Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is anyone this stupid? (Astrology)

Options
  • 21-07-2019 11:14pm

I am open-minded about ghosts, or not ghosts exactly, but some kind of phenomenon where there is a connection between death and life. I wouldn't go so far as subscribing any particular religion, but I'm open-minded. I'm saying that so you know that this is not the rant of some New Atheist basement-dweller who wears a Richard Dawkins tee-shirt on the beach.

Nevertheless, astrology? People are still pursuing that? It's become extremely popular among people in the 18 - 25 age category.

And now there's a new app called THE PATTERN which has exploded in popularity, due to its supposed exactness in describing your current life and your personality. The app asks for exact date of birth, place of birth, and time of birth -- oh and a minor detail, it also accesses your Facebook profile, and presumably is capable of reading other aspects of your daily online activity.

The app came into the news this week because an alleged actor called Channing Tatum was "furious" about how accurate it was, and demanded to know the mysterious machinations of this miracle app (I'm sure no money changed hands... )

I won't even provide a link because that's clickbait you don't need.

My bottom line is, how are people this stupid? How are people apparently so oblivious to the bleedin obvious when it comes to horoscopes, data mining, and endorsements by former celebrities?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its almost as stupid as the people who get upset about it.

Your Face wrote: »
    Its almost as stupid as the people who get upset about it.
    The app is apparently being spoken about as the new Snapchat, or instagram. It's something that is capable of exerting real influence on people, especially the youngest adult generation, who seem unusually interested in astrology.

I'm not upset, I'm bemused that such a tech-savvy generation are taken-in by ordinary data mining, and a contrived news story involving a celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

I am open-minded about ghosts, or not ghosts exactly, but some kind of phenomenon where there is a connection between death and life. I wouldn't go so far as subscribing any particular religion, but I'm open-minded. I'm saying that so you know that this is not the rant of some New Atheist basement-dweller who wears a Richard Dawkins tee-shirt on the beach.

Nevertheless, astrology? People are still pursuing that? It's become extremely popular among people in the 18 - 25 age category.

And now there's a new app called THE PATTERN which has exploded in popularity, due to its supposed exactness in describing your current life and your personality. The app asks for exact date of birth, place of birth, and time of birth -- oh and a minor detail, it also accesses your Facebook profile, and presumably is capable of reading other aspects of your daily online activity.

The app came into the news this week because an alleged actor called Channing Tatum was "furious" about how accurate it was, and demanded to know the mysterious machinations of this miracle app (I'm sure no money changed hands... )

I won't even provide a link because that's clickbait you don't need.

My bottom line is, how are people this stupid? How are people apparently so oblivious to the bleedin obvious when it comes to horoscopes, data mining, and endorsements by former celebrities?

I prefer the word "gullible" as opposed to "stupid".....but that's just me.
    In answer to your question, my stance is that maybe they buy into it because they are 'lost' in a sense, and horoscopes etc. brings them some sort of confirmation or even hope that things will be OK. Some people can actually apply whatever they read to their lives because they so desperately want to believe what they have read. Just my tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,238 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My bottom line is, how are people this stupid?

I haven't even heard of the thing your on about but the vast majority of people I know who read horoscopes don't take them seriously.
    It goes in one ear and out the other and if something comes true they might make a joke of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,093 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Many do take them seriously though.

Amazing that everything said in a single horoscope can apply to 1/12th of the population.

The world is full of very gullible people who believe in things despite zero evidence that they work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

And now there's a new app called THE PATTERN which has exploded in popularity, due to its supposed exactness in describing your current life and your personality. The app asks for exact date of birth, place of birth, and time of birth -- oh and a minor detail, it also accesses your Facebook profile, and presumably is capable of reading other aspects of your daily online activity...

So does it work if you dont have a FB page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Just the dumbing down of society, should be no surprise - Astrology books have always outsold Astronomy books by about 3:1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

People who read them as entertainment don't bother me, but I cannot abide people who take it seriously. The worst experience I had was when I went for counselling and the counsellor, a registered psychologist, started talking to me about the alignment of the planets based on the day I was born etc. I mean, I struggled so much to bring myself to seek help in the first place, and I actually liked the woman and felt I could work with her on my issues, then at my third appointment she starts this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You're a Leo aren't you OP, it's obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im not into astrology myself but wouldnt judge anyone who is.

That said, out of all the people who read horoscopes and download apps associated with them only a small fraction actually take them seriously, for the majority its a bit of entertainment, no different to downloading the faceapp or the daily horoscope subscription on facebook that nearly everyone in that age category used about 10 years ago.
    No matter what app you download onto your phone its collecting all your data so whats the difference?

• Advertisement

You're a Leo aren't you OP, it's obvious.
    Scorpio!
    Im not into astrology myself but wouldnt judge anyone who is.
    Maybe I should have emphasised this more -- nor do I.

But when you're giving permissions for an app to access your other apps like Facebook, WhatsApp, or Chrome? And then act surprised when their reading is surprisingly detailed? Jaysis, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Although sceptical about Astrology the amount of Taurus people I've encountered who've been absolute c**ts is uncanny, they seem to be all self-absorbed, short-fused and ignorant, used to work in a job where you'd see customers birth-date on a screen and late April/May was a constant, used to even guess it was the case then see it confirmed on the screen afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

dd973 wrote: »
    Although sceptical about Astrology the amount of Taurus people I've encountered who've been absolute c**ts is uncanny, they seem to be all self-absorbed, short-fused and ignorant, used to work in a job where you'd see customers birth-date on a screen and late April/May was a constant, used to even guess it was the case then see it confirmed on the screen afterwards.

What star signs were your favourite? I can't say I've ever noticed a pattern of star signs and associated personality traits. Mind you I've never thought about it, nor do I know what each sign is supposed to be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Astrology is like all superstition to me- bs. That includes religion- I love how people can make exceptions for their own beliefs...

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Astrology is like all superstition to me- bs. That includes religion- I love how people can make exceptions for their own beliefs...

Yeah, but once you've experienced a different level of existence atheists just seem small minded and arrogant..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Yeah, but once you've experienced a different level of existence atheists just seem small minded and arrogant..

Im sure people could say the same for astrology

Then again there is Facebook groups that believe piss cures cancer (not the starsign)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

[QUOTE=freshpopcorn;110753101
    It goes in one ear and out the other.[/QUOTE]
    That usually happens because there's nothing between the ears to hinder the progress.

Those who base their life choices around the movement of planets millions of miles away are gullible morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Scorpio!

He'll sting you with his dreams of power and wealth!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i love my horoscope but only if its good:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Scorpio!
    You will be bothered by something unimportant someone posts on the internet.
    A beautiful, intelligent, young billionaire heiress will pass you on the street and
    will fancy the pants off you, but you will never find out.
    Your little toenail will fall off. You might have cornflakes for breakfast.

Advertisement