Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-12-2018, 09:00   #31
honeybear

That documentary aired already this year (Sat & Sun). It was very sad. Documentary on 1 is a wonderful production and RTE Radio 1 get plenty of mileage out of them (repeats & podcasts). Well worth listening to them
Advertisement
30-12-2018, 09:26   #32

Did they ever hear about a Jewish lad who preached forgiveness and died for our sins? What a bunch of absolute *****.
(2) thanks from:
30-12-2018, 09:59   #33
KevRossi

There's still a hell of a lot of people in this country who quite openly support the idea that a child who is baptised has a right to a school place above one who is not. So yeah, the church holds sway amongst some people when its convenient for them.
30-12-2018, 14:21   #34
the_syco

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRossi View Post
There's still a hell of a lot of people in this country who quite openly support the idea that a child who is baptised has a right to a school place above one who is not. So yeah, the church holds sway amongst some people when its convenient for them.
Yup. Even now, the church still owns most schools, and thus still teach their lies to the youth of today.
30-12-2018, 14:48   #35
the_syco

Oh, and is history still optional, but religion mandatory?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-12-2018, 14:49   #36
Odhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley and Marley View Post
People blame the Catholic Church for everything that was wrong in Ireland back in those days but the truth is without the borderline cruelty of a lot of Irish citizens in the way they treated people the catholic church wouldn't have been able to do anything.

People seem to forget the church were not armed and if people actually just stood up to them and not tolerated their inhumane bull**** they wouldn't have had any power.People allowed the church to have the power they had because they just didn't stand up to them when it wouldn't have been that difficult a thing to do.

The church only had power and influence in ireland because irish people allowed them to have power and influence but the church is a really convenient whipping boy for all of the country's problems for so long because people just don't want to accept that their parents grandparents etc were complicit in allowing the church to have the negative influence on society that they had.

By the way I'm not saying the church weren't to blame just that they weren't solely to blame.

To speak against the Church was to invite the church to speak against yourself. Having been there and done that I can safely say that had I known how much damage that was going to do to me in terms of work opportunities in particular I would have kept my gob shut.
30-12-2018, 14:56   #37
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odhinn View Post
To speak against the Church was to invite the church to speak against yourself. Having been there and done that I can safely say that had I known how much damage that was going to do to me in terms of work opportunities in particular I would have kept my gob shut.
Very revealing post on many levels
(4) thanks from:
30-12-2018, 14:59   #38
sk8erboii

Quote:
iTs NoT tHe ChUrChEs fAulT

smh at apologists. They repressed irish society in such a malevolent and damaging way. Glad to see theyre dying out in this country
30-12-2018, 15:06   #39

Quote:
And yet the people in Listowel stood up against this priest and got the woman a christian burial which tells you they weren't quite as all powerful as people like to think they were.

If people in positions of influence stood up to the church they would have been powerless, people who could have done more to reduce their influence chose not to and decided to go along with what the church wanted.

I understand it was a brave choice to go against the church back in the day but sadly far too many people in this country were far too cowardly for too long.
Advertisement
30-12-2018, 15:08   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8erboii View Post
iTs NoT tHe ChUrChEs fAulT

smh at apologists. They repressed irish society in such a malevolent and damaging way. Glad to see theyre dying out in this country
I don't think there are any apologists on this thread.

The church were clearly wrong , however they only had power and influence because irish people let them.

Sometimes more than one thing is true.
30-12-2018, 15:29   #41
sk8erboii

Quote:
I don't think there are any apologists on this thread.

The church were clearly wrong , however they only had power and influence because irish people let them.

Sometimes more than one thing is true.
Mate theres someone blaming the people who brought her to a catholic hospital and NOT the people who wouldnt let her in. On the first page
30-12-2018, 15:39   #42
Church on Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Babbage View Post
One small observation. If Peggy McCarthy came from a family of 10, then Breda McCarthy must have had 9 aunts and uncles. Her remaining in an institution isn't entirely due to the church.
Yeah all good little Catholics brainwashed by the church.

Just because you share the same surname doesn't mean jot when you are pious trust me.
(2) thanks from:
30-12-2018, 16:03   #43
Fiery mutant

The biggest shock, is that people still turn up at the doors of these institutions every Sunday.

After all that religion has done to this country, this shocks me more than anything.
Thanks from:
30-12-2018, 17:11   #44
Edgware

Quote:
And yet the people in Listowel stood up against this priest and got the woman a christian burial which tells you they weren't quite as all powerful as people like to think they were.

If people in positions of influence stood up to the church they would have been powerless, people who could have done more to reduce their influence chose not to and decided to go along with what the church wanted.

I understand it was a brave choice to go against the church back in the day but sadly far too many people in this country were far too cowardly for too long.
Was it in Listowel that the neighbours queued up to shake hands will a local boyo convicted of a violent rape?
(2) thanks from:
30-12-2018, 17:12   #45
LirW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery mutant View Post
The biggest shock, is that people still turn up at the doors of these institutions every Sunday.

After all that religion has done to this country, this shocks me more than anything.
Even worse, they still baptise their children in order to get them in local schools and go mad over communion even though they never give a hoot about the church. It's also very important to get married in the church, but please make the mass as short as possible because they actually don't care about faith.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion