Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan/Louth border

Options
  • 10-10-2017 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Wonder if anyone can settle an argument. My girlfriend states there is a point in Ireland where counties Cavan & Louth meet. I disagree..... anyone able to shed light on the topic.

P.S. she is from Cavan, I'm from Louth......just for posterity!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Wonder if anyone can settle an argument. My girlfriend states there is a point in Ireland where counties Cavan & Louth meet. I disagree..... anyone able to shed light on the topic.

P.S. she is from Cavan, I'm from Louth......just for posterity!

Nope....tell her she's wrong....and take some pleasure in it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

its one of a few places in ireland where people imagine that two counties shopuld border but actually dont because there accents are somewhat similar and may have a slightly similar culture. its usually places that are not far apart but actually dont touch. kingscourt to louth border i would guess is only about 5-6 miles.places like roscommon and cavan would be the same actually not far away maybe 12 miles at closest point and have a shared culture but actually dont border. lietrim and westmeath would be another. A very common mistake is that Laois and westmeath border because of there close shared culture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

At their closest point, they're about 6km apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i was thinking that alright but wouldnt be down that direction much

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

While the four counties Louth, Cavan, Monaghan and Meath are very close in the Kingscourt area previous posters are correct, Louth and Cavan have no border

• Advertisement
Advertisement