'll be running behind PiHole and using more as an access point rather than my primary router. Cheap enough to have a play with!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

I'm with Eir so have one of their crappy routers. I live in a 3 storey house and wifi reception is crap in our top bedroom. I have sky q box and got one of their mini booster things but doest do much to improve WiFi..... Would one of these improve WiFi to top bedroom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Grabbed one to see if it can improve wifi in the house over a Virgin Media Hub 3.

From what i have seen, it would perhaps fit the bill nicely.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/honor-router-3-3792972/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Baggly wrote: »
    Grabbed one to see if it can improve wifi in the house over a Virgin Media Hub 3
    Exactly the same here. Fed up of dealing with Virgin support suggesting I disconnect and reconnect every device I have!

Thanks for the heads up Zilog, fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Grabbed one to see if it can improve wifi in the house over a Virgin Media Hub 3.

From what i have seen, it would perhaps fit the bill nicely.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/honor-router-3-3792972/

That review only shows 5 devices connected to it. If you have multiples of that then this might not be the answer. Might be better sitting tight till 6E rolls out

Davy wrote: »
    That review only shows 5 devices connected to it. If you have multiples of that then this might not be the answer. Might be better sitting tight till 6E rolls out

That is true the screen only shows 5 devices - but its compatible with 4 on 2.5Ghz and 16 on 5Ghz so ill give it a shot and if it doesnt meet muster it will be going back.

Given my Virgin hub can only handle 8, i guessing this is going to be an upgrade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Would this be suitable for a mesh set up (it mentions it can pair two together?)

I'm think of getting one for the house and putting the second in the garage were wifi is very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

godtabh wrote: »
    Would this be suitable for a mesh set up (it mentions it can pair two together?)

I'm think of getting one for the house and putting the second in the garage were wifi is very poor.

Was interested in this aspect as well,it may be a cheap alternative to other mesh systems plus each router would have 4 available gigabit ports

The article below says that you can link up to 5 routers in a single network but no mention of performance and hand off abilities
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Honor-Router-3-Fast-Wi-Fi-6-Plus-router-announced.482446.0.html

Very tempted to get a second to create a mesh network, but no...will resist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Very tempted to get a second to create a mesh network, but no...will resist.

I just bought two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

godtabh wrote: »

considering this would be mesh (via wireless), would it not depend on the wifi signal transmitted from your home router into your garage?

considering this would be mesh (via wireless), would it not depend on the wifi signal transmitted from your home router into your garage?

I dont know. I assumed they would be different networks

My plan is to disable the wifi on my Virgin hub, plug in the router to the hub via LAN (so that the router is transmitting via wifi), and then connect the router to the second router. The pairing process is relatively painless, i think....https://www.gearbest.com/blog/how-to/how-to-connect-huawei-ax3-router-with-other-huawei-or-honor-router-12521

I understand mesh networks are better for spots like the garage mentioned, so it would make more sense, i think. I say this as if ive gotten the second one....resistance....crumbling....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Would this be an upgrade to the Archer C7 I currently use with my VM modem?

Not sure if it makes sense for me, but same product comes in a bundle from Honor Germany (with 'free' headphones).

I looked at it, and forwarding the postage from Germany would probably come in at an additional 15-20 euro, so UK site is still cheaper - but then you get the headphones from Germany, so if thats of interest, there you go!

https://www.hihonor.com/germany/product/honor-router-3

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Well isn't that great for you, give yourself a pat on your back there.

You shouldn't be telling people to "safely ignore" a statement when you are not educated enough to understand what the statement means. Also being negative on here is not very helpful and I suggest you keep your negativity and your assumptions to yourself instead of trying to make yourself feel good for ten seconds by posting stupid comments like "Android phone user claims....... safely ignore"

Sorry but the NSA (Good old USA) has been spying on everyone for years. Nothing and I mean nothing on the internet is private. And all the crap about China spying is rich coming from the US considering what they have been proven to be doing (Snowdon). Maybe they just don't want to share. U want privacy, send a letter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Damoedge

Sorry but the NSA (Good old USA) has been spying on everyone for years. Nothing and I mean nothing on the internet is private. And all the crap about China spying is rich coming from the US considering what they have been proven to be doing (Snowdon). Maybe they just don't want to share. U want privacy, send a letter.....

Yes of course we all know that and I do agree with you 100%. We all agree to terms and conditions when creating a Google account which will involve the collecting of data and sending it to Google servers, same with Microsoft and most others.

What I do not agree with is buying a brand new Huawei phone or router, unlock the bootloader and phone and having a good look around inside to see what's running before you even install anything on to it and you find lots of softwares and apps connecting to servers back in China sending data. That's before you install Google or anything else. I certainly did not agree to that!

Huawei blocked all unlocking of bootloaders on there phones and routers a few years ago, I wonder why?
    Maybe to stop people finding out exactly what data is being sent back to China by your phone or router. The ongoing investigation with Huawei didn't come from nothing you know.

Do your research and you will see.

I for one will never buy a Huawei phone and certainly not a router, but if you do buy one just don't use any online banking or use PayPal if you don't want to learn the hard way 6 months time.

• Advertisement

Damoedge wrote:
    I for one will never buy a Huawei phone and certainly not a router, but if you do buy one just don't use any online banking or use PayPal if you don't want to learn the hard way 6 months time.

Huawei phone for 4 years. Bank and PayPal on it. No issues. If something untoward happens I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Yes of course we all know that and I do agree with you 100%. We all agree to terms and conditions when creating a Google account which will involve the collecting of data and sending it to Google servers, same with Microsoft and most others.

What I do not agree with is buying a brand new Huawei phone or router, unlock the bootloader and phone and having a good look around inside to see what's running before you even install anything on to it and you find lots of softwares and apps connecting to servers back in China sending data. That's before you install Google or anything else. I certainly did not agree to that!

Huawei blocked all unlocking of bootloaders on there phones and routers a few years ago, I wonder why?
    Maybe to stop people finding out exactly what data is being sent back to China by your phone or router. The ongoing investigation with Huawei didn't come from nothing you know.

Sorry I'm not talking about Google never even mentioned it,I'm talking about the NSA which is the US Government spying on all internet traffic. So I see very little difference if it's the US or China spying on my info. And it has been proven without doubt that the US is spying on everyone on the internet

Go on so. Give us some examples of where people using Huawei phones or routers have had their bank accounts cleared out.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Damoedge

Go on so. Give us some examples of where people using Huawei phones or routers have had their bank accounts cleared out.

I had 3 years ago to the value of 2400 from someone in China and luckily enough my bank and PayPal recognised they were illegal transactions and got my money back and before you ask how I know it was China well the items bought using my money were delivered to an address in China.

Is that good enough for you?

I don't consider it was a coincidence having bought a Huawei phone 1 month prior to this!

So please don't try and make out I'm stupid in this regard, you don't know what it feels like the moment you find out!

I had 3 years ago to the value of 2400 from someone in China and luckily enough my bank and PayPal recognised they were illegal transactions and got my money back and before you ask how I know it was China well the items bought using my money were delivered to an address in China.

Is that good enough for you?

I don't consider it was a coincidence having bought a Huawei phone 1 month prior to this!

So please don't try and make out I'm stupid in this regard, you don't know what it feels like the moment you find out!

What an extraordinary coincidence! I asked for examples and you had personal experience. What are the odds? And you were the only person it happened to! You must be very unlucky.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the offer has been extended.

I have a feeling this item will be on offer for a good while to get it off the ground.

Im delighted there is a chance i will get my first one, see if it does the job by itself, and potentially could get the second one if i need it under the offer too.

Enough of the **** talking.

Mine two are due delivery tomorrow. Be moving house in a couple weeks as will really be put to the test then.

Order arrived with Parcel Motel....now we play the waiting game

• Advertisement

Order arrived with Parcel Motel....now we play the waiting game

Mines been delivered but nothing from PM yet

Advertisement