Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German DTT to transition to DVB-T2 with HEVC compression

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Croatia also planning the switch to DVB-T2 H.265/HEVC

Croatia to switch to DVB-T2 standard in 2019
    Sunday 8 January 2017

The Croatian Regulatory Authority for Network Industries (Hakom) has confirmed to T-Portal that Croatia should switch from DVB-T/MPEG-2 to the DVB-T2 H.265/HEVC digital TV standard in early 2019. Currently, work is under way on the strategy for the transition of digital terrestrial television to the DVB-T2 system and it should be adopted in 2017. However, the transition period could last for two years (from 2019 to 2021) to give the public enough time to get the necessary STB devices and/or new TVs.

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/croatia-to-switch-to-dvb-t2-standard-in-2019--1178704

Germany has started the transition to DVB-T2/HEVC tonight.

The old DVB-T/MPEG2 network began switching off at various sites at 11:00pm (incl. the DVB-T2/HEVC pilot mux) and by midday 69 sites covering 55m people will be covered by the new network. The transition will be done in 4 phases (29 Mar and 8 Nov 2017, Mar and Nov 2018), completing in mid-2019.

Of the 69 sites switching over today only 43 will carry the 3 commercial pay-TV muxes (€69 pa/€5.75 pm). At completion only 61 sites covering approx. 61m/80% of the population carry the commercial muxes.

Almost all channels will be in Full HD (1920x1080p/50) with 3 in qHD (960x540p/50). Mux parameters vary so capacities vary, the PSB muxes will be 18.2 & 22 Mbit/s respectively ensuring robust nationwide coverage and the 3 commercial muxes 27.6 Mbit/s. The equivalent UK DVB-T2 HD mux has a capacity of 40 Mbit/s.

The transition also clears the 700 Mhz band to make way for mobile services in 2019. The band made €1,000,445,000 at auction last summer

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm kind of surprised that they're going for 1080p over 1080i and perhaps some UHD channels instead.

byte wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised that they're going for 1080p over 1080i and perhaps some UHD channels instead.

A single UHD channel would consume 15-25 Mbit/s i.e. up to an entire DVB-T2/HEVC mux using German parameters. UHD on terrestrial TV will require much more efficient HEVC encoders or a new high efficient codec, a future H.266 standard maybe.

1080p is a no brainer with HEVC, most German muxes are carrying 5 or 6 1080p HD channels at bitrates between 3.5-4 Mbit/s.

At the same time these mux parameters allows for robust indoor, portable and mobile reception.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Indeed, you're quite right. I didn't think the numbers through at all.

Advertisement