Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The OJ Simpson verdict and other blatant miscarriages of justice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Virgil° wrote: »
    West Memphis 3. 3 kids spend 18 years in prison for the crime of being alternative in bible belt USA.
    Whats worse is because the state cannot be incorrect by law they can't even conduct another trial with all the new evidence.
    Great documentary on it called "West of Memphis"

Part of them being released meant they had to plead guilty, thereby absolving the state of any responsibility for their wrongful incarceration. One of them was dead set against it, Baldwin I think, and only relented because they were going to execute Damien Echols. He would rather have stayed in prison and cleared his name than be free and guilty in the eyes of the law.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 CongoDance

Lads could we use spoiler tags where there are documentaries online about some of these cases. Especially the ones with a few twists and turns in the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Sean O'Brien.

Who the fup is Sean O Brien?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

For a criminal case anything less than 100% means the jury has to say not-guilty.

That's not current though. In fact, that is completely made up. It's nothing like 100%...though expressing it as some percentage is wrong to begin with - unlike the balance of probabilities which is often explained in terms of 50/50. The opening chapters of any standard textbook on criminal law, or any charge to the jury in criminal trials, usually contains a neat synopsis of the meaning.
    There was a civil case and he wasn't found innocent or even close to innocent.

It is not the function of the civil case to determine guilt in the usual sense of that word, much less innocence, merely responsibility for a tort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Don't know about blatant, but the Edward Earl Johnson case looks pretty damning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

In the 1980s Kelly achieved fame throughout Ireland after he had been sentenced, in 1978, to 12 years in prison for his alleged part in the Sallins Train Robbery. The ensuing campaign to release him became a symbol of the 1980s with 'Free Nicky Kelly' graffiti posted throughout the country. The evidence of torture committed against him and his two co-accused, Osgur Breatnach and Brian McNally, galvanized a campaign for his release. There was a dedication to him in the 1983 Planxty album, Words & Music.

In 1984 Kelly was eventually released on "humanitarian grounds". He received a presidential pardon in 1992, along with over £1 million as compensation following campaigns by Amnesty and the ICCL.

The events of Kelly's arrest and trial(s) were the subject of an edition of the RTE documentary series Scannal, broadcast 22 September 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

CongoDance wrote: »
    I was watching a documentary the other night on the OJ Simpson trial and how he got away with it is beyond me. His victims' blood were all over his car and bedroom.

What else, in your opinion, have been blatant miscarriages of justice?

Don't watch documentaries, is the lesson, I watched the trial as it happened and it seemed obvious a not guilty verdict would be returned, despite most of the legal experts in the media saying otherwise at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Bambi wrote: »
    Don't watch documentaries, is the lesson, I watched the trial as it happened and it seemed obvious a not guilty verdict would be returned, despite most of the legal experts in the media saying otherwise at the time

As soon as the 'glove' happened they should have called a halt right there and then and gone to the beach.

In years to come "If it doesn't fit you must acquit" will be up there with "I have a dream" and other famous quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

My mother was engrossed by this trial at the time and watched it as it happened too. She was of the same opinion, that there was no way he was going to be found guilty.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are white because most black people believe he was correctly found innocent. I think it plays out that way white people Sat he was guilty black people say hhe was innocent. So maybe not a true miscarriage of justice

You can't be serious, a large percentage of black people sided with O.J primarily because they didn't trust cops at the time, this was soon after the Rodney King beating, so they were angry at the system and wanted some form of revenge.

If you watch any of the recent documentaries on O.J that include recently unearthed footage from his civil trial, you'd have to be gone in the head to think he was innocent.

Here's a clip from one of them, my favourite part is when his eyes almost pop out of his head when he realises he's been caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

PressRun wrote: »
    My mother was engrossed by this trial at the time and watched it as it happened too. She was of the same opinion, that there was no way he was going to be found guilty.

It was actually my old man who was pointing out to me how the defence were constantly bowling the prosecution out.

And yet the experts they wheeled out on sky were happy to feed the media narrative that the prosecution were onto a good thing.

It was actually my old man who was pointing out to me how the defence were constantly bowling the prosecution out.

And yet the experts they wheeled out on sky were happy to feed the media narrative that the prosecution were onto a good thing.

Yeah, it sounds like the prosecution simply didn't do enough to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did it, while OJ's lawyers just mauled them on the finer details. I'm not even sure if his defence team even entirely believed that he was innocent themselves, but he got his money's worth from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There was a thread about OJ Simpson in After Hours a few years back. At one point people were saying how could you defend someone like OJ Simpson if you were a lawyer. Knowing the evidence stacked up against him it was pretty obvious he did it.

Que certain people saying that if they were a solicitor/lawyer they would defend him. Personally I think that is horrible. Like no no, doesn't matter if he is a murderer. I guess greed and morals don't mix.

There was a thread about OJ Simpson in After Hours a few years back. At one point people were saying how could you defend someone like OJ Simpson if you were a lawyer. Knowing the evidence stacked up against him it was pretty obvious he did it.

Que certain people saying that if they were a solicitor they would defend him. Personally I think that is horrible. Like no no, doesn't matter if he is a murderer. I guess greed and morals don't mix.

Well, everyone is entitled to be defended in court. It just so happens that OJ had the best defence attorneys money could buy.

I recently read an article in the New Yorker (I think) about a defence lawyer who only takes on "the worst of the worst". She has built a career on defending the indefensible. She took on the Boston Bomber, the Unabomber and Jared Lee Loughner. Granted, her aim is to fight the death penalty for these particular clients rather than trying to get them acquitted, and she says she takes them on because she doesn't believe anyone is a monster, but it proves that there are lawyers out there who like the challenge, and everyone deserves a good lawyer in their corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

The fact that the Michael Jackson child molestation accusations actually got to court, despite the fact it was all made up and was pretty obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Slab Murphy his only "crime" was that he was a "good republican".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

The fact that the Michael Jackson child molestation accusations actually got to court, despite the fact it was all made up and was pretty obvious.
    It was?

You sleep in a bed with children who are not your own?

You kinda takes your chances.

Que certain people saying that if they were a solicitor/lawyer they would defend him. Personally I think that is horrible. Like no no, doesn't matter if he is a murderer. I guess greed and morals don't mix.

The lawyers for the Birmingham Six were wrong too. Disgusting. Back in the 1970s, everyone knew they did it. How much more did you need? You had the confessions, the science, everything. Greedy immoral pigs, no no it doesn't matter that they planted explosives to kill civilians. Hell unlike OJ, they were convicted...

Etc. etc. etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ken wrote: »
    As soon as the 'glove' happened they should have called a halt right there and then and gone to the beach.

In years to come "If it doesn't fit you must acquit" will be up there with "I have a dream" and other famous quotes.
    I'd love to know where he got leather gloves that don't shrink when they get wet.

Also I've heard the guy was doped to the gills with tranquillisers during the trial so the jury didn't get to see the real person.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Should be on trial again that OJ Simpson.
    He "gave" us the Kardashians after all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Azalea wrote: »
    It was?

the prosecution literally argued that Michael Jackson tried to kidnap them in a hot air balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭maxximus

wm3 a dodgy one , but if you trawl the net there is a lot of very hard to refute evidence that misskelly was definitely at the crime scene. Also though syed was definitely not given a fair trial he is as guilty as hell!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ruben Carter (The Hurricane) is an interesting one, I think. Apparently there was ample evidence that he was guilty and that's why he was convicted twice for the treble murder but was actually released from prison due to a technicality and not how it was portrayed by Hollywood. Bob Dylan won't sing the song he wrote in support of him at the time either.

Any links worth reading on this? Wikipedia isn't giving me much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The Meredith Kercher murder trial....the dogs on the street could tell Knox and Sollecito were involved. How they got away with it beyond me.

The Pistorius case was not a miscarriage of justice in my opinion....there is no concrete evidence to prove he planned to murder Reeva Steenkamp.

Advertisement