Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things I don't get about Irish weddings MOD WARNING POST #322

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Exactly. It was a country house hotel reception so no food available to buy there. The drive from the church was nearly an hour so we didn't even get there til nearly 2. by the time we realised there was no food to be gotten there it was nearly 3 and we were thinking that with dinner being at 5 to just wait it out.

End result, really sozzled guests by dinner.
    I hope the photos were worth it. I've been that soldier!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Tis kind of a handy thread few things I have taken note so as not to step on the guests toes and think about them on the day too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Milly33 wrote: »
    Tis kind of a handy thread few things I have taken note so as not to step on the guests toes and think about them on the day too

I'm sure you are thinking of them already and trying to make your day different and special.

Forget your magicians, sketch artists, party favours, and photo booth thingies etc. No-one cares about them or remembers them six months later.

Spend your money instead on keeping your guests fed (before the meal!) and watered much better value!

And no long speeches!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ok all noted. I am only have balloons maybe that it and bubbles !! hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hunger really ruins an otherwise good wedding. There was one I went to that the dinner was pretty skimpy and the afters nibbles were gone before even half the people got to them, it was a country house job so no food to be served. People started calling taxis to do take away runs.

Not good. All I recall about that wedding is how hungry I was at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

amdublin wrote: »
    7. Speeches before dinner.
    See above, we are starving. If you want people to pay attention to your speeches do them during dessert. Or at a push during soup.

Much easier said than done.

If the people partaking in the speeches are nervous and have mentioned it, it is only fair to do speeches before the meal otherwise said speakers would not enjoy the meal at all.

Having said that speeches should only be 3-5 minute affair at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

PCros wrote: »
    Much easier said than done.

If the people partaking in the speeches are nervous and have mentioned it, it is only fair to do speeches before the meal otherwise said speakers would not enjoy the meal at all.

Having said that speeches should only be 3-5 minute affair at the most.

If the speeches are good, then they can go on for longer than 5 minutes - sure you'd never get anything across about a person in that time. I know the person I was best man for would have felt short changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Xmas weddings , stop wrecking my Xmas please.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    If the speeches are good, then they can go on for longer than 5 minutes - sure you'd never get anything across about a person in that time. I know the person I was best man for would have felt short changed.

Yes the best mans maybe, the rest shouldn’t really be too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

My daughter (age of 9) loves weddings (I don't). She loves them because 'they're like a big long party'.

She elaborated with the following.........

'First of all you have the boring bit, then you have the bit with the photos being taken and stuff, then you get to go to the hotel, then you get your food and then there's the dancing bit, but it goes on for the whole day!! '

I think I'll send her as my ambassador or representative to any future weddings to which I'm invited!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Hunger really ruins an otherwise good wedding. There was one I went to that the dinner was pretty skimpy and the afters nibbles were gone before even half the people got to them
    Not good. All I recall about that wedding is how hungry I was at it.

Did you not get a bite of communion bread in the church as well, or did that run out as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

PCros wrote: »
    Yes the best mans maybe, the rest shouldn’t really be too long.

My dad writes great speeches and he did 20 mins at my sister's wedding. It was a really nice tribute to her. So much so that I'd like him to do one for me if I get married - And I'm a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 grace80

I am getting married in Spain this year and I hate the perception that couples do this to save money.

It is quite the opposite in fact and is working out a hell of a lot more expensive for us than had we booked a venue in Ireland. We’re paying for a free bar for the whole day and night as a thank you to those that make the effort and expense to travel over. Even aside from that, venues and food packages are pricier than Ireland.

Those on here who moan about having to go to a foreign wedding, it’s very simple – don’t go! We know that this will be the attitude of some of our guests and know that the ones who are there, will actually want to be there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Speeches before dinner

Seems like a good idea for those nervous about public speaking BUT

Speeches never last the amount of time that you think and I've been at a few weddings where the grub got overcooked as the speeches ran over.

Whatever about a bad speech, nobody will forget bad grub!

What I don't get is those horrendous facinators that women of a certain age have been wearing to weddings this past 15 years or so. Seriously what's so attractive about wearing half a bird on the side of your head.

Did you not get a bite of communion bread in the church as well, or did that run out as well ?

Im not Catholic, I dont partake.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What I don't get is those horrendous facinators that women of a certain age have been wearing to weddings this past 15 years or so. Seriously what's so attractive about wearing half a bird on the side of your head.

Its a current trend back in the 80's it was big hats. A lot of people like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

grace80 wrote: »
    Those on here who moan about having to go to a foreign wedding, it’s very simple – don’t go! We know that this will be the attitude of some of our guests and know that the ones who are there, will actually want to be there.

Your kidding yourself if you believe that everyone over there is going to be thrilled that they had to go to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I might want to be at a wedding out foreign but the logistics would prevent me going. It's simply not true that everyone who wants to attend a wedding, be it in Ireland or elsewhere, can do so. There's myriad reasons why some one who would very much want to attend a wedding can't go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Was invited to a colleague's wedding a number of years ago. It was a morning wedding with dinner in the evening. Myself and another work colleague got our own food at the hotel around lunchtime. I wasn't expecting them to keep me fed all day. I know this isn't always possible depending on the location but have some common sense.

Last wedding I was at the best man got polluted by speech time and could only deliver a 2 minute speech. Twas great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 grace80

Your kidding yourself if you believe that everyone over there is going to be thrilled that they had to go to Spain.

One thing I don't get about Irish weddings is people's attitude that they simply HAVE to go to a wedding when invited. No one is holding a gun to your head! The bride, groom and anyone else there will manage to survive if you don't make it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I don't really understand a lot of the ire in this thread about the distance to a venue. My fiance and I are getting married in 2015. We are getting married in her home-place and then we are having the reception an hour away from the church. We chose it because it is beautiful and reasonably priced, both for the wedding and for any guests that may like to stay over. We could have it in a place that's 30 minutes away instead of an hour, but it would cost us an extra €20 per head, and it would cost any guests an awful lot more in room rates and bar prices or else it's a big hotel with no personality and where every joe in the area gets married. Her mother is already expressing concern about the distance to the venue because certain family members/neighbours might not go. My response is if they can't be arsed to make a small bit of an effort to celebrate our day with us, then I'm not arsed if they're there or not.

We fell in love with the venue and that was that. Why should we have it in a location or venue that we don't like to save you a half an hour? You are invited to a wedding, nobody except the bride and groom are obligated to attend. If the venue is inconvenient for you, don't go.

Speeches never last the amount of time that you think and I've been at a few weddings where the grub got overcooked as the speeches ran over.

Simply not true. You have to factor in that 90% percent of wedding menus will have a starter and/or soup served first before the mains would come out thus allowing the kitchen to cook the meat properly.

Any decent 4 or 5 star hotel would not let meat be overcooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I had hoped to do the speeches at our wedding between the starter and soup course so people wouldn't be hungry but the hotel vetoed it they said they couldn't control the timing if we interrupted service. And i have to agree with them when they pointed it out.

So it's either before or after. My poor father hates public speaking so it will be before. THink i will have extra canapes though for the drinks reception. The hotel were going to provide biscuits, sandwiches and spring rolls as part of the package and i was going to add a popcorn bar (Pick your own topping) but reading this thread im thinking it could be good to have extra canapes and let the guests know speeches will be before the meal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't really understand a lot of the ire in this thread about the distance to a venue.

Because it's an absolute pain in the backside sitting in a car for an hour in your lovely frock and makeup. And you can't even sit back comfortably with your head near the car seat because you'll ruin your nice hair style.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    The hotel were going to provide biscuits, sandwiches and spring rolls as part of the package and i was going to add a popcorn bar (Pick your own topping) but reading this thread im thinking it could be good to have extra canapes and let the guests know speeches will be before the meal.

Good plan! Some nice triangle sandwiches might be the job.

Ha ha yeah I don't get that all!
    Its a current trend back in the 80's it was big hats. A lot of people like them.

Hmm. I don't know. A lot of women I see, look like they know they know the silly yoke looks silly on them but it's the "done thing" so they just do it. Emperors new clothes methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

amdublin wrote: »
    Good plan! Some nice triangle sandwiches might be the job.

You keep banging on about this point! I have been to 9 weddings in the past two years, and there was only one where there were no canapes/ sandwiches served between the ceremony and meal. It's not really the norm any more! Maybe a few years back, but these days it even comes part of the "standard package" in most standard hotels.

With regard the point of travelling an hour between church and venue. I agree that it would be best if it could be avoided. For us, it meant choosing between a standard hotel and your standard €50 a head package or whatever they charge, or going for something a bit different that our guests would enjoy and remember (and we could provide a lot more for them) but travelling an hour away. Some will complain, but given that they won't have to put their hands in their pockets til the first dance and accommodation won't cost them more than €35 per head, I think they might just get over the drive! I will admit though that it did stress us out when choosing a venue.

kkcatlou wrote: »
    You keep banging on about this point! I have been to 9 weddings in the past two years, and there was only one where there were no canapes/ sandwiches served between the ceremony and meal. It's not really the norm any more! Maybe a few years back, but these days it even comes part of the "standard package" in most standard hotels.

Lucky you, theres only been in between food served at a couple of weddings Ive ever attended. Although I did really like one where the bar had amazing food and we just ordered our own lunch then wandered on into the drinks reception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Our venue was about 45-50 min from church. Nothing got to do with price tho. Was gorgeous unlimited food with beautiful canapés and quality wine. Versus the crap that was our 3 local hotels where the meat would've been tough, crap wine and cocktail sausages on arrival. (Dont get me wrong I do like cocktail sausages). However, none of the guests complained about the drive as the food was so good and they were all sozzled on the wine, dancing on the full floor till 3 ish and drinking in the bar till 5-6am.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement