Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belly Austerity 2016

Options
  • 01-01-2016 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭

The 1st of January triggers a season of desire to banish the Christmas gluttony for a lot of people.

Personally I am going to wait until the 4th January and then go on a month (ie 4 weeks) of no booze and healthy eating. I may even do some exercises. :)

No weight loss targets, just get healthier and clear the crap out of my system.

Who else is on a Belly Austerity mission this month?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Menas wrote: »
    The 1st of January triggers a season of desire to banish the Christmas gluttony for a lot of people.

Personally I am going to wait until the 4th January and then go on a month (ie 4 weeks) of no booze and healthy eating. I may even do some exercises. :)

No weight loss targets, just get healthier and clear the crap out of my system.

Who else is on a Belly Austerity mission this month?!

Count me in on this. Been slowly putting weight on for the last year or so. Need to get rid of it.

Not sure "clearing the crap out of the system" for a month will get anywhere, if the crap starts again in February. You just had a kinda pointless month!

Without prescribing anything, did you consider staying on the booze and poor eating through January and long beyond...with just less of each? You may not see many results in a month and be setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Fcuk that more breakfast rolls , steak and beer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I am on one since 1982...Will try again this year and a belly belly happy new year to all your bellys.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Half the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Having a dry January, start back training in less than 2 weeks. I'd imagine training will be packed for the first couple of weeks, then the usual drop off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I don't drink that whole lot or eat extra over Christmas, so I'm not too bad. Don't have a belly. Didn't get much exercise though, so will start back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

January, the Irish Ramadan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Menas wrote: »
    I may even do some exercises. :)

Good news, there's no need to. Apparently you'll burn about 1 calorie per day while using the keyboard on Boards.ie. So that should have the exercise part covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Going to head to the gym tomorrow, this will be a shock to the system.

Going to keep it simple...gym three times a week, less crap food, more fruit, more veg....serious reduction in the consumption of booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I plan to lose about 20lbs this year (original plan was 15lbs but that plan was made before the christmas gorge) would prefer to go by fat % but I'm not fancy enough to get one of those scales

hairyslug wrote: »
    I plan to lose about 20lbs this year (original plan was 15lbs but that plan was made before the christmas gorge) would prefer to go by fat % but I'm not fancy enough to get one of those scales

The scales are rubbish anyway.

Get a cheap measuring tape and take pictures of your progress.

Scales aren't always truthful. I have lost no weight in about 18 months but I'm much thinner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Had more "binge" drinking sessions over the past 3 weeks than in the rest of 2015 combined - not feeling particularly amazing. I'm probably up about 4/5 lbs, which all things considered ain't too bad - I was down about 4 stone on the year before the Christmas madness, so I'm in a much better position than this time last year. Also really enjoyed the Christmas - so I've 0 regrets about it.

I'll start training again on the 4th. My eating has stayed fairly alright so won't need any big diet alterations or anything. Goals for the year are to drop maybe 1 more stone, 2 waist inches, improve my bench press weight by at least 50% and do some sort of formal running event - maybe a half marathon. Not exactly setting the world alight, but we'll see how it goes.

Anyone else get a little bit of masochistic enjoyment out of the January comedown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

January is the new Lent.

In reality I think people should wait until February. It's a short month and the days are getting longer. It really can do much good to fast at the most depressing point of the year.

Or don't overdo Christmas.

I'm off out tonight and tomorrow. Screw the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm walking nearly every day to try and lose a few pounds. Do about 6/7 miles as fast as I can walk.
    I find that the more i walk the hungrier i get though and usually end up having a big sandwich on my return.

I'm walking nearly every day to try and lose a few pounds. Do about 6/7 miles as fast as I can walk.
    I find that the more i walk the hungrier i get though and usually end up having a big sandwich on my return.

I reality, you're probably burning about 500/600 calories with your walk. Depending on what's on your sandwich, you may be just eating what you've burned. However it's of course all down to everything else you eat, not just that sandwich. And it's definitely mostly down to food and not exercise.

If anyone is considering "detoxing" then don't waste your time. Just improve your general diet - eat less sugar and junk food - and move more. Detoxing is a fad, fads are no use.

Amirani wrote: »

Anyone else get a little bit of masochistic enjoyment out of the January comedown?

God yeh. Christmas really just gets in the way of my goals, now I could be good and not eat mince pies and not drink lovely wine and baileys coffees and delicious whiskey and beer, but really what's the point of that? I enjoy them. I love christmas and what comes with it, but I'm definitely only delighted to get back to eating like a normal non giant person and back to an exercise "plan" rather than just "oh I might run today, or I might not".

Monday I'll be back to only eating food I've prepared. This layer of mince pies and turkey won't lose itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Weighed myself today and was pleasantly surprised, I have put on about 4 or 5 kilos in the last 6 months (since getting to my goal weight) but it had gone up to 6 or 7 kg so it's heading in the right direction!

I've been very disciplined today and hopefully I'll be more motivated when I see myself shrinking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Drop the bread, mayo, butter, etc and just eat protein

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Drop the bread, mayo, butter, etc and just eat protein

There ain't a thing wrong with butter.

Don't "just eat protein". That's not a healthy diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What food is tasty and you can eat a load of without putting on more weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I don't think there's an easy answer to that! At the end of the day, it's most important to eat food that's filling (ie high satiety index).

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/lose-weight/the-satiety-index-9767

Boiled or scrambled eggs are surprisingly filling if you find them tasty and try to eat more beans (haricot, chickpea, kidney, butter beans ect) with your food -- this is helpful to prevent over-eating the fattier red meats. Porridge is a more filling breakfast than cereal -- i find myself being less hungry during lunch.

Honestly I don't think you should aim to 'eat a load' of anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I reality, you're probably burning about 500/600 calories with your walk. Depending on what's on your sandwich, you may be just eating what you've burned. However it's of course all down to everything else you eat, not just that sandwich. And it's definitely mostly down to food and not exercise.

If anyone is considering "detoxing" then don't waste your time. Just improve your general diet - eat less sugar and junk food - and move more. Detoxing is a fad, fads are no use.

Thanks for these nutritional and dietary pearls of wisdom. The awards for dietetic distinction are on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭starry_eyed

I went on a diet in December to be different and will work on the beer belly in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A really thick fat free yogurt? Will make you feel full and can be fairly tasty.

The equivalent of, for instance, a box of pringles would not in any way make you feel full.

Did they ever do a calories vs. Feeling of fullness vs. Taste index? Surely that'd be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You're better off getting fit than losing weight, a fit fat person is better than an unfit skinny person

21/25

Advertisement