Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JUNO to Jupiter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Malty_T wrote: »

Edit : Just saw this comment.

My response.
    Ahhhhh so thats why they call it rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Plug wrote: »
    Ahhhhh so thats why they call it rocket science!

No here is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think when you jumped for joy after the successful launch you must have banged your Malty and damaged the satire centre of your brain........or is the Poe Cortex of my brain tingling?

TV dinners....trailer park.....but he knows the word elliptical???

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Calibos wrote: »
    I think when you jumped for joy after the successful launch you must have banged your Malty and damaged the satire centre of your brain........or is the Poe Cortex of my brain tingling?

TV dinners....trailer park.....but he knows the word elliptical???

I thought it might be a poe and I sincerely hope it was, but alas, you can't know for certain either way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Any web sites where we can track this like we can the ISS or other satellite's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

CO19 wrote: »
    Any web sites where we can track this like we can the ISS or other satellite's ?

NASA have a cool program called Eyes in the Solar System. You can track planetary bodies and spacecraft and see where they are at any given time, past, present and future!

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Just to remind that this thread started 5 (five) years ago...nice adventure and hope & pray tonight for a happy ending journey !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

thi9nvM.jpg
    Nice revive on this topic OldRio.
    Most recent photo taken on the 29th June at 3.3 million miles, before power down. http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA20706

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Don't claim to have even a basic understanding of all this but I think it is incredible what we humans are achieving in the last few years.

Feel privileged to be alive to see all this. Whether it is successful or not, to even get this far is mindnubbingly brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Orbital insertion burn cutoff ...... JUNO has arrived. Orbital duration I believe is 53 days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

So will Juno be taking any photos ? or just sending back numerical data ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Photos coming back as numerical data :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Instruments are due to turned on in a couple of days. I think NASA are look at a date at around the end of August before they have both pictures and data, as we are now in the first of (I believe) the two initial 53 day orbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

They put a camera on it just to make people like us happy. They don't actually need it for the mission. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great to see that Juno has successfully entered orbit around Jupiter. I also look forward to the images. I think pictures are important for public outreach.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They put a camera on it just to make people like us happy. They don't actually need it for the mission. :pac:
    And the radiation is expected to render it unusable within 8 orbits. It doesn't have the zoom needed for looking at the moons in detail.

I'm still upset that if it wasn't for the delays to the Shuttle that Galileo could have had a ring side seat to Shoemaker-Levy 9, that and saving Skylab. *sobs* *starts rants* Dynasoar meant they could have had the X-37 50 years earlier. .... [/RANT]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

And the ancients had railways and steam engines and computers of a sort..... if they had put them together we could have been visiting the stars by now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rubecula wrote: »
    And the ancients had railways and steam engines and computers of a sort..... if they had put them together we could have been visiting the stars by now.
    Unfortunately not. The big difference of the Industrial Revolution was that there were more well off people.

Dark ages inventions like crop rotation, better horse harness and better plough meant less people were needed to grow food. Later on spectacles were invented and clothes became so cheap that not everyone wore the same set all their lives. So finally you have the conditions ready for printing, cheap paper from rags and people who would learn to read because they'd be able to read later in life.

So printed books , information explosion.

Many inventions only happen when the technology they depend on becomes available.
    Edison and Swann patented the light bulb at the same time.
    Bell patented the telephone about three hours before Elisha Gray, but of course it was Antonio Meucci who invented it or was it ...
    Konrad Zuse invented the computer. As did all the other groups.

As for Radar ? US, British Comonwealth, France , Germany , Japan, Italy and the Neatherlands all had working systems before WWII.

Despite all the secrecy of the others Hungry started developing radar in 1942 and had a working microwave system in 1944. A modified version was able to do a moon-bounce in 1946. http://hackaday.com/2013/11/19/retrotechtacular-zoltan-bays-moon-bounce-coulometer-signal-amplifier/

Contrast that to Imperial China which suppressed a lot of inventions in an attempt to keep the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^^ I'm off to play Civilization 5 after reading that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Lets hope for some great photos and some interesting readings, after Juno's fly-by some 4,500 km above the clouds of Jupiter yesterday.

Will be keeping a special eye on the NASA website over the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Pics/VID are up.

And so Juno sends back stunning images of Jupiter's North polar region. So many small swirling storms and hardly recognisable from the familiar cloud bands we see on the planet. I am very hopeful that Juno will will answer a lot of questions we have about my namesake planet!:)

pia21030_main_2_north_polar_full-disk_a.png?itok=Qz_Qqf3n

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasas-juno-mission-exits-safe-mode-performs-trim-maneuver/
    NASA's Juno Mission Exits Safe Mode, Performs Trim Maneuver
    Juno will perform its next science flyby of Jupiter on Dec. 11,

Juno has just had a successful third perijove encounter, passing the giant Jupiter closely. This follows it going into safe mode at the last perijove encounter.

Pics and other data to follow soon!:)

Some lovely images from Juno:

BeneathJupiter_Juno_960.jpg

Juno captured the Jovian rings from inside, anyone spot Orion??

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2Ni8zNjQvaTAyL2p1bm8tanVwaXRlci1yaW5ncy0xLmpwZz8xNDk1NzUxOTE0

• Advertisement

Breathtaking views of Jupiter.

Advertisement