Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainee IT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

The same ‘job’ is listed under miultiple towns /cities, you have to pay for the course up front - they say they will refund if you are not placed.

Smells fishy to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

It does seem a bit too good to be true. That's a lot of content for £895 which covers three years training? I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of hidden extras there. Also the ComptTIA A+ exam is desktop support. I'm not sure you can go into a cyber security role just after two years of desktop support although it's true that IT security people are in high demand at the moment.

There are plenty of resources and course materials available on the web. Someone could follow these and do the A+ exam themselves for a lot less. There are many disciplines within IT: desktop support, network & server administration, network engineering, security (technical), security (management), database administration, programming, cloud technologies (e.g. MS Azure, Google Cloud, AWS etc), so chasing a security certification might not be the way to go for someone who hasn't been exposed to any of the IT areas yet. There might be something they'd like better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Unless there is something like Springboard paying 90%+ in the background (and there is no mention of it so it seems unlikely) this seems way too good to be true.

Unfortunately it's a natural result of the devaluation of education that came from giving away a Leaving Cert to everyone in the audience. Now there will be lots of money to be made cashing in on the generation who believe you just have to turn up and get the qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Comerman

I guessed the old saying "if something is too good to be true then it usually is' :-)) thanks for the replies folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

AWS and Azure are really starting to kick off now and salaries are great.

All the training material should be free online and can book exam yourself when ready for 150 quid.

If you have no experience in IT might be better off starting with some of the comptia ones.

But you really need to decide what area you want to get into, programming,databases, infrastructure and servers, networking, cloud etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Comerman

AWS and Azure are really starting to kick off now and salaries are great.

All the training material should be free online and can book exam yourself when ready for 150 quid.

If you have no experience in IT might be better off starting with some of the comptia ones.

But you really need to decide what area you want to get into, programming,databases, infrastructure and servers, networking, cloud etc.

It's for my son so I'll have a word in his shell

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Dodgy as can be. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Comerman wrote: »
    It's for my son so I'll have a word in his shell

LinuxAcademy does Azure and AWS training for about €40 per month.

Advertisement