Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The OJ Simpson verdict and other blatant miscarriages of justice

Options
  • 01-01-2016 8:42pm
    Site Banned Posts: 16

I was watching a documentary the other night on the OJ Simpson trial and how he got away with it is beyond me. His victims' blood were all over his car and bedroom.

What else, in your opinion, have been blatant miscarriages of justice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭DecTipp

Steven averys life sentence

• Site Banned Posts: 16 CongoDance

DecTipp wrote: »
    Steven averys life sentence

His nephew was innocent. Steven? Im not so sure. The Netflix doc left lots out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Harry Gleeson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The A-Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bertie and the mahon tribunal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

DecTipp wrote: »
    Steven avery
    s life sentence

GODDAM IT. I'm only two episodes in you fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Ruben Carter (The Hurricane) is an interesting one, I think. Apparently there was ample evidence that he was guilty and that's why he was convicted twice for the treble murder but was actually released from prison due to a technicality and not how it was portrayed by Hollywood. Bob Dylan won't sing the song he wrote in support of him at the time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

CongoDance wrote: »
    I was watching a documentary the other night on the OJ Simpson trial and how he got away with it is beyond me. His victims' blood were all over his car and bedroom.

I'm guessing you are white because most black people believe he was correctly found innocent. I think it plays out that way white people Sat he was guilty black people say hhe was innocent. So maybe not a true miscarriage of justice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Iwao Hakamada - 45 years on death row in Japan before retrial and exoneration. Police had fabricated evidence for the initial trial.

Death row in Japan is not like USA - execution dates are not known to inmates well in advance, but are actually kept secret, and inmates are often only informed of their execution on the morning of the actual execution.

Hakamada spent more than 16000 nights wondering if this would be his last time ever falling asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Guildford Four and Maguire Seven. Horrible miscarriages of justice in both cases

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are white because most black people believe he was correctly found innocent. I think it plays out that way white people Sat he was guilty black people say hhe was innocent. So maybe not a true miscarriage of justice

Dont be silly. My thinking that he was guilty has nothing to do with his skin colour. It has everything to do with the very large amount of evidence against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

DellyBelly wrote: »

Didn't he pretty much admit he was guilty in his book "If I Did It"? I'm not sure there are many people who believe he is innocent

The Mandy Power murder case in Wales seems dodgy to me. Sorry, daily mail link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2845510/Who-REALLY-murdered-married-WPC-s-lesbian-lover.html#article-2845510

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Didn't he pretty much admit he was guilty in his book "If I Did It"? I'm not sure there are many people who believe he is innocent

Yes but he wrote it as a book of fiction so not admitting to the actual crimes.

OJ Simpson was not a miscarriage of justice in that there was no fabrication of evidence. A jury finding that there is not enough evidence to convict, it is simply not established beyond reasonable doubt, is possibly the essence of the justice system. It is completely different to cases like the Birmingham Six. Of course one may disagree with the jury verdict, I don't necessarily, in that the prosecution really botched it. And that is the function of a Court, not to establish truth as if it's some scientific matter, but to see if the weight of evidence is sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Miscarriage of justice!! :mad::mad::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Adnan Syed

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

CongoDance wrote: »

Wasn't aware any such evidence was ever found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Sean O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Max Branning rotting in prison for a crime he didn't commit, free the Walford One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

Foxxy knoxxy got away with murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Padraig Nally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Virgil°

West Memphis 3. 3 kids spend 18 years in prison for the crime of being alternative in bible belt USA.
    Whats worse is because the state cannot be incorrect by law they can't even conduct another trial with all the new evidence.
    Great documentary on it called "West of Memphis"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thierry Henry - Nov 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

West Memphis 3 is an insane case. Ditto for Avery. Not sure about Adnan Syed.

OJ...comical how he got away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The Montreal Screwjob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

The execution of 14 year old George Stinney in 1944 has to be one of the most barbaric miscarriages of justice ever committed in the United States. He was convicted by an all-white jury after 10 minutes of deliberation of the murders of two little white girls after supposedly 'confessing' (though there is no evidence of any confession, written or otherwise). There was no physical evidence connecting him to the crime and the police officers who claimed to have gotten the confession from him were never challenged on the issue. He was executed by means of the electric chair less than three months later. His conviction was only overturned in 2014 after it was ruled he had not been given a fair trial, had not received adequate defense and had had his rights violated. His execution was ruled 'cruel and unusual punishment'. The full, gruesome reality of just how racist a legal system can be.

Surprisingly, to this day, members of the families of the two little girls still believe he did it, despite the fact that there was no evidence to connect him to the crime and despite claims that an individual from well-known white family in the community was said to have confessed towards the end of their life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OJ Simpson was not a miscarriage of justice in that there was no fabrication of evidence. A jury finding that there is not enough evidence to convict, it is simply not established beyond reasonable doubt, is possibly the essence of the justice system.
    For a criminal case anything less than 100% means the jury has to say not-guilty.

There was a civil case and he wasn't found innocent or even close to innocent.
    The Goldman and Brown families then sued him in civil court, and that jury unanimously found Simpson liable for the murders. He was ordered to pay a total of $33.5 million, made up of $8.5 million in compensatory damages to the Goldmans and $25 million in punitive damages to be split between the Goldmans and Nicole's children.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Pistorius getting away with murder.

Richard Glossip, who is rotting away on Death Row for apparently getting a lad to kill his boss, he was convicted of it because the murderer said he put him up to it, but there was no concrete evidence that he did order the killing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Deirdre Barlow and Steve Biko.

Advertisement